BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Sorry, it's late and I've been working all weekend so if this has been covered before please humour me.

My 2001 M5 has factory tints. I don't like them very much. Simple question, then. Is it a film and therefore readily removable or something more permanent?

Thanks.

YG

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
No such thing as factory tint. It was most likely installed at the dealership before being picked up (if not by a previous owner along the life of the car).

Removing it should be no different than any other thing.

EDIT: Aaand there is such a thing as factory tint. Damned Euro cars getting all the cool stuff...

·
Registered
647 Posts
No such thing as factory tint. It was most likely installed at the dealership before being picked up (if not by a previous owner along the life of the car).

Removing it should be no different than any other thing.
Looks like the OP has a ECE (European-spec) car. While it was never an option for the US-spec car, the ECE cars can be optioned with factory tint, aka "Individual sunshade glazing (S761A)", which can be found here: Glazing BMW 5' E39, M5 (S62). Similar to our X3, X5, and X6 with the rear windows tinted from the factory.

To answer OP's question, if you do indeed have the S761A option, you can't remove the tint as it's permanent.

·
Registered
232 Posts
MikeyMike is correct. If you have the privacy glass option, then you need to change the windows, I'm afraid.

/M

Reactions: yellowgixxer

·
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks folks.

Anyone in the UK want to swap their clear glazing for privacy glass?

YG

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
I had assumed it was 'built-in' to the glass itself, I was hoping so anyway as it should be more scratch-resistant.

I would probably prefer shades as opposed to factory tint, but the cost to get rid of one and get the other would probably be ridiculous, so won't bother.

Wish I had double-glazing though, how do you tell if you have that, as I don't even know if I have...or not....

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Cheers Mailman, I assumed it was as simple, but wondered what the definitive answer was. Many thanks :)

Damn, could've found that post too...d'oh.

·
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update:

I'll be getting it swapped out at the weekend with another board member who wants tints. Total cost just under £200 from a proper glazing company who will come to my house and do it on the spot. Which is a result :)

I will try to get some pictures before it happens though. I just need to get home while it's still daylight...

YG

Reactions: 100%Cocoa

·
Registered
232 Posts
I've got privacy glass, too, so this should give a good idea of what they are like.

Depending on the sun, they can look completely black

Then at a different angle/light you can see through

/M

·
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Scott, it's front and rear sides plus the rear window. Isn't that bonded?

If it's really that easy then yes, I'd be happy to have instructions though. Drop me a PM or mail to simon at motorbikestoday dot com...

Cheers,

YG

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
The rear as well? That will be work with the TV booster connections and so on...

Instructions are easy, pop the door card off and pull back the black lining around the top. Wind the window all the way down and pull out the inner window rubber and then wind the window up until you see the giant nut appear in the large hole at the top of the door. Remove this nut and the glass will come out. Refit is the reverse.

For two rear screens it must take a few hours surely?

·
Registered
524 Posts
I've got privacy glass, too, so this should give a good idea of what they are like.

Depending on the sun, they can look completely black

Then at a different angle/light you can see through

/M
+1 Marlow Mines are the same

Just depends on the angle (Factory fitted) to how dark they look.
P.S
Marlow I like your back lights (where did you get them?)

·
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Seamus, I have a spare set of those lights which will be going on Fleabay at the weekend unless you want to make me an offer now...

I'll start bidding at £275 plus shipping.

YG

·
Registered
232 Posts
Seamus, I have a spare set of those lights which will be going on Fleabay at the weekend unless you want to make me an offer now...

I'll start bidding at £275 plus shipping.
That sounds very expensive. I'm afraid you've been pulled over the table, if you paid that much for them. They are approx 114 GBP + shipping new from Germany.

Do yours come with the post-facelift specific cabling ? That could make them more expensive of course.

Marlow I like your back lights (where did you get them?)
I got mine on eBay from Germany. They are red/black clusters with LED for brake and rear lights. Rückleuchten BMW E39 (5er) Limo LED schwarz rot 95-00 on eBay (end time 30-Mar-11 18:04:18 BST)

/M

·
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
They're genuine Hella Celis lights and they come with the LKM and wiring adaptors to plug them straight into a pre-facelift car. Though you do need to make the holes in the bodywork slightly larger with a grinding wheel (slightly scary but only took a few minutes).

YG

·
Registered
35 Posts
Individual sunshade glazing (S761A)

The Individual sunshade glazing comes in 2 variants:

For vehicles with:
Individual sunshade glazing (S761A) only

For vehicles with: Insulating double-glazing (S352A) And: Individual sunshade glazing (S761A)

Do you have double glazing as well?

Brgds

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
What's the difference with those then? Insulating vs. individual?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts