BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering how it is difficult to properly launch the M5 to reach the standard accelerations times !
I'm not exactly measuring the time i do, but it seems very hard to go under 6 seconds on a start from 0 to 100 kph (7000 rpm at 2nd).
Moreover it seems that the 2nd do not reach exactly real 100 kph, bu sth like real 96-98 kph !
I've tried some 0-200 kph and done some times over 19 secs. 0-160 kph were around 13.5 sec.

Is it possible that all M5 do not perform as the testing cars the magazine have, or what are the good techniques to perform good starts ? For the change of gear betw 1st and 2th, could one really improve the time of more than 0.1-0.2 sec with a good change ?

·
Registered
106 Posts
DSC off, sport mode on, clutch in, rev to about 2000, feed clutch out (don't drop) to avoid lotsa wheelspin, rev almost to redline, clutch in and drop into second (don't ride the clutch), rev to redline, and drop into third. I can usually get under 5sec 0-60mph doing this.

Sometimes I'll go right from 1st to 3rd, for a quarter mile. I don't know if this is faster (depends on how fast you can shift, I guess).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts