BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Front 2 PS2's were close to smoked and got a nice ROD through one of my good rears. So 3 new tires, decided to order RT-615's. Decided that with the new BBK and more and more track time I needed a more serious track worthy tire. I have 18x9.5's at all 4 corners so 275's all around. After I get them on and do a weekend with them on the track I'll let everyone know how it goes.

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
I might also order these for the Mcoupe...from what i heard they're pretty good tires but not in wet roads...

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank god im in AZ so little rain. I can take the Porsche on rainy days.. :eek:oohhh:

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Nice choice of tire. Where did you end up purchasing from?

·
Registered
145 Posts
I used to have those tires on my Supra - badass tires, but I'm not so sure about the tread life, especially on a heavy car such as the M

·
Registered
19 Posts
How did you fit the stock rears up front on an M5? Did you use spacers? Any photos of this setup?
Front 2 PS2's were close to smoked and got a nice ROD through one of my good rears. So 3 new tires, decided to order RT-615's. Decided that with the new BBK and more and more track time I needed a more serious track worthy tire. I have 18x9.5's at all 4 corners so 275's all around. After I get them on and do a weekend with them on the track I'll let everyone know how it goes.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im running 5mm spacers up front and 3mm in the rear. I also have a BBK.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just ordered at set of these as well having them put on the car to run VIR March 1-2. Also had PS2's that I am replacing. I am still running the stock rims however with the stock stagger. I kind of rolled the dice on these because the PS2's were not availble in the 275/35 size from Tire Rack or Discount Tire. Loved the PS2's but pricey.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I had these tires on my S4 and thought they were OK. They are not very expensive for a very good performing tire, which is good. I needed tires a few weeks ago and it was between the RT-615's and the Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1's. I ended up with the Z1's.

I noticed the RT-615's go south after a few sessions on the track. Wasn't too bad for me, I wasn't really hard on them on the track. But I have heard of other people complaining a lot about them on the track.

Enjoy them!

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
New shoes are on the whip - taking it to the track tomorrow. I'll report back how they feel and how they do. I'm going to run them about 38lbs cold to start and see how they feel. So far on the street they feel good and grippy. One plus right off the bat is no more tram lining with 275's all around.

·
Registered
233 Posts
How did the Falkens perform? I' looking at new tires and noticed the 615s are decently priced. A good friend of mine has them on his EVO but curious if the M5 is too heavy for this tire.

·
Registered
162 Posts
They are some great tires,extremely sticky,however i bet they will not last long at all on this car,way too soft of a compound for such a heavy car.I have used them a few times before on a couple other imports i used to have and they wore very fast even with frequent rotation.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Back from the track:

These tires are STICKY! They by far and away outperformed the PS2's on the track. It is warm in AZ today - low 80's and the track was nice and toasty. I started out with a cold pressure of about 38lbs and at the end of my first session they were at 45 lbs. I backed them off to 42 lbs hot and kept them there. They worked very well. The track that I was on was Firebird West. It is a small and technical track, built for bikes and better suited to small cars. I was filing the mirrors of the Evo's, STI's, Sky's, Miata's, etc on the track for all 3 of my sessions. I am very very pleased.

Specifically, they felt very planted overall with a fair amount of warning before they gave. They didn't howl a lot close to the limit but when they did come loose it was gradual and predictable. They peeled back very nicely and evenly. I ran 3 hard sessions on them and didn't even roll them up onto the sidewalls - no scrub whatsoever. I would say that they will probably not last a long time taking them to the track, they are soft to be sure.

:applause:

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Pic of the my car on track

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
TI,

how do you feel they handled the weight? I know that the Falken's and their hankook brotheren are a bit challanged when it comes to vehicles with higher curb weights.

Im not sure on the sizing but you may want to check out the new for 08 Dunlop Direzza Z1. They are supposedly the BEST on the market for tires that will do both street and track.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Im not sure on the sizing but you may want to check out the new for 08 Dunlop Direzza Z1. They are supposedly the BEST on the market for tires that will do both street and track.
They are great so far! :thumbsup::M5launch:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts