1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Given that is has a CPO, I'd say about $50K, maybe a bit more if it is the exact car you want in terms of options, etc. In Dec 2004, when I was buying, this car would have sold for about $55K.

Good luck!

·
Registered
977 Posts
As a reference, I just paid $47,000 for my 02 LMB/LMB with 100% options, 42,800 miles, BMW CPO, and extended maintenace up to 4yr/50k miles.

My car had some blemishes, including chromed rims, one which one is pitted badly, and a large 8" Scratch that was touched up fairly well. Otherwise, car is in great shape (needs some warranty work however).

People told me that price was slightly high, but it was the car I wanted (sans the chrome rims), so I paid the premium. The average wholesale on a car similar to mine was 44k, that doesn't account for CPO or extended maintenance however.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I had my eye on this car recently and ended up buying another one here in the Bay Area. In case you haven't called already, they're asking 58K, but would entertain around 55K. That is a bit high, but this car only has 20K miles and is mint, so tough call. These guys are very nice and know their stuff.

I ended up with an '02 Carbon Black w/38,000 miles for 47K. In fact, I picked it up just an hour ago!

Good luck with your search!

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Friend of mine bought a Sterling 03 with less than 20k miles on.. all optioned out ancl CPO, K40 front and rear for $56k... Now this is here in the NEast so I cannot say what happens out there on the West Coast, but $55 seems high for a 2002 car... just my opinion ..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Knox

Did you look at the car closely? What is the condition? I tried calling them but Dave was out and Matt was helping a customer. Thanks

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi tws andrew - unfortunately, I did not, but a friend of mine did. He said it was perfect in every way -- not a scratch on it, always garaged by a very anal retentive Silicon Valley type who's getting himself an M6.

I was going to go look at it, but I decided to buy this other car. Good luck.

tws_andrew said:
Knox

Did you look at the car closely? What is the condition? I tried calling them but Dave was out and Matt was helping a customer. Thanks

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
I paid 57k for an 03 with 16k miles in Oct... I added a cpo for 1800.

Current pricing on an 03 seems to be 54 ish, for an 02 48-59ish. cpo adds some.

Keep in mind that the SF bay area is one of the most expensive places to live and buy things in the USA. And Palo Alto is the most expensive community in the bay area. The air is expensive.

They will find someone making 150k a year and unable to purchase a home due to property prices with the disposable income to buy this car.

Drop member PCUT a PM- he's in your area and may have a lead or two.

A

PS I'll be in Palo Alto Monday and Tuesday- if you want me to buzz by and take a look. Shoot me a PM if it will be serious.

PPS. THere were two owners I would guess, otherwise how did a non-BMW dealer get a cpo? Along those lines, don't limit yourself to only looking at BMW sales to get the cpo- it is 'possible' to have a private party sale cpo'd! Takes finesse, effort and luck, but doable.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I just bought my VERY loaded 01 with 59k for 43500. But in doing my research that should be a 52k car. And just so you know that is a VERY common (along with Silver) color combo. Another will come along if they wish to sit on it and hatch an egg.

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
knox said:
I had my eye on this car recently and ended up buying another one here in the Bay Area. In case you haven't called already, they're asking 58K, but would entertain around 55K. That is a bit high, but this car only has 20K miles and is mint, so tough call. These guys are very nice and know their stuff.

I ended up with an '02 Carbon Black w/38,000 miles for 47K. In fact, I picked it up just an hour ago!

Good luck with your search!
Congrats on the new ride:cheers:

·
Registered
193 Posts
I've had some experience with Stanford European -- I suspect that the price they want will be at the very top of retail. They are used to making impulse sales to dot com millionaires. The car is likely a consignment sale on behalf of the owner, with Stanford European adding $7-10 grand to the price the owner is willing to take, so you might try looking up the owner based on the VIN and contacting the owner directly. Or else make a fair offer and insist that they convey it to the actual owner. As selling agent, Stanford European is obligated to convey all offers, though they may try to discourage you by saying the offer is too low. Most consignment sellers are looking for slightly above the amount the stealer offered them in trade, so check trade-in values and add a few grand and make an offer.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
So I checked this out at lunch.

Seems in excellent shape. There are mutiple rock chips on the front, most have been touched up, but as with any touch up easily detected. Paint is very clean- freshly detailed. Only a few swirls here and there (edge of a door, lip of a fender flare). Car has tint all around (not sure what type) seems pretty dark.

Car has fold down seats (squeaks?) and rear sun shades. NO PDC, NO M-Audio. (isn't that around 1500 in option costs?) Interior very clean- no defects noted. Mich PS1 tires. No unusual wear.

The cpo was obtain by the current owner when he bought the car in AZ. THEREFORE there is no cpo inspection currenly- Car was inside, so no joy riding for ard.

Dave claimed he was at 53,900. I mentioned that was 4k high.... what did I care?

A

PS They also have a 2001 out front- water spotted to death....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts