BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for help on the following problem.

The transmission occasionally falls out of 3rd gear. The gear is fully engaged, and then under certain conditions, it falls out. The gear lever sits somewhere between 3rd and neutral, and if you try to push it back to 3rd without engaging the clutch, it grinds.

This happened when the transmission is warm, when it's cold, and usually when already engaged and then coasting. I haven't been able to replicate on demand the condition, but it happens.

Sometimes you notice, sometimes you don't. When you don't notice and apply throttle, the revs climb and then you realise it's out of gear.

I'd say it happens once a week during regular driving.

My car is a MY 2000 so I don't have warranty anymore. Anyone's expertise or advice on what is going on would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
12,865 Posts
jackiem5 said:

The transmission occasionally falls out of 3rd gear. The gear is fully engaged, and then under certain conditions, it falls out. The gear lever sits somewhere between 3rd and neutral, and if you try to push it back to 3rd without engaging the clutch, it grinds.

This happened when the transmission is warm, when it's cold, and usually when already engaged and then coasting. I haven't been able to replicate on demand the condition, but it happens.

Sometimes you notice, sometimes you don't. When you don't notice and apply throttle, the revs climb and then you realise it's out of gear.

My car is a MY 2000 so I don't have warranty anymore. Anyone's expertise or advice on what is going on would be greatly appreciated.
I am sure some our more knowledgable gurus will check in. If this happens when you let off the gas, I would check the motor mounts. It may be part of another problem, but should be easy to check.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
jackiem5 said:

Are you saying....when you try to engage a gear (after it pops out), the transmission grinds unless the clutch is depressed (disengaged)? No kidding! Don't do that, unless you're an employee for Getrag in their destructive testing Dept.:D

If your transmission keeps popping out of third gear after you have it securely engaged, then you may have an external linkage or internal detent problem. A fellow named dhoang lost his detent in the same fashion around 50K mi, after running Mobil 1 for a while. Getrag did sell some detent ball and rebuild kits for around $40, but recent checks indicate the parts were discontinued in the last year or so. I think they prefer to sell $4K rebuilt tranny's.

Have you checked your fluid level? What transmission fluid have you been using? How many miles?

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
A worn 3rd gear synchro could also be the culprit. It's not a good thing, as the only way to have work done on the Getrag box you have is send it to them, and they send you a rebuilt one, and as Lscman pointed out that is a $4k deal. Noone as of late rebuilds them, as they cant get parts. Gotta love Getrag on this one...
Lscman said:
No kidding! Don't do that, unless you're an employee for Getrag in their destructive testing Dept
hiha hiha Reminds me of when my sister learned how to drive stick. She would tug the clutch out as she was getting it into gear, and either it would grind and spit it back to neutral, or grind and go into gear. I dont think I have ever said "grind it till you find it" so many times on a simple ride to the supermarket. Good thing VW boxes are cheap to replace.
:cheers:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
none of this sounds promising indeed.

I have the gear fully engaged, and am engaging in no abnormal clutch, shifting or driving practices.

is there anything else I can do to make sure I have the proper diagnois before I go into a mad state of panic?

How can I check if a worn 3rd gear synchro is indeed the issue?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Uh...unfortunately this is not a good thing. Sounds like a synchro issue. I have never heard of ANY instance where a gear deselecting itself is an easily fixable thing with a synchro tranny. All cases required overhauling.

Do you have an extended warranty? First step is to remove the tranny and disassemble to find the culprit. I assure you it is not a linkage issue.

It will continue to spiral downward and get worse. Sorry.

-Jeff

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Usually a worn 3rd gear synchro will manifest in very notchy engagement, crunching, or it wont accept the gear from time to time. Uncommanded releases such as what you are experiancing are also signs.
Lscman might be on the right track with the internal detent issue, as I have heard of that happening on the 226 box a few times on this board. I would take it to a shop and have them look at it, as there might be something we missed. Hate to be the bearer of bad news.
BTW, have you run aftermarket fluid in the tranny? Sometimes that can cause issues. There was a huge thread about it not too long ago.

·
Registered
590 Posts
jackiem5 said:

Your problem might be in this area of the shift mechanism.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=DE93&mospid=47592&btnr=23_0887&hg=23&fg=15

I believe the ball and spring combinations help keep the transmission from poping out of gear. I'm sure there is a shift hub that keeps the gear locked in on the interior of the trans but as mentioned you can't buy parts for your Getrag.

Hope this helps
Joe

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
this is going from sad to worse....

I guess the first thing is have a shop look at it, but apart from disassembling the transmission, what can they see from the outside?

There is no noticeable 'notchiness' in third (or for any other gear for that matter), and as mentioned, this is only an occasional occurance.

I have not used aftermarket transimission fluid either.

Yikes.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
A shop will be able to look at the external linkage and see if that is the culprit. If that isnt where the problem is, the next sentance is usually "transmission time." Really sorry to give you bad news like this, as usually there is a bit more enjoyment when people join up on this board. Welcome BTW, and best wishes getting this resolved.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hey no worries, the board has given me plenty of useful information. I hope this potentially worrysome story can still turn out okay.

Any other suggestions, or anyone else experience the same thing? This can't be the only transmission that has the same fault.

BTW, the car has 90K miles.

·
10,455 Posts
my 98 528 did this, except 2nd gear. It was pretty violent, usually occuring under hard acceleration and Bang, engine revs. I had a cpo warranty and the trans was replaced on my first complaint. THis was not an uncommon issue with that particular 5 speed (ZF, i think).
Mike

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Do you think the problem is going to be exacerbated by hard driving, or track time?

I say that becasue currently it's definitely bearable (since it happens only occasionally) but I don't want to make it worse.

I was thinking about tracking it for fun, but now I'm not so sure.

·
Registered
947 Posts
This is weird. My 01 with 35K miles on it, just started doing this 2 days ago! Today as I was heading home, doing 40, it popped right out. I was decelerating when it happened. And to make matters worse, just a few miles from home the dreaded SES light comes on. Man, talk about a bad day. I also noticed the car was sounding different this morning. I just attributed it to me being neurotic but maybe it was a sign of things to come. So, off to the dealer it goes.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Got the car back Monday evening and the dealer replaced the exhaust cam sensor, car is back to normal. For the falling out of gear issue, SA originally indicated that they could not replicate. BUT, today I get a call out of the blue from my SA indicating that he had heard back from BMW NA about their inquiry and they are going to replace the entire transmission under warranty. Evidently BMW NA has heard of this issue before according to my SA. Dealer said he had just received the transmission today and for me to bring it in this week.

I am very IMPRESSED with my dealer on this one for the follow up.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Osodog said:
Got the car back Monday evening and the dealer replaced the exhaust cam sensor, car is back to normal. For the falling out of gear issue, SA originally indicated that they could not replicate. BUT, today I get a call out of the blue from my SA indicating that he had heard back from BMW NA about their inquiry and they are going to replace the entire transmission under warranty. Evidently BMW NA has heard of this issue before according to my SA. Dealer said he had just received the transmission today and for me to bring it in this week.

I am very IMPRESSED with my dealer on this one for the follow up.
**** - that is sweet congrats on that!!!! Dodged a major bullet!!

Good luck!!

-Jeff

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
wow, that is awesome dealer service. Doesn't help me as my car is out of warranty and a MY 2000.

I wonder what the problem is, and if it is fixable? Could you try to find out what the issues could be and maybe I can get some insight from it?

You are very lucky....I on the other hand, may not be.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts