BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2006 M5
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I don't think so, as far as I know the last person to successfully get the tune was in Aug. The tune is awesome...if you can get it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
The website won't let you add it to your cart anymore, hopefully that doesn't mean no more tunes as I want the FAMS tune!

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
What a joke
I remember his speach about future upgrades
Never got anything updated or improved

·
2,504 Posts
What a joke
I remember his speach about future upgrades
Never got anything updated or improved
He closed his shop so what did you expect?

Don't get me wrong I'm in the same boat. Support was great at the beginning. I love the smg updates, the rest... meh. Doubt other tunes are any better anyway. This is a NA engine that was already tuned to/close to max power to begin with. Unless you have mods that need a tune (catless, etc.) I'd spend my $ elsewhere.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Why don’t you guys try HTE performance? Look him up on FB. Many many people are very happy with his work in the e46 m3 platform and other platforms.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Why don’t you guys try HTE performance? Look him up on FB. Many many people are very happy with his work in the e46 m3 platform and other platforms.
I’ll reach out. You know for sure they support the S85?
I need the cat less tune.. Again, I’m thinking of just going with VR, but I like having options.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I contacted HTE Performance. Similar tune as everyone else but his is $550. Just need the Bimmer geeks cable and a windows laptop. He’ll remote in and install. Then you have the files and can revert as needed.

·
Registered
491 Posts
They are all the same tune.

There isnt any tuning involved really unless they have you log then send log, then recalibrate, and repeat half a dozen times.

It is just flashing a new pre-existing calibration they have access to in the database they subscribe to.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I tried contacting him to return a car I bought to stock and he hasn't replied. Going back to Evolve as I've always gotten good support from them.

·
2,504 Posts
They are all the same tune.

There isnt any tuning involved really unless they have you log then send log, then recalibrate, and repeat half a dozen times.

It is just flashing a new pre-existing calibration they have access to in the database they subscribe to.
I've read that before. So why isn't everybody advertising the smg improvements? While I'm sure such service exists Jim either developed it further or just has different origins.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've read that before. So why isn't everybody advertising the smg improvements? While I'm sure such service exists Jim either developed it further or just has different origins.
Mine's supposed to have the SMG tune but honestly can't tell any difference, it's just as derpy as every other SMG car I've driven.

Given that he no longer supports it I want to get the vehicle back to stock. I don't know how to do that though without the programmer. How does his product go back to stock?

·
2,504 Posts
Well that's easy just flash back to stock using winkfp and a bimmergeeks cable. That's assuming you cannot use Jim's cable for whatever reason.

I'd say the smg changes were obvious. Yours may be an older version before he implemented smg updates.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well that's easy just flash back to stock using winkfp and a bimmergeeks cable. That's assuming you cannot use Jim's cable for whatever reason.

I'd say the smg changes were obvious. Yours may be an older version before he implemented smg updates.
I've got WinKFP and my K+DCAN cable I use with ISTA. Which flash should I be doing? Just update the MSS65 like I was going to a later DME revision?

·
2,504 Posts
The zusb numbers have been posted before. Do a search. And no, a generic kdcan cable will brick the dme. You've been warned.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The zusb numbers have been posted before. Do a search. And no, a generic kdcan cable will brick the dme. You've been warned.
Even if I've successfully done it with that cable on my same year 530i? The cable originally came from Evolve if it matters.

For some context I updated both of my E60 530i's with files I got off bimmergeeks, I just want to ensure there isn't something special about the MSS65.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
No that's an incorrect statement, oversimplifying the reality. Most if not all DCAN cables have the old firmware in the cable that results in bad data being written in certain bits. IF you have a preLCI, it is a K line car anyways so it doesn't matter, for LCI cars or any that run on DCAN, the Bimmergeeks cable is one of the few that have this firmware defect resolved before they ship it out.

The firmware in the DCAN cable can usually be reflashed yourself, if you like to tinker with stuff and have an arduino. The one stop electronics cable for example can be updated with no soldering. I've done it myself and for some others on my old one stop electronics cable. For most people, it's generally better to just buy the Bimmergeeks cable.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts