BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buddy of mine just picked up a brand new white M5.

Wonder what suspension you guys are running? This is what I heard is available...

KW Variant 3 coilovers (just got released)

H&R Springs (not low enough)

RD Sport Springs (sits lower than H&R :thumbsup:)

I would suggest the KW's:goldcup: based on my experience with other vehicles

·
Registered
930 Posts
H&R's sit pretty low. I'm not sure you want to go lower. I have to be carefull going up driveways etc.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I agree with 905. The H & R's sit very low, plus you loose the EDC when you change the shocks as you would with coilovers.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Buddy of mine just picked up a brand new white M5.

Wonder what suspension you guys are running? This is what I heard is available...

KW Variant 3 coilovers (just got released)

H&R Springs (not low enough)

RD Sport Springs (sits lower than H&R :thumbsup:)

I would suggest the KW's:goldcup: based on my experience with other vehicles
I have been searching and deciding on what was the best suspension solution for my car a few weeks ago and was deciding between H&R Sport Springs, Dinan Stage 2, or KW Variant 3 Coilovers.

KW Variant 3 Coilovers - are great but you lose or have to disable the EDC function, which from what I've heard, causes a lot of "on-screen" warning messages on your idrive once EDC is disabled. KW Variant 3 Coilovers aren't cheap ($3k+), which in my opinion, you might as well go with the Dinan Stage 2 suspension kit (under $2,600), which includes the front roll controll system and rear anti-roll sway bars while maintaining the original stock suspension without disabling the EDC feature. Plus with Dinan, at least you wont need to worry about voiding your warranty with BMW servicing, that's what my service rep told me. I don't know it that is true with all dealers.

I guess it really depends on what type of driver you are and what you need the suspension for. In my case I wasn't going to take the car on the track or use the car in a way I would utilize any of the features in my daily driving that KW or Dinan has to offer. I guess, why spend so much money on suspension when you dont think you are going to take full advantage of it. So, I came to the conclusion that I would go with H&R Sport Springs since they are a much cheaper solution ($500 installed) without having to disable the EDC feature and being able to get a decent suspension drop. And for those who are worried about voiding the warranty by changing your suspension, at least with springs, you can always put the original OEM springs back before you bring your car back in for service. I haven't personally done that yet, but I hear that it works. Just my opinion of course. :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
I too agree with 905 and M5 Power. My cousin slapped on the Dinan stage 2 kit and he is extremely happy with the results; no i-drive errors and the SA guaruntees software re-flashes should a new update from BMW be released. You gotta watch out for pot holes/speed bumps/driver ways as low as that kit takes you. The H&R's are definitely a good set for the daily driver and do give most drivers that desired "look" and suspension requirement. It's all dependant on what your friend wants to do with that car and how far he wants to stretch his dollar. It's a toss up between the H&R's and the Dinan's

·
Registered
930 Posts
I've been very happy with the H&R set up. If I end up tracking the car more I may consider adding the Dinan Stage 2.

·
Registered
7,327 Posts
I'm a Dinan fan but I went with RDSport springs because they give your car a forward slopping stance where the front is just a tiny bit lower than the rear. I did not like the Dinan springs as the front sits higher than the rear. I then added the Dinan front roll control system as well as the rear sway bars and the front and rear CF strut braces and I think my car handles fantastic and has a very aggressive stance. I have no problems navigating driveways even though I also added the Hartge splitter to the front. I've attached a picture of my car below although it's probably not a close enough view.

As for the shocks, I kept the stock EDC system but may eventually add the RDSport coilover system that's currently in joint development with Sachs Germany which will keep EDC functionality.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,327 Posts
Man, looking at my picture again, there's no way to see the gaps...haha oh well

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
If your friend's priority is looks, the just get whatever springs "slam" the car the most and be done with it. The advantage of the Dinan kit is it improves handling through an intergrated solution that includes springs and other components. But, again, if appearance is the main issue, RD or H&R springs are the most direct and inexpensive solution.

Unless the car will be tracked extensively, forget coilovers. If I were to consider coilovers, I would go the Moton route, which would disable EDC but provide adjustable shocks. If the car will be tracked extensively, stay tuned to our search for camber plates.

·
Registered
40 Posts
EuroCarFan; your ride is sick. Have you thought about throwing some tints on her? That would just complete the sexiness of that ride!

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
...there's no way to see the gaps...haha oh well
Becuase it's all black and dark on the picture :grinyes: , just kidding. Nice setup. I personally like the front lower than rear (+slope) rather than even out, and it seems like RD is just a bit lower than H&R, right Tony?

IMO, I either go with H&R or RD Sport for the looks, and if u need to perform as well, just get Dinan Stage 2. Currently, coilover and EDC still not getting along yet or co-exist (sound like two bitches in the same house:grinyes: :grinyes: :grinyes: :grinyes: )

·
Registered
7,327 Posts
RDSport springs are $500 so it's relatively close in price to the Dinan springs. Actually, I just noticed Dinan bumped their price by about $100 for the springs and for the Stage 2 system....

Keang, yeah, the RDSport is a bit lower than the H&R. It's 38mm lower in the front and 24mm lower in the rear. You guys are welcomed to calculate inches..haha

If it wasn't for EDC, I probably would get KWs as well. I had KW V2s on my 545 and loved it.

·
Registered
7,327 Posts
EuroCarFan; your ride is sick. Have you thought about throwing some tints on her? That would just complete the sexiness of that ride!
Thanks! :D

It is tinted actually...35%. Sometimes I debate getting darker tint though..hhmmm

·
Registered
202 Posts
If it wasn't for EDC, I probably would get KWs as well. I had KW V2s on my 545 and loved it.

I agree with EuroCarFan, if it wasn't for EDC, I would go with KW's. My buddy has KW V2's also and it rides much better than springs.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I prefer the KW coilovers myself.

We should be able to get you guys the best pricing on KW stuff.

I will double check with my supplier and get back to you guys on it.

-Don

·
Registered
7,327 Posts

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Attention: H&R Setup owner

I have notice for awhile with my H&R spring setup, but today I actually measure on flat surface the gap between tire/fender on the rear. My left rear seems to sit lower than my right rear (at least from a gap between fender & tires) but the car looks balance over all. Can anyone check their H&R setup and confirm this?

Thanks,

1 - 20 of 38 Posts