BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me what the &(&* does this code mean? Listed as 63 "Control unit self-test, Safety Concept master check" I know there is a thread to combine codes but it is 27 pages of threads!! I fixed my e- fan control box a couple days ago thanks to help here, especially since I did not know my 2001 M5 even had a fan just for the ECU.

Using code reader and book from Bavarian Autosport. Thanks!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well others have posted 63 as well but nobody has explained it. Book say as I listed "Control unit self-test, Safety Concept master check" to me sounds like a master cylinder check. People have posted it on this site but never got an answer. I will have to recheck code to make sure it is not b3 as I cleared it so I have to wait for its return. Others have said go to dealer to get it explained in other posts!! Does anyone here know what a "Control unit self-test, Safety Concept master check" code means? If it is b3 " catalyst system efficiency bank 2" is that a catalytic converter failure?

Ard, how do u like your 996TT compared to E39 M5? I've been looking in that direction but love my M5 a lot and afraid I will regret not driving it.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Well others have posted 63 as well but nobody has explained it. Book say as I listed "Control unit self-test, Safety Concept master check" to me sounds like a master cylinder check. People have posted it on this site but never got an answer. I will have to recheck code to make sure it is not b3 as I cleared it so I have to wait for its return. Others have said go to dealer to get it explained in other posts!! Does anyone here know what a "Control unit self-test, Safety Concept master check" code means? If it is b3 " catalyst system efficiency bank 2" is that a catalytic converter failure?

Ard, how do u like your 996TT compared to E39 M5? I've been looking in that direction but love my M5 a lot and afraid I will regret not driving it.
Did you look at the link I posted? Pictures of the codes, Apples had what he thought was a 63 but was b3.

Did you know that there is no wire from the Cat that sends a signal when the Cat goes bad?

You get a 'bad cat' code when the signals from the pre and post cat O2 sensors start to show too much 'similarity'- due to aging sensors or overly rich conditions swamping the conversion capacity of the cat. Or from a bad cat.

There are MANY posts on diagnosing these codes (b2 & b3)

As to the 996TT- two wholely different cars. The M5 is my daily driver- handling, torque, power, poise...in contrast the TT is a visceral beast with no manners. Even stock the TT makes you go "Whoa"... add 120 hp to that. :)

A

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the link. I did review it thanks. I just have to recheck the code when it returns. Maybe some new cats are on the way....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts