BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
someone offered to buy my m5 ,they sent a cheque including the shipping fee, i was to pay the money to the shipping company by bank transfer ,but they would get there money and i would be thousands in debt ,because the cheque was fake , it takes the bank 10 days to find out the cheque is fake the its too late
watch out
tony

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
WATCH OUT grrrrrrr grrrrrrr
this is a praxis experienced for quite a while and they are VERY GENEROUS
(to make you go for it) by issuing the check for an amount that covers
for the 'asking price and shipping' with a wide margin -
-
FRAUD, no less grrrrrrr good to be remembered and aware, THKS Tony !
(I take it that you have informed the police ?)

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
M5touring reg said:
WATCH OUT grrrrrrr grrrrrrr
this is a praxis experienced for quite a while and they are VERY GENEROUS
(to make you go for it) by issuing the check for an amount that covers
for the 'asking price and shipping' with a wide margin -
-
FRAUD, no less grrrrrrr good to be remembered and aware, THKS Tony !
(I take it that you have informed the police ?)
I think the practice here is to check any cheque or method of payment and not to release the car until you are happy, i.e. have the money.

In the UK we have bankers drafts (or building society cheques) written by the bank itself after the payer has tranfered the money to them. Even these need to be verifyed as there are fake versions of these going around. The only other methods are direct bank transfer and cash but the latter is very risky as there could be fake or counterfeit notes in the batch.

Only thing to do is to take as many precautions as possible and NEVER release the car until your are happy.

Rather for the transaction is slowed an you get the money than you det no money and no car.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts