BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

What are your favourite tyres?

• Total voters
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know this has been discussed a million times, but I don't remember a poll on the tried and tested favourites.

So, considering road tyres, what are your favourites? Please mention why, too.

My favourites are S02s, but they're becoming hard to get hold of. Equally, I like S03s for their reliability in all sorts of different conditions, decent Felgenschutz, and they're not too noisy or too soft-wearing, although I do tend to wear the shoulders out on the front ones. I think that's the nature of the beast with driving fast in a heavy car.

I should've put an "Other" option in really. If you like something else, like Continental Sports, or Nankang YungFuks, just post.

:viking:

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
I like both Michelin Pilot Sport 2 and Continental Sport Contact 2 equally for their price/performance.

I don't get on well with directional tyres - they always seem to be on the car when something bad happens (not tyre-related problem) - i.e. broken suspension and had AVS Sports on, rear tyre blowout at 80mph and had Toyo T1S tyres on. I also find that directional tyres induce more tramlining.

I loved the S-02 Pole Positions on my Corrado but they became hard to find (or expensive) on the M5 and I had tried the S-03 on the Corrado and thought they were terrible!

I want to try those new Dunlop Sport Maxx tyres though - if the price is right!

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Iam running Avon ZZ3's! Seem to be good.. Work very well on the A3, BMW taking some getting used to.

Also what tyre pressures do people run?!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tony, I agree with your pressures, but your PSI calculations seem a bit off.

I make 2.9 and 3.0 bar 42 and 43.5 psi respectively. That's what I run.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Bridgestone RE 050's on the rears, best tyres I've had since my Yokohama 008 and AVS's on my early 13" wheel Capri days, they are the buisness... :M5launch:

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
plisken said:
Bridgestone RE 050's on the rears, best tyres I've had since my Yokohama 008 and AVS's on my early 13" wheel Capri days, they are the buisness... :M5launch:
I drove a 350Z with those on, at the 'Ring for a weekend. They seemed very good.

But, my M5 was wearing them when I bought it, but I don't think they're as good as the S03s.

·
Registered
757 Posts
AndyE said:
I drove a 350Z with those on, at the 'Ring for a weekend. They seemed very good.

But, my M5 was wearing them when I bought it, but I don't think they're as good as the S03s.
From memory, I think I chose those ones are they were a little more expensive than the S03's
ouich

The do seem pretty good though, compared to the Dunlop sp9000's which I wear up front.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I've had Kumho Ecstas, S03s and now F1 GSD3s - the others tramlined like a **** but the F1 not at all - which is nice. Use the pressures indicated on the door pillars 2.7 and 2.9 bar.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
M5e3438 said:
I've had Kumho Ecstas, S03s and now F1 GSD3s - the others tramlined like a **** but the F1 not at all - which is nice. Use the pressures indicated on the door pillars 2.7 and 2.9 bar.
Although I am on my first set of tyres so I have not got a huge amount of experience with tyres on the M5. The Pirelli P Zero's seem to be working very well so far but I will reserve judgement until I have tried a few more brands.

Simon

PS I use the standard pressures for a 18" wheeled Touring which is 2.9 and 3.1bar

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Had Sport Pilots on mine originally and they were really well balanced,
gave plenty of warning & would gentle drift nicely in the wet.

I then had S02's which had higher dry grip but breakaway oversteer was much more snappy in the wet, but overall thumbs up.

IM CURRENTLY ON PIRELLI P-ZERO ROSSO's and they are RUBBISH !

Im really disappointed as everywhere I read they're top dog.

But in my experience they give bugger all feedback in the dry & are forever twitchy & nervous in the wet...big big BIG disappointment.

i feel a swap coming on. .. .

regards,

Alan Archer.

Ps....always run at recommended presures, checked every week, driven hard on the road & 6 track days on S02's & Pilots.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I`m on my second set of Pirelli P-Zeros;

Rosso Asymettrico 245/40/17 on the front and Asymmetrico (silly yellow japanese symbol, not Rossos) 265/40/17 on the rear.

They don`t make the Rosso rear in 265/40/17

I have never tried SO2 and cannot afford the Pilot Sport, but imho I must agree to disagree with Alan, given the slightly different setup I have. Alan does a lot of track work, so will be a better judge than me, but for allround and general use I don`t believe the Pirellis warrant the term "rubbish". If they are, then The SO2 and Pilot Sports must be truely awesome, and Alan had better never, ever fit a set of Avons. LOL ;)

The Pirellis are a magnitude better than Continentals and Avon ZZ1 I have had before (Avons - wouldn`t put them around my boat!). They are good in the wet and very predictable. I can tell when they will break away and have never had any issue with controlling the slide. There is no "twitching", they either grip or break away, never unexpectedly. Your mileage may of course vary.

The dry weather performance is the best I`ve encountered. I get a little understeer (doesn`t everyone on the M5) and the tramlining is worse on the 245 fronts than the 235s were, but the balance of the car at speed is very very good. I cannot in spirited driving get the back out of line or the fronts mess up without deliberately doing so. Offset angle power takeoffs at junctions are controllable at will on the throttle. Spin or traction loss over uneven surfaces is minimal and dead straight line if it happens.

I can no longer break traction in the wet in a straight line in second gear at 4000-5000rpm, which was the party-piece of the Avons and others. I thought it was just the power of the engine, turns out it`s the crapness of those tyres.

While I`ve the flame-suit on, everyone I know hates Eagle F1 and Yokohama AVSs are designed for the Japanese roads and wear out too quickly in the UK.

Ho Hum!

Ivan.

Ivan.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Ivan,

I have come to the conclusion that ive just got a duff set...!

(...a duff set of £850 tyres.....hmm ! )

Time will tell, but I'll have another change when they are done.

I was chatting to some Michelin technicians at Silverstone & they said if you go for Sport Pilots, make sure you get the ones with a star (as in * ) on them as they're specially developed for BMW M series cars.

Regards,

Alan.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Hi Alan

I wonder if this is because yours are Rosso's. Like Ivan I am running on Assimeticos which may explain a little of the different performance.

Only a theory!

brgds

Simon

·
Registered
868 Posts
I've had pilot sport 1 and 2 on the car over the years and the verison two is much much better under heavy braking in the wet.

You are correct Alan re: Michelins. They are developed for larger heavy cars which is why people often get disapointed with other branded tyres on the M5. Normally, car manufacturers build with average sized cars in mind and not our large and lardy sports cars.

On smaller sports cars Pzero's are difficult to beat in the dry, Very progressive tyre and wears well too. Goodyear F1s ain't bad all rounders either.

best

M5 Powered

1 - 19 of 19 Posts