BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK my shift knob has not come completely off like some have, but it suddenly has this twisting looseness. It has about an inch of play in all, twists about half an inch CW and CCW. The shaft barely moves so it is definately the knob that is loose. Can I just whack it down to remedy? Or is this unlikely to help or potentially damaging to something down below?

Anyone else fix this problem without going to the dealer? Its under warranty, but I really don't want the drill of take it in so they can inspect it, wait for them to order the part, wait for it to come in, come back in again, drop off car...

Thx,
dob

B

·
0 Posts
Dobber said:
OK my shift knob has not come completely off like some have, but it suddenly has this twisting looseness. It has about an inch of play in all, twists about half an inch CW and CCW. The shaft barely moves so it is definately the knob that is loose. Can I just whack it down to remedy? Or is this unlikely to help or potentially damaging to something down below?

Anyone else fix this problem without going to the dealer? Its under warranty, but I really don't want the drill of take it in so they can inspect it, wait for them to order the part, wait for it to come in, come back in again, drop off car...

Thx,
dob
The knob just pulls off, and can be pushed back on. Not sure why it came loose, but if you align it correctly, and then push it down firmly but without too much force, it should snap back into place. If this doesn't work, maybe the internal connector bar inside the knob is broken.

Cheers, Daniel.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
I had mine come completly off one day during hard acceleration and shifting...thats a freaky experience. At the time till i put it back on i figured it was the screw on kind so i was pissy. Just push it back on tight and it should be fine.

·
10,445 Posts
the factory knob in my car was a bit loose too. I wraped a layer of black friction tape around the shift lever, then poped the knob back on, and it kept it nice and tight. I think the internal snap connector that holds the shift knob just wears out with time.
Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts