BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just wondering what the fastest anyone has gone in their M5's. September of 99, I was in germany to watch the European GP and the guy we stayed with had a dark blue (i dont know the color name) M5 with exclusive black leather. Anyway, I think I enjoyed the trips to the Nurbugring, which took about two hours on the Autobahn, than the actual race. I got some awesome pics of the first corner crash there. But anyway, we hit max of 270 kph and for about 20 minutes we did not go below 200 kph. The best was when we had to slow down for a car in front of us, this gave a Volvo turbo wagon a chance to get close, he flashed us his lights, so our responce was a downshift and Auf Weidersen!! We left him so bad.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Never been more than 200 km/h, about 2-3 times. Wimp, eh?

Once was uphill in 4th gear with 2 passengers in the car...

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
When we did Euro Delivery we got the car up to 145-150mph briefly only once, traffic was well and truly sucky this summer. We'd spent more time ~200kph back in '98.

Now with the car back here, I find myself hitting [censored] mph just about every time I merge onto CA92 West from here, today I topped [censored] three or four times, with a peak of [censored++] on 101 (given the miserable Bay Area traffic these days, it was amazing that I got half a mile of relative clear space.)

Time to retire to some place with fewer people, I guess.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
much more then me, my top was maybe around 120, possibly 125, but it was like the power keeps on coming, there's no stopping it. wish i could go faster, but in nj, even these speed are nuts, and you must becareful.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Did 155MPH once on the way to Vancouver on I-5.....strange I did not hit the limiter...can anyone verify this?

Never had the chance to try it again...

PS: for the cops MPH=meter per hour ...

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have had an indicated 170mph, more than once, but have not had time to check more realistic value on trip computer. I have not hit limiter yet.

On previous M roadster, limiter would come in about 162mph with the speedo reading about 166-167.

I suspect M5 was doing about 165mph allowing for some speedo error.

You can feel car pushing down at about 130+.

·
Registered
238 Posts
There is a little strech of I-684 )NY highway) - about 1.2 mi, which belongs to Connecticut, no exits and it's newly paved. I assume (bad thing to do though) that NY cop doesn't have authority on.
That is my track all the time, when I take that route. Not always trafficless though...

When I glanced to a speedometer - it was more than 140, but less than 150.
Will look next time.

It's still not an autobahn...

Vas,

07/00 M5 Silverstone/Sport

·
Registered
135 Posts
Did 160mph in Houston area with 4 people in the car at lunchtime. It was still pulling hard, but I was coming up to traffic. Also, took them around some curves at 120 or so. The car was flawless.

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,096 Posts
Have had my car to 310 km/h (on the speedo) several times, that is 194.5 mph.

Before I removed the VMAX limiter (Kellener did it, the speed limiter would hit you at 170 mph on the speedo.

Unfortunately, neither road nor traffic conditions allow this kind of speed very often.

/Johan

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I also drove my dads 99 540 up to about 150 MPH on a stretch of road that connects I-95 south with I-595 west. I have not seen any cops there ever and if they were, would be clearly visible because there is no where they can hide there.

·
Registered
112 Posts
120mph a week after I got the first speeding ticket in my life. Car was still very stable at that speed.

Took my dad's E32(?) 7 up to redline in 4th at about 140 a few times though.

·
Registered
765 Posts
120-125 max

------------------
SL

·
Registered
136 Posts
155mph with my M3 on german autobahn...
it's too dangerous to hit more then 95mph on swiss roads.

Dany

'01 M5 - lemans blue (Body Shop Started - Status 151)
'97 M3 - cosmos black

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I've done about 135 MPH in my 1997 M3... I was trying to see what happens when I hit the limiter. However, the plastic air dam piece under the front bumper was torn off by the wind and I had to slow down.

Since then I've never trusted that the stuff would stay on at that speed.

------------------
Phil

01 M5 SilverStone due 12/00

·
Registered
136 Posts
Originally posted by Zoli 007:
Dany, what do you mean by body shop started next to your M5 description?
Zoli 007,
i've only ordered my '01 M5. My dealer informs me when the status of the car changes (that in the moment is 151, but i think this info is old)... i should get it in about 14days (is so hard to wait!!) and yes, i will post pictures, when i've got it.

Dany

'01 M5 - lemans blue (Body Shop Started - Status 151)
'97 M3 - cosmos black

1 - 20 of 46 Posts