BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

81 - 95 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
You'll probably see the most noticeable improvement from the VANOS adjustment speed alterations. It really alters the responsiveness of the midrange. Also, the SMG changes bring the transmission to what I feel we should have gotten from the factory for around town driving.

Hi Jim, a quick question regarding the VANOS adjustment speed alterations and responsiveness: one of my gripes with the S85 over the S65 is the lack of linearity compared to its smaller cousin. Is this something that your VANOS tuning is able to address or is it an issue innate to the S85's volumetric efficiency?

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
For anyone trying to reach me and having difficulty, I'm getting a lot of this lately:
Status: 5.0.0 Remote-MTA: dns; smtp.secureserver.net Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 550 5.1.1 173.205.126.126 is not allowed to send from <fastattackmotorsports.com> per its SPF Record. Please inspect your SPF settings, and try again. IB508 <http://x.co/srbounce></pre>

This all started when I moved the website over to Bigcommerce and redirected the DNS servers to there. Still working out how to get past it, but probably 1/3 of my email replies never leave and I only get this reject notice on about half of those.

·
1,974 Posts
For anyone trying to reach me and having difficulty, I'm getting a lot of this lately:

This all started when I moved the website over to Bigcommerce and redirected the DNS servers to there. Still working out how to get past it, but probably 1/3 of my email replies never leave and I only get this reject notice on about half of those.
Means your outgoing mail server is not part of your SPF records. The receiving email servers check to see if you're trying to send email from a non-authorized address (which you are). I see your txt record is:

fastattackmotorsports.com text =
"v=spf1 +a +mx include:_spf.bigcommerce.com -all"

The correct solution is to add the outgoing email server to your spf record (and remove all others).

A bandaid solultion is just to delete the txt SPF record. I'm not too sure how effective spf kills spam anyway.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Some new features are in the works. Some may not be new to the S85 world, but new to us. On the other hand, some may just be new altogether. ;)

- Modified Rev limiter in both cold and hot oil conditions. As we know there are some "concerns" about the S85 rod bearings potentially related to oil temperatures. While I personally don't feel that cold oil alone is responsible for the wear patterns we've seen, there's no question that colder oil will not flow as easily and it's unhealthy to wind the engine up high without proper flow. These rev limiting modifications are meant to be more restrictive in colder oil to keep the owner honest and even more so, to protect the engine when someone unaware of the S85's sensitivity may be driving. Additionally, hot oil can be a concern as well and while the detrimental effects may be via different mechanism than cold oil, the idea here is to limit the RPM of the engine and therefore the heat generation into the oil until the cooling system can catch up; or in the event of a cooling system casualty to protect the engine.

- SMG Shift characteristics remapping. Certainly not the first to play in this arena, but I was unwilling to offer anything here until I had tested it and fully understood all the variables, formulas, limiters, and maps associated with this. This took quite a bit of work digging around not only in the mss65's maps and functional documents, but in the SMG3 module data files looking at the variables and tables as well. There are a staggering number of things which can be modified here for improved performance when the goals are different than that of an OEM such as torque reserves, slip limits, as well as the shift speed and torque matching parameters. This will be an ongoing development with the end goal of two different "characters", one being significantly more aggressive than the other.

- VANOS adjustment speed improvement. One of the more odd limitations imposed by the DME is the rate at which it is allowed to change VANOS timing. This is still under development and dyno testing ongoing. Initially, this is showing improved mid-range responsiveness, but more testing will be conducted to quantify the results.

- Alphan-N is one I get asked about the most and while I'm happy to tune an existing Alpha-N car, I haven't offered it as an option for cars without the modifications necessary yet. This is changing soon as our 3D printing capability comes online so we can finally manufacture what has truly been missing here: Plug and Play Alpha-N sensors. To me, a product isn't quite finished and ready for the end consumer if it requires cutting and modifying the car's wiring harness. BMW and Tyco electronics have an exclusive agreement for many of the electrical connectors used on these cars and they are not able to be sourced anywhere but BMW and in some cases at all. MAF plugs match this description, so our answer is to 3D print a pin housing that will allow an IAT sensor to plug straight into the MAF connector on the engine wire harness.

As always, any further developments will be offered to existing customers free of charge. This is not a static product and there are very few companies out the continuing development on this platform. My focus is not chasing numbers on dynos or Vbox, but there have been some great results reported. To me, this is about further enhancing the capability and feel of the car, to the maximum extent allowed with the stock DME by determining what constraints exist and careful analysis of why they exist before pushing them. Thanks for your support and positive feedback, that's the part that makes this all fun for me.
Must have on my e60 M5

·
Registered
188 Posts
Does anyone know Jim personally or have a way to get ahold of him other than his FAMS contact info? I have a rod bearing/bolts, oil pump chain tensioner, and oil pan gasket and parts kit I ordered back in early/mid December and I'm really needing it now. I've got my house for sale and if I go to close on it, I'll likely need to be out within a week... and my car is sitting on the lift half apart in my garage. The only response I've gotten from Jim was a little over 3 weeks ago.. He responded to a pm I had sent, saying that my order should ship the following week. Other than that and my initial email he replied to a day after my purchase, I haven't heard anything.

I'd appreciate it if anyone could reach out to him on my behalf.

81 - 95 of 95 Posts