BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have M5(Royal Red, Carmel all leather) due in late June in Charlotte, N.C..

Was in San Francisco BMW last week just to browse and look at cars and motorcyles. They had a 540i 6 speed with an M5 kit. Their price was $72,995 ( $5995 for the kit and $5000 additional markup), can you believe any one would pay this for a fake. It obviously didn't have the interior or Navigation system, exhaust or rear panel. Also really irritates me that BMW is eating their own children by supporting these fakes.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
i almost did the same. luckily i got my m5 within a week of calling (yes, im the man. some guy cancelled his order on my baby: jet black with black/silverstone/aluminum trim.)

down with fake m5's!

--Dan

·
Moderator Emeritus
5,150 Posts
Why would ANYONE want to pay that much for a 540 that looks like an M5? with a little bit more, you can buy a real M5...

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
We have a fake silver 540 running around here in Massachusetts with M5 bumpers front and rear and M5 wheels. Why anyone would go to this extreme is beyond me, the 540 looks great just the way it is.

-Chris

·
Registered
92 Posts
Here in NYC and the Bronx u say many guys who slap a M5 badge on the back of a 5 series and think that gives them a M car. I also know a guy who put a 540 badge on his 528 after he changed the rims!!!!!!!

·
Registered
61 Posts
another fake M5 was spotted at Habberstead BMW in NY. It was black, had the badging, spoiler, front and rear fascias, chromed bbs wheels. I think it was a 528 to be honest, and it was an automatic.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi fellow M5s
Not a M5 but i passed a fake 4door M3 with a single small pipe,he just had this M3 badge and nothing else so it looked real stupid.
The weather is at least sunny so its sunglasses on right now and these small disturbances is to be taken lightly dont you agree!!
Rgds

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
It's inevitable - and an enormous p*ss-off - that body kit manufacturers will soon be releasing complete M5 knock-off kits such as they produced to "emulate" the M3 on E36 3-series'.

BTW there's a kid in town with a 540...you know who you are...just quit before you wind up looking like a total poser. For starters, tear off those M3 side mirrors...idiot.

-Alps

·
Registered
87 Posts
Is that a silver 540i Auto with M3 mirrors??? I have seen it alot in Richmond.....

Heh, See tons of 318is with M3 badge. There is another guy with '92 Mercedes 300SE and badge it as a 500SEL....LOL

Why would any one do that is beyond me. I alwasy want to badge my 400SE as a 300SE 2.8..

Andy Kuo

------------------
ICQ# 26950002
Mercedes S-Class Page
http://akry.homestead.com

·
Registered
592 Posts
I saw a "faked" M5 in Boca Raton two days ago. He had the front bumper, trunk lid fin and different rims. It looked pretty stupid with an ///M5 badge stuck underneath the 540 one. I guess they all want to be like us!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Driving a "fake M5" is like buying a fake Rolex watch and telling eyeryone it's the genuine article. A fake M5 is probably worse than a fake Rolex, because at least with the latter it's usually a good counterfit. Bogus M5's are usually very obvious: 3 tail pipes missing, rectangular mirrors, etc.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
I actually had to think hard about the Badge Deletion option. There's a guy in town with an unmarked Carbon Black and I like it...only those who know, know. Nice and discrete. Plus...it precludes the posers from stealing your badges in the first place!

Yet I wouldn't want to be accused of driving a fake, plus I figure a badged car will resell with a higher degree of comfort. Most importantly, I've been lusting after M5's since I was a teenager...might as well show it for what it is...

-Alps

·
Registered
21 Posts
....why get excited about someone putting an M5 badge on a 540?....these are the same guys who put fake cell phone antennas on their Camaro's 10 years ago...afterall, most of the people who recognize an M5 in the first place are people who know BMW's...by trying to fool us, these guys are really saying "kick me, I'm stupid" as they really think they are kidding someone who cares...the next time you see a fake...take a look in the back seat, you will probably find a leisure suit too......

·
Registered
13 Posts
On the contrary, I removed the M5 badge from the trunk and had the side marks removed as well. I like the discretion and figure all you BMW-experts will recognize the real thing anyway..

·
Registered
158 Posts
so how exactly does one go about de-badging the beast?

i wouldn't mind yanking the rear and front-sides.

shawn

·
Registered
102 Posts
I ordered my car with the badge delete option. My dealer told me to get the rear tag, and they would remove it and give it to me in case I wanted it in the future for re-sale (like I will ever sell my beast). It turns out that the rear tag is just glued on with a glue that gets soft if you use a normal heat gun (or blow dryer). Took all of 10 mins, and the badge was off. The paint and finish under the badge are done first, so it looks perfect. And, I have the badge, if I ever want to put it back on. I wouldn't recommend to wait years to do this, but if you want the rear marking off, it is very easy (and your dealer should do it free of charge and give you the tags). If you change your mind, it probably will take the same 10 mins to put it back on. Personally, I like the stealth factor -- I don't need to advertise the value of my car for the theifs, but those in the know do know what I am driving.

·
Moderator Emeritus
5,150 Posts
shadowline side strips? you mean the ones you see when you open the door or the ones on the exterior of the car?

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Agreed with Ken. I will ask my dealer to heat the rear badge off. And re-install it if I EVER decide to sell the car. Or maybe I'll just wait for the inevitable to happen...the first goof to steal it once and for all.

Alps

1 - 20 of 36 Posts