BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just sharing my experience with the last two tire brands I had the pleasure of dealing with. Since my M5 has become my DD as of last summer, I had to transition from strictly summer tires to all-seasons.

I've come from the original Michelin PS's (which I HATE), to Falken UHP summer tires. Starting out with all four Falken ST-115 I thought they were superb. They were extremely quiet and relatively sticky. First gear clutch dumps created so much wheel hop I know I looked like a complete idiot from people looking at me. I did start to develop an issue with just 5,345 miles on them. The car started to vibrate violently when I hit 65-70 mph. So much so that the passenger seat wobbled like I was about to eject. The dealer had my car for 4 days trying to figure it out (from driveshafts to guibos, to bushings) and they finally nailed it down to the tires that they mounted using a Hunter. They became out of round after only 5000 miles. Thanks to the E39 M5 guy who loaned them his Dinan wheels to mount on my car while they troubleshooted.

So, I complained to Discount Tire Direct and they gave me no hassle. Once I described the problem the rep said something like "Oh those Falkens…". He said the ST-115s were superceded by the FK-452 model and they were the factory replacement for the ST-115. I took the free tires and got them remounted and all was well from that point on. Continued quietness and adequate grip for my general purpose use. I eventually got 22,374 miles out of the rear FK-452s and 27,719 out of the front mounted ST-115s.

If I ever get the chance to run summer tires again I will consider the FK-452. For now, I'm stuck with all-seasons.

The all-seasons I chose were the highly reviewed Continental Extreme Contact DWS (dry|wet|snow). 3,270 miles on them so far and not as much as a hint of wear on them yet. With a tread rating of 540 I hope to be able to use them effectively for two winters. Or at least until the "S" wears out on the tread.

So far they are holding up nicely. Dry I have to say is very, very good. In the wet they are what they should be. They give you confidence on the highway when you're changing lanes and cruising at 80. I'm running Continental's recommended tire pressures: 39 psi front, 46 psi rear. No problems to note of. I've had my doubts about Continental before as a high performance tire, but this particular model does everything so well. Why buy any other all-season? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ These tires are like buying a Mac.

I only covered the dry and wet portions. I really bought these tires to perform satisfactory in light snow. The reviews make it seem like these are dedicated winter tires sometimes. I'll be happy when the snow hits the ground and I can get out of my parking space. My expectations in the snow should be met so I expect no problems there.

Thanks for reading. Here's some pics of them mounted on my car.

·
Registered
74 Posts
German tires on a German car. Done.
Thanks for your detailed review. The DWSs will be my next tires.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
thanks for the review, I want to still be able to drive my car in the winter (not in the snow as I have my Jeep for that) and this tire sounds like it would be a good one to look at.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm running Continental's recommended tire pressures: 39 psi front, 46 psi rear. No problems to note of. I've had my doubts about Continental before as a high performance tire, but this particular model does everything so well.
Are these pressures recommended specifically for the e39 M5, or are these pressures recommended for any car using the DWS in those sizes?

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well you input the year, make and model on their website and it spits those two tire pressures out.

Reactions: DHoang

·
Registered
8,722 Posts
Just bought a set of these yesterday, 285/35/18 all the way around. Just got desperate to drive my car in the winter, once it gets put back together, that is! Reviews make them sound ideal. Can't wait to have the opportunity to test them out!

--Peter

·
Registered
257 Posts
Are these pressures recommended specifically for the e39 M5, or are these pressures recommended for any car using the DWS in those sizes?
The quoted pressures appear to be Continental's maximum recommended pressures as opposed to Continental's "recommended" pressures. They are far too high- you must be able to tell that the car is riding on the middle of the tire and reducing the contact patch, surely? I cannot stand the feeling.

Recommended pressures are 35psi front and 38psi rear. I do not get why anybody would run them any higher. 46psi at the rear is just stupid.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So we had our first real snow day last week with about 3 inches. The DWS tires held up really well. I'd say very adequate for this amount of precip.

Under 30 mph I was driving as normal while doing slaloms on an open road. The tires just kept biting in each turn with minimal plow. So far, I'm glad I bought these. I actually think I'm hooked on Continentals Extreme Contacts. We (CCA members) did a tour last week with some spirited runs on back roads and these tires were incredibly grippy! I would likely get the DW version just for another set of wheels in the summer.

·
Registered
110 Posts
mister2d, how did you fair with slight inclines? I bought a set of Michelin A/S with the intent of driving it this winter but, I wasn't happy with the performance with this last snow fall. Do you have any weight over the rear tires?

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
mister2d, how did you fair with slight inclines? I bought a set of Michelin A/S with the intent of driving it this winter but, I wasn't happy with the performance with this last snow fall. Do you have any weight over the rear tires?
I had a slight incline coming from work going to an onramp. No problems there at the speed I was going. As far as weight, I do have a custom box with a subwoofer in the trunk. I don't know if it's a factor or not.

If we get more inches next week I'll report back.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Definitely a great All Season. Currently running them on my car, I think you guys will be impressed with the longevity of these bad boys. They wear absolutely perfect on BMW's!

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Another update.

We had a blizzard yesterday and it was horrific! Low visibility, lightning!, traffic jams around the whole city. All for only 6 inches of snow. It took me 7 hours just to get home! ...and then I had to shovel my parking pad so I could climb onto it.

So, I got stuck three times on inclines as the snow quickly turned into ice blocks with the wintry mix. Adding to the stuck list were police vans, snow plows, and buses.

However, once it stopped precipitating the surface of the snow seemed to soften up. Guess what? I began to regain good traction in this mess. Ok...well I cheated a little bit. I let a good amount of air out of the tires. Worked very well for me. Very well. Although, I wish I had studded tires for last night's event. Winter tires would not have helped me at all when I got stuck.

This is the best all season I've ever had. It's exceeding my expectations even though I was stuck a few times last night.

This might not look like much but everyone in this pic is stuck. Snow plow and police.

This bus getting stuck ruined it for everybody.

This is me. I moved over to the side of the road to get out the way.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just giving one last update. These DWS tires have held up very well in all the seasons. I have put 18,500 miles on them and I think the wear has been excellent. On the rears the S has worn off, so they only lasted me one season of snow. On the front tires all three letters are present with good tread depth. Seems I'll just have to buy one set of rear tires before the winter and I'll be set.

Front tread wear:

Rear tread wear:

·
Registered
419 Posts
When the S wears out they are no longer good for the snow?

·
Registered
419 Posts
That. Is. Awesome.

I looked at this tire previously for my zhp but went with dedicated summers and winters instead. These look like good replacements for my current offseasons though

for those who were wondering:

Continental ExtremeContact DWS

·
Registered
273 Posts
I got DWS's two years ago, I've loved them, and 33K later (!!) I'm ready to replace the rears. I'd love to just get the 275/35/18 DWS and be done, but they are WAAY backordered. And this tire has a bad history of being backordered and limited availability (too popular). Meanwhile, the price has gone up substantially as well, with the best internet price I've found at $221/tire, and Tire Rack/Discount want about $260 - IF anyone had it.

So I'm looking at A/S alternatives. Michelin Pilot Sport A/S are the #2 rated A/S and the pricing isn't any worse, although if I get something other than the Conti Rears, I'm thinking of replacing all the tires, and the front sizing (245/40/18) is pretty pricy for the Michelins.

Another tire that has my interest is the new General G-max AS-03. General is owned by Continental and I've heard they are coming up in the world, but still a lower priced alternative to the premium brands. This tire is priced very well in my sizes, but it has a directional tread which I'm unsure I'd want.

So what are people who buy A/S tires doing for their M5s this fall?

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I got DWS's two years ago, I've loved them, and 33K later (!!) I'm ready to replace the rears. I'd love to just get the 275/35/18 DWS and be done, but they are WAAY backordered. And this tire has a bad history of being backordered and limited availability (too popular). Meanwhile, the price has gone up substantially as well, with the best internet price I've found at $221/tire, and Tire Rack/Discount want about $260 - IF anyone had it.
I didn't even notice the back log of these until you said something. I found out I can't get them ANYWHERE. Kinda bummed about that. I'll need rears sometime in the fall. They are quite popular though. I notice them on just about every sports car in the area I work, of course after I got mine. :D

When I bought mine last year Continental was giving away a free TomTom GPS device that had speed camera database built-in. I couldn't pass that up for a stellar tire that comes WITH a manufacturer's Road Hazard warranty for the first year. No wonder they can't stock them.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Yay! Conti DWS are back in stock. I just ordered a set for my rears(275/35/18) from Discount for $561 installed. I almost went with another tire, but I'm more than happy to be putting these tires back on my car.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts