BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Company Representative for Evolve Automotive
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
StatusQuo - As requested from another thread:

Our ECU Tune:

Note: These results are in our opinion slightly too high due to the car being on the dyno for quite some time which results in a little less drag through the transmission but it gives you a very good idea of how the power changes.

Evolve Headers:

Clearly torque and power have increased through the entire rpm range with more of a bias towards the higher rpm's.

This graph is taken from Russ's (Devilhunter) car.

The difference is very much noticeable on the road.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Impressive Sal! My car needs your magic soon, is there a waiting list?

·
3,068 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Thanks for posting this up,but there are no torque figures and is it correct in this instance that the header's,cats,ect only have 2bhp more than the power tune alone?

I appreciate that they are different cars.

·
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry... need to get some more graphs for you on the power tuning alone.

I will release another set soon which show a more realistic gain. I would say around an average of 8-15hp from tuning is safely possible. Nothing like what headers do though!
The difference with the headers is also much bigger under normal driving also (part load).

Different cars done on different days - cannot compare really.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
In USA there seems to be one!

Over here.... a steady stream of S62's!

Soon, we will have had more different S62's on our dyno than any other in the UK! You need to make us a trophy!
Who me? I'll donate you a calendar for the office, hows that sound?:haha2:

·
Registered
304 Posts
Sorry... need to get some more graphs for you on the power tuning alone.

I will release another set soon which show a more realistic gain. I would say around an average of 8-15hp from tuning is safely possible. Nothing like what headers do though!
The difference with the headers is also much bigger under normal driving also (part load).

Different cars done on different days - cannot compare really.
Fair enough,but the numbers here clear to see;a stock car with V1.3 tune produces 341.4 BHP and another car with headers,cats and powertune produces 343.8 BHP

What am I missing?

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Sounds very good!
Even better, if there is also one donated to the finnish office:7:
Well I'll consider it..... Yeah, why not? You've given me plenty of advice in the past Raikku

Reactions: vantaam5

·
Registered
304 Posts
I missed the bit where you wrote the "the cars been on the dyno too long so the figures are too high". It's all a bit vauge if you dont mind me saying especially at this level.

I know some cars are stonger than others but your equipment and enviroment should really be more accurate and consistent than this.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I missed the bit where you wrote the "the cars been on the dyno too long so the figures are too high". It's all a bit vauge if you dont mind me saying especially at this level.

I know some cars are stonger than others but your equipment and enviroment should really be more accurate and consistent than this.
Methinks you need to read up on the wonders of Dyno's
Not sure where the combative attitude is coming from either. Evolve seem to be very conservative with their claims and always keen to err on the low side. That is only to be commended in an industry where wildly exagerated claims are all too common.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Let's talk about the power gains compared on the car with remap and the one with headers.

The remap only car had a baseline of 327.4 RWHP stock,after the remap 341.4HP,so a gain of 14 RWHP...

The car with headers and race cats had a baseline of 318.9 RWHP and after the mods 343.8,so a gain of 24.9 RWHP...

It is not important that these cars have overall very close RWHP compared to each other after different modifictions,but the INDIVIDUAL gains per car are the point.

And regarding equipment and enviroment,how would you influence in the real world air temp and barometric pressure for example?????

But I rather let Sal chime in,as he knows this stuff way better than me and can explain it better...

·
Registered
1,782 Posts

Maybe its just me, but it seems that you are disecting every post made by evolve.

Different cars make different amounts of power. Not all S62's dyno the exact same amount of power, there are many variables; mileage on motor, and its current running condition. Perhaps cam timing was out on the header dyno who knows.

A dyno will not compensate for a worn motor, I dont understand how that would even make sense, if you follow your post, then whats the point because then every car would make the same amount of power, the dyno would be compensating for a worn out motor, low compression, incorrect cam timing, improper A/F ratio etc.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Let's talk about the power gains compared on the car with remap and the one with headers.

The remap only car had a baseline of 327.4 RWHP stock,after the remap 341.4HP,so a gain of 14 RWHP...

The car with headers and race cats had a baseline of 318.9 RWHP and after the mods 343.8,so a gain of 24.9 RWHP...
Thank you for this clarification. To be fair to StatusQuo - I was asking myself some of the same questions he had on hp gain on "just tune" v. "tune and headers/cats" until I saw Vantaam's response.

Ps - cai availability status?

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
The tune-only gain seems a bit high. 14 whp? This also makes the full exhaust and tune look weak. 24.9 whp minus the 14 whp from the tune, means headers and race cats added only a 15 whp bonus. I know those headers can do a whole lot more than that. At least I thought so..

·
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
The car with the headers does not have the power tune on it yet!

I was asked to give graphs showing tuning and header gains separate.

Dyno software can compensate for (within a relatively narrow band of values) for barometric pressure, air temp and humidity. It does not know how thin the oil is in the drive train or anything to do with the tyres.

Within a few tests drivetrain temps will remain within a range where wheel horsepower wont be affected too much but run the car again and again and it will have a small effect.

All I am saying is that I believe the first graph is showing a gain which is ever so slightly high........... By about say 2-3 peak hp. I was better off not saying anything at all. How many companies give notes on their own graphs? What all of people don't know (other than those who have worked with us) is that I am a massive skeptic!

Very often where people have done their own dyno testing their resulta show bigger gains than we advertise.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Ok thanks Sal. So you expect additional HP to the headers car once you add the power tune.

Have any customers received the power tune yet? Where are you getting the extra HP from in the software?

·
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok thanks Sal. So you expect additional HP to the headers car once you add the power tune.

Have any customers received the power tune yet? Where are you getting the extra HP from in the software?
Lots of people have had the power tune.

Extra HP comes from fine tuning some of the torque calculations, changing the RF limits, VANOS, Ignition.... etc etc.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Lots of people have had the power tune.

Extra HP comes from fine tuning some of the torque calculations, changing the RF limits, VANOS, Ignition.... etc etc.
Wait is it the same tune I have now??

1 - 20 of 26 Posts