BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2006 M5 has 70K miles and I'm getting repeated fault messages for transmission, abs, etc. They cycle through and then going away only to repeat later. Maybe every 5-10 miles. No impact on driving. The tilt sensor was replaced under recall years ago. Periodically I hear what sounds like a failing computer hard drive coming from the dash below the radio. All this seems to be a failing on board computer to me.

The idle also surges a bit.

Anyone have similar problems?

·
Registered
352 Posts
The idle issue makes me think you have an issue with voltage drain. Get it measured and see what it is doing as a start. Could be a poor grounding but it's some electic demon not easy to figure out

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tilt sensor

BMW in San Jose, CA says it's the tilt sensor again. $1,088 to repair. While this isn't much money for maintenance on a performance car with the level of complexity of a M5, I feel it's poor service by BMW to make an owner buy a part that is clearly faulty. I don't consider a tilt sensor to be a serviceable part like brake shoes or a clutch - it shouldn't wear out and this will be the second time the tilt sensor has failed. I complained to BMW that they should cover the repair and they tell me it'll take 3-5 days to review. So I'll get the repair done and see if they reimburse. BMW service will be a consideration regarding whether I buy the F10 when available or go back to driving Porsches. Porsche service has been the best for me at the San Jose dealer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts