BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i recently took a diagnostic test on the car and got some errors, does anyone know what these error codes mean?

·
Registered
848 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you for the answer. the car is doing fine and I do not notice anything, just hear the typical vanos rattle, have deleted error codes and should read it again to see what is there :)

·
Registered
9,924 Posts
This is an E39 M5? If yes those are not the definitions that go with those codes. Maybe your app has the wrong car in it or it is just like many apps that don't really work. It appears your app gives you the different definitions for all possible BMWs. How would anyone know which is there proper definition. Especially since they don't list them in an ordered fashion, IE all firt or last or even 5th. Get yourself a code reader for your car.
6a is the brake switch, that said it can also be the top bulb housing sort of melted because someone put in the US bulb instead of the Euro equivalent.
69 is most often a failed T-Stat and the definition is engine temp plausibility, which means the car is warming up differently to a stored table of warmup temps.
8A is not differential lock even though the translation says it is, my memory is not good enough to even guess but it will come to me or I might have something in my comp on it, but a quick search showed nothing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it is for an m5. i had set the app on e39 m model, i made a new diagnosis and then some other error codes came up than the others that were shown. got code: 0000AA and 000028 do you have any suggestions for diagnostic equipment i can have for the car?

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Peake code reader works for some issues (as shown in the Peake code list Ibmoteren referenced).
Software tools like INPA and ISTA/D are more comprehensive.
You can download Mike's Easy BMW tools and get the appropriate OBD cable.

·
Registered
9,924 Posts
Did you just aquire this car? Did you have it inspected? Do have any mechanical skills, or experience?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i got the car in exchange for a bmw x5 i had so don't know so much about the car. got it a week ago so haven't got it inspected,

I fix the car myself as long as I have time for it. and i have been in m cars before but not in e39

Sorry for my bad english😅😅

·
Registered
9,924 Posts
All those codes you have add up to a very poorly maintained car where problems were ignored and there are likely issues that have been created that are hard to fix, short of tearing down the motor. Your last 2 codes in order are AA carbon buildup in the secondary air passages that lead to the exhaust. It can be fixed with some major work or tuned out of the ECU, that last one requires reprogramming of the ECU, which is a skill unto itself. If you can't get inpa to work re-tuning maybe more than you can do.
The second is a post cat O2 sensor heater has failed. Those don't fail that often and usually only fail when they are very old and way past their prime. You may need to replace all 4 sensors because they maybe the original ones and they don't last 20 years. If they are originals I can tell you without a doubt your car has been running rich for a very long time. Combine that with the 69 code which also makes the car run rich and your exhaust valves are likely coated with large deposits of carbon, that also makes the car run rich chronically and it is hard to fix.
Right off the bat before I drove the car I would replace all 4 O2 sensors after I inspected, any wear or color fading on the wire protectors would be good enough reason. That stuff is space age and anything less than dark black and spotless indicates they might be very old. I would also replace the T-Stat and it's seal as the seal can be causing the code by leaking.
I would likely throw 2 new Mafs at it also because they are just bad on these cars but there is a test for them in the FAQ sticky thread.
Once you get that all done you can drive it and starting fixing the other stuff, the carbon on the valves will take a bunch of cleaning processes but in time that will clean.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
thank you very much for the information😊 I have an old PC so I have not used the program. when you mention tuned out of the ecu do you mean tuners like alpha n etc? I looked quickly under the car and then it looked like the protection on one sensor was torn a little off😔 i feel a little stupid but what do you mean by t-stat and its gasket? try and get hold of the old owner but it is not easy maybe that is a reason why😂 just have to apologize for weird questions but are not quite into the s62 engine.

·
Registered
9,924 Posts
T-stat is the thermostat and by seal I mean read the threads on replacing, it is far too complicated to ask me to explain it all again since I have typed it out many many times in the past. You need to start reading the FAQ and DIY sticky threads so you don't have to ask questions that have been answered hundreds of times. Once you have a basic understanding then you can ask better more detailed questions, but all the basics are already posted on this board.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts