BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

601 - 617 of 617 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
I have an the ECU at FAMS for forced induction tuning... basically ESS told me their tune was perfect and they will not help or facilitate any tuning (even though they are right here in Phoenix), so here I am. Can't wait to get her back up and running, will report back, and if it works out, I have another M5 and that will be an SMG car.
Whats the issue with ess tune?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Whats the issue with ess tune?
I can't really say anything bad... Biggest issue is I can't mess with it and they don't provide options, and from there it's all minor but it's not as smooth in certain areas that it can be... had a different tune in the past when it was NA, which had some other good points. Seems to me like a fairly decent tune created on the dyno for 100% throttle, that's a very small percentage of the where the car is driven. I have been tuning ECU's for motorcycles with a low inertia EC dyno for many years so I'm the kind of person who wants to have some adjustability, although I'm not a tuner for this sort of thing..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks Jim. I received and loaded my FAMS tune and everything went smoothly. I took it out for a test drive and it drove well, cold start eliminated, revs to 8500. I didn't test the speed yet but I'm sure that's been taken care of. I can't really say that I actually feel a difference in performance as +20-30 hp on 507 hp isn't a significant difference but it does run well and im pleased with the tune.

One thing I noticed is that when I rev the motor with the clutch in (6 speed manual) it revs to 7000 rpm. Can that be adjusted? Maybe to 4000 rpm? It'll help with launch. Just a thought.

Thanks again Jim!
Morris

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
Morris,

What you're asking I understand and now that I think about it...it's kind of genius. 6MT launch control, not sure why that wasn't so apparent before. Let me ponder that a bit.

-Jim

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks Jim. I received and loaded my FAMS tune and everything went smoothly. I took it out for a test drive and it drove well, cold start eliminated, revs to 8500. I didn't test the speed yet but I'm sure that's been taken care of. I can't really say that I actually feel a difference in performance as +20-30 hp on 507 hp isn't a significant difference but it does run well and im pleased with the tune.

One thing I noticed is that when I rev the motor with the clutch in (6 speed manual) it revs to 7000 rpm. Can that be adjusted? Maybe to 4000 rpm? It'll help with launch. Just a thought.

Thanks again Jim!
Morris
Are you stock? I'll be going catless when putting in Jim's tune when I get back stateside after my vacation. Curious to see how much power I'd gain.

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
175 Posts
Are there any specials for the holidays? ;)

·
Registered
117 Posts
I can't really say that I actually feel a difference in performance as +20-30 hp on 507 hp isn't a significant difference but it does run well and im pleased with the tune.
I find that surprising - my car has an aftermarket exhaust from the primary cats back, and I noticed as big a change in performance in switching exhausts as I did in Jim's tune (exhaust first, then exhaust + tune). Most significant difference in Jim's tune is the immediacy of torque above 3000rpm, which was not there with the stock tune. Top end is much better also, but not as noticeable.
Perhaps an SMG vs 6sp nuance?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I find that surprising - my car has an aftermarket exhaust from the primary cats back, and I noticed as big a change in performance in switching exhausts as I did in Jim's tune (exhaust first, then exhaust + tune). Most significant difference in Jim's tune is the immediacy of torque above 3000rpm, which was not there with the stock tune. Top end is much better also, but not as noticeable.
Perhaps an SMG vs 6sp nuance?
You felt a 4% increase in power?

·
Registered
11 Posts
In all honesty, the reason I got the tune was to eliminate the cold start sequence, raise the redline so I can stretch 1st gear, and eliminate the speed limiter. The actual tune was more of a side benefit that I fully welcome. Like I said, I'm fully satisfied with Jim's work and would recommend it to anyone. Can't beat the value as it's one if the cheapest times out there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Btw, you might have seen these gauge faces advertised on IG. I reached out to the guy and he's able to make it in 8,500 redline. He's also going to provide a decal for the rotating dial so that it lines up at 8500.

·
Registered
117 Posts
You felt a 4% increase in power?
Putting it that way is very one dimensional. Can I say for certain I feel a difference in power at the very top? It is hard say, as the increased redline certainly changes my perception of speed at the top end.
Does the car feel faster to drive? Yes, all day yes. As I pointed out above, the responsiveness of the motor at lower RPMs is now awesome. Is the car actually faster? Yes. Whereas before my friend's FBO e92 m3 would have the edge on me, now he struggles to keep up.

That all being said, I really want to reiterate that it is the change in the overall feel of the motor that has me sold on Jim's tune.

601 - 617 of 617 Posts