BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I took my '08 M5 into my SA this morning to find out why I received the red transmission warning when I started my car up the other day. Turns out that the SMG Pressure Accumulator needs to be replaced, and luckily this is covered under my USAA (Assurant Solutions) extended warranty. I was also told that the clutch was showing uneven wearing and that I would continue to receive the transmission service messages until it was replaced (which is not covered). I was quoted $3,700 to replace the clutch. There is a clause in the warranty that allows for non-covered parts to be replaced if their failure is cause by the failure of a covered part. Is it plausible that the faulty SMG Pressure Accumulator was not allowing the proper pressure to be applied, which in turn has caused the odd wear on the clutch?

·
Registered
568 Posts
IMO when the SMG ECU detect any fault in the system, especially with hydraulic pressure, it stops the car and won't shift, not even start the engine. So my answer is no.
On a side note $3700 to just replace the clutch looks just crazy. I suppose they quoted the flywheel as well. Unless you see evidence that the flywheel is damaged, don't change it. While they're working on the pressure accumulator, changing just the clutch should bring you in the $1500 range.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts