BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it normal, and what is it....

When I turn the ignition key to light up the dash, a fan starts in the dashboard around about the steering column... It's not the heater fan as that works fine...

Any ideas what it is... Im intrigued... I think i can feel a slight passage of air onto the fron screen, but it's so slight, I couldn't really say for definate..

·
Registered
757 Posts
Ratty said:
Is it normal, and what is it....

When I turn the ignition key to light up the dash, a fan starts in the dashboard around about the steering column... It's not the heater fan as that works fine...

Any ideas what it is... Im intrigued... I think i can feel a slight passage of air onto the fron screen, but it's so slight, I couldn't really say for definate..
I may be wrong, but it would appear to be a fan to cool the management system which is located under the bonnet, just in front of the instrument cluster. Mine does the same, as soon as I switch the ignition on to stage two.

When I looked at the parts around this area:

here

You can see parts 10 which is a fan and 12 which is a temp' sensor, I would assume that the fan should only operate when a certain temp' is reached, though mine does come on when the ignition is switched on.

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Pliskin, better service than BMW themselves ....

Complicated arn't they haha... Just got to puzzle out my possible immobiliser problem now.... back to the 730i for a bit ... maybe i wont sell it for a while haha..

:cheers:

·
Registered
757 Posts
Ratty said:
Thanks Pliskin, better service than BMW themselves ....

Complicated arn't they haha... Just got to puzzle out my possible immobiliser problem now.... back to the 730i for a bit ... maybe i wont sell it for a while haha..

:cheers:
I'd say very complicated, and you will find better information here than from BMW, in my expierence anyway!

Regarding your imobiliser issue, if it was the OBC CODE function, it would "bong" and the word CODE would be displayed, when you turned on the ignition.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again, It didn't Bong and didn't say code... but It has made me question why the clock wasn't set in the first place... maybe the battery's been off recently.... maybe to reset an immobiliser problem... mmmmm
I'll ring the guy tomorrow and probably dis the battery for 15mins before resetting it all again..

Then again.. it might be a real fault.....I shall investigate....

Cheers ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts