BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
10,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just for the heck of it today, i plugged in my peak reader and checked for fault codes. To my surprise, i got table 18, E8, 63, and 62 (could be b2, since the book doesn't list a 62). I have not had any SES lights lately, and the car is running fine. I'm assuming this means some faults have been recorded, but have not happened often enough to trip the SES light. The codes translate to (paraphrased) 'evap purge valve' ' some type of system self test' and 'cyl 1-4 cat efficiency'.
any thoughts?
Mike

·
Registered
797 Posts
mottati said:
I'm assuming this means some faults have been recorded, but have not happened often enough to trip the SES light. Mike
Mike. That's exactly what it means. I think you get an SES light for these types of codes if the condition occurs several times during a certain period of time. On the other hand (engine misfire for example) will throw an SES light immediately - that is, with one instance of the code condition.

Jeff cherrsagai

·
Registered
444 Posts
Mike:

Jeff has it right. Some sporadic fault codes come and go without notice, and others - judged to be more serious from the viewpoint of increasing emissions - light the SES light the first time the fault is detected. The cat efficiency code ("b2") is common on cars with the SS x-pipe, and sometimes will cause an SES light. I have not yet learned whether on OBDII car will fail an emissions test with fault codes recorded but no SES light.

Regards, Dick Roberts

·
10,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RRoberts said:
Mike:

Jeff has it right. Some sporadic fault codes come and go without notice, and others - judged to be more serious from the viewpoint of increasing emissions - light the SES light the first time the fault is detected. The cat efficiency code ("b2") is common on cars with the SS x-pipe, and sometimes will cause an SES light. I have not yet learned whether on OBDII car will fail an emissions test with fault codes recorded but no SES light.

Regards, Dick Roberts
Thanks Dick,
I do occasionally check for codes, just for the heck of it, and this is the first time i've actually had any, without a ses light. Will these codes eventually clear themselves, after 'x' number of ignition cycles without the fault? (the x pipe has been there for over a year, that one surprised me).
Mike

·
Registered
797 Posts
mottati said:
Thanks Dick,
I do occasionally check for codes, just for the heck of it, and this is the first time i've actually had any, without a ses light. Will these codes eventually clear themselves, after 'x' number of ignition cycles without the fault? (the x pipe has been there for over a year, that one surprised me).
Mike
Mike, I think they stay there until they're cleared. I used to get annoyance cat efficiency faults all the time. BMW/Dinan finally replaced the left cat and the problem has not reappeared.

It's probably worth checking out potential causes for the codes and eliminating them before you clear them.

Jeff :cheers:

·
10,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
x703jko said:
Mike, I think they stay there until they're cleared. I used to get annoyance cat efficiency faults all the time. BMW/Dinan finally replaced the left cat and the problem has not reappeared.

It's probably worth checking out potential causes for the codes and eliminating them before you clear them.

Jeff :cheers:
I left them, just trying to figure out how to bring this up to the dealer? If my cat is on the way out, i'd like that done before I get my headers installed! I'll look thru my past service invoices, i've had one cat replaced already, if this code is from the other side, i may go talk with the dealer.
Thanks for the info again,
Mike

·
Registered
797 Posts
mottati said:
I left them, just trying to figure out how to bring this up to the dealer? If my cat is on the way out, i'd like that done before I get my headers installed! I'll look thru my past service invoices, i've had one cat replaced already, if this code is from the other side, i may go talk with the dealer.
Thanks for the info again,
Mike
Mike. I was up front with my dealer. I just told them that the codes were there. They didn't give me a hard time, although I had to wait until i had gotten the cat code three times before they agreed to replace the cat.

I'm sure that not all dealers are as cool as the one I go to, but if you have a good relationship with your SA and techs, then I'm sure they won't give you grief with reading the codes. They should also be willing to scope the problem and, as a last resort, replace the cat.

Actually, in my case, Dinan replaced the cat as per their warranty.

Interstingly enough, I just got a Peake 69 code (no SES light) this morning (Cooling system plausibility code - the coolant temperature does not agree with what the theromstat setting (or something like that).

Anyway, I've had it once before and they told me to ignore it but if it returns they'll consider a thermostat replacement. I'll be taking it in over the next few weeks. By the way, the cooling system appears to be working normally as per instrument cluster temp gauge.

Jeff cherrsagai

·
10,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
x703jko said:
Mike. I was up front with my dealer. I just told them that the codes were there. They didn't give me a hard time, although I had to wait until i had gotten the cat code three times before they agreed to replace the cat
Jeff cherrsagai
I have a pretty good relationship with my dealer's service department as well. I'm going the supersprint header route, as soon as they're back from being ceramic coated, so i think all bets will be off as far as cat warranty goes once those are installed. I'll talk to them tomorrow.

Also, i went thru my old repair orders, the dealer replaced the cat for "bank 2" which i'd assume is cyl 5-8. The code that i have is for cyl 1-4, so it's an original cat. Anyone know what a cat costs? That's another thing to check, if i can't get it warrantied yet, it may be worth having a new one put in at the time of the header install, so save a bit of future labor.
thanks,
Mike

·
10,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update: my SA called, they read fault codes for both cats, the older one is also rattling. They've ordered a new pair of cats, not sure if it's covered under cpo or emissions warranty, but it's covered... It's woth checking for codes, even without ses lights!
Mike :byee55amg

·
Registered
797 Posts
mottati said:
...the older one is also rattling...
Mike. Glad to hear that you got this solved. Interestingly, when they replaced my cat the old one rattled the same way.

Jeff cherrsagai

1 - 10 of 10 Posts