BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay...I know the Search button is my friend, but I don't feel like there is consensus on this yet even with all the people who have H&R or Hartge springs installed now. I hope this thread will help me and others alike.

I'm getting H&R springs right now, and have a well recommended local shop ready to install them for me. My local BMW dealership gave me a quote on re-alignment of $300. When I told that to my local shop, they flipped out, as quotes on other BMWs they work on run $130, and the alignment shop they work with charges $110.

So the big question is... Is there anything "special" about the alignment on an E60 M5 that I should go to my dealer instead of the local shop?

A member or two mentioned BMW supposedly hangs weight bags from the car to simulate driving forces. Is this just BS, or is that a common thing for alignment on a car like this? Is this something I should be concerned enough about to take to BMW, or should a good alignment shop be just fine.

Thanks!

·
Registered
547 Posts
James, if you break things down to race car type scenario's - even the old machines are still perfectly fine to use in the right hands.

I believe that the BMW wheel alignment machine will ensure all 4 wheels are correct etc., uses lasers etc. - it may be slightly more accurate, but I very much doubt you or I would notice.

If your local shop knows what they are doing then I would just use them. Unless you have any strange problems like tracking issues (i.e. if you have hit a kurb or something) then a normal machine should be able to do the job.

A good friend of mine who does a lot of racing sorted out another car of mine with the very simple wheel alignment tools used for many years (i.e. tools like these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Laser-Toe-Gauge-Wheel-Alignment-Tool_W0QQitemZ130019697043QQcmdZViewItem
- the old spirit level type). Worked perfectly.

·
Registered
902 Posts
$300 is ridiculous. They should be charging you their standard hourly rate (last I checked, most dealers were charging $115 to $125 per hour). The job shouldn't take much more than an hour.

Just have the installer send it out to their alignment shop. It will be fine.

·
Registered
390 Posts
fast4door said:
was that for a 4 way alignment maybe ??
I had a 4 wheel alignment after my H&R Springs were installed by TMS. My BM dealer charge me $120. I think $300 is outrageous. I'm really tired of retailers of anytype trying to rip people off because the make good money. I know I contractor that set's his rates by town. No difference in his work quality he simply thinks people well off will pay more. I think car dealers for premium and exotic cars do the same thing. A high end exhaust for a Corvette is $1100 and the X Pipe is $299. A Supersprint Exhaust for an M5/M6 is $1800 and another $500 for the X pipe. No difference in Quality.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well...after all this discussion, next time I check in with my dealer I'll ask them about the quote on re-alignment again. However, it doesn't look like that will be with the H&R spring installation since I'm going to follow advice here and work with the shop the installers use (basically next door and also well recommended).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts