BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
No that's an incorrect statement, oversimplifying the reality. Most if not all DCAN cables have the old firmware in the cable that results in bad data being written in certain bits. IF you have a preLCI, it is a K line car anyways so it doesn't matter, for LCI cars or any that run on DCAN, the Bimmergeeks cable is one of the few that have this firmware defect resolved before they ship it out.

The firmware in the DCAN cable can usually be reflashed yourself, if you like to tinker with stuff and have an arduino. The one stop electronics cable for example can be updated with no soldering. I've done it myself and for some others on my old one stop electronics cable. For most people, it's generally better to just buy the Bimmergeeks cable.
Thank you for the explanation. I have the Bimmer geeks cable from when I had my 135i so I’m good. You scared me Flacoramos!

·
Registered
273 Posts
That is strange. I contacted them on IG. I guess I didn’t ask for S85, I asked e60 M5. But he’s clearly a BMW guy and I can’t imagine him not knowing it has an S85.
Yeah he can do it. Talk to him on IG.

·
Registered
273 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
He closed his shop so what did you expect?

Don't get me wrong I'm in the same boat. Support was great at the beginning. I love the smg updates, the rest... meh. Doubt other tunes are any better anyway. This is a NA engine that was already tuned to/close to max power to begin with. Unless you have mods that need a tune (catless, etc.) I'd spend my $ elsewhere.
I agree. If you want a car with 600/700/800 horsepower or a can you can incrementally modify for more power the e60 is not it. If you are happy with 500hp it’s a great car.

As you said it’s an NA engine where all the usual places to gain power have been pretty well optimized. It is after all a 100hp/litre NA production motor. ITB’s? Already done. Variable cam timing? Done. Efficient tubular headers? Done. Increase the rev limit? It’s alresdy 8,250...

None of the intake options really gain any power. The ‘power pulleys’ just reduce a little parasitic power loss from ancillaries at the cost of under driving them at low rpm. IAT relocation kit just tries to trick the engine into advancing timing a little (I’m not sure it actually works). The tunes will give you a little more timing and a more aggressive AFR but it’s not going to transform the car.

None of the popular mods appeal to me. Cams might get you a little power but they are always a trade off. Remove some mid range to gain top end, and they’re expensive to buy and expensive to install. Catless headers might gain a little power too, also expensive to buy and a ball ache to install. And if you did cams and headers then a custom tune to take advantage of them would give some gains and even more again if you upgraded the fuel system and ran e85. But that’s serious time and money for not much extra sauce.
An off the shelf (with admittedly some tweaking based on data logs) tune is never going to provide a massive gain. It’s best feature is probably the speed limit delete and (from reports) the smg improvement.

If I wanted more power from an S85 I’d jump straight to a supercharger kit. It’s still terrible value but at least gives a decent gain.

The other side is it’s hard enough and expensive enough to keep these engines in peak running order when they’re standard.

I have happily modified lots of my cars, my RX7, numerous GTR’s, my B58 m140 but I’ve never been tempted to try and squeeze more power out of the e60. I totally get modifying it for sound (I have an H&S exhaust on mine) but it’s already a fast car as is and probably the most mod unfriendly car I’ve ever come across.

Rant over.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I agree. If you want a car with 600/700/800 horsepower or a can you can incrementally modify for more power the e60 is not it. If you are happy with 500hp it’s a great car.

As you said it’s an NA engine where all the usual places to gain power have been pretty well optimized. It is after all a 100hp/litre NA production motor. ITB’s? Already done. Variable cam timing? Done. Efficient tubular headers? Done. Increase the rev limit? It’s alresdy 8,250...

None of the intake options really gain any power. The ‘power pulleys’ just reduce a little parasitic power loss from ancillaries at the cost of under driving them at low rpm. IAT relocation kit just tries to trick the engine into advancing timing a little (I’m not sure it actually works). The tunes will give you a little more timing and a more aggressive AFR but it’s not going to transform the car.

None of the popular mods appeal to me. Cams might get you a little power but they are always a trade off. Remove some mid range to gain top end, and they’re expensive to buy and expensive to install. Catless headers might gain a little power too, also expensive to buy and a ball ache to install. And if you did cams and headers then a custom tune to take advantage of them would give some gains and even more again if you upgraded the fuel system and ran e85. But that’s serious time and money for not much extra sauce.
An off the shelf (with admittedly some tweaking based on data logs) tune is never going to provide a massive gain. It’s best feature is probably the speed limit delete and (from reports) the smg improvement.

If I wanted more power from an S85 I’d jump straight to a supercharger kit. It’s still terrible value but at least gives a decent gain.

The other side is it’s hard enough and expensive enough to keep these engines in peak running order when they’re standard.

I have happily modified lots of my cars, my RX7, numerous GTR’s, my B58 m140 but I’ve never been tempted to try and squeeze more power out of the e60. I totally get modifying it for sound (I have an H&S exhaust on mine) but it’s already a fast car as is and probably the most mod unfriendly car I’ve ever come across.

Rant over.
Seems like you're spoiled by factory boosted cars which provide too-easy power gains. Some people enjoy optimizing platforms beyond the simple “add boost” formula. These cars gain just fine w a full proper exhaust.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Seems like you're spoiled by factory boosted cars which provide too-easy power gains. Some people enjoy optimizing platforms beyond the simple “add boost” formula. These cars gain just fine w a full proper exhaust.
You are probably right. I ‘grew up’ with 90s and 2000’s era Japanese turbo cars and they gained power easily. Partly because of the Japanese gentleman’s ageeement that limited cars to 280hp. Cars like the 32 GTR or jza80 Supra could gain 100hp with some very basic mods. It’s like they built those cars as 350-450hp cars then choked them down to 280hp with tiny exhausts and super rich tunes.

I guess I just appreciate a ‘special’ car like the e60 where there’s already some serious high performance engineering going on. So just like I wouldn’t mod a Lamborghini Diablo or aventador for more power I feel the same about the e60.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts