BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, in the bitter cold weather here a few weeks ago in northeast OH I had an interesting new issue start with my 01' 540. Once warmed up, there is a noise coming from the engine bay that sounds like the fan clutch is sticking above 1,500-2,000 RPM. It sounds like a fan is spinning at engine speed. It will slow down if you stay at higher RPMs for more than a few seconds but it's almost like something isn't adjusting as quickly as it should to quick spikes in engine RPM. I initially thought it was the fan clutch as it is an older one, so I replaced that and the issue still persists. To double check I removed the fan clutch assembly all together (keeping a close eye on coolant temp) and I still have the sound.

I haven't gotten the chance to have a friend rev the engine while I stand under the hood yet, but before I do so does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
805 Posts
Without any video or audio of the noise it's tough to diagnose what it might be. You might have better luck on Bimmerforums or Bimmerfest as there are more 540i owners there.

Is the noise RPM dependent - meaning - does it increase steadily with RPM, or is it constant as RPMs go up? Could be a loud AUX fan. Need more info.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts