BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a large scratch on the driver's side corner of the front bumper. I took it in to get repaired and I received a call quoting me $600.00 to repair it. I was told that the factory installs a "clear bra" on the bumper which must be removed and replaced whenever there is a bumper repair.

Has anyone experienced this and, if so, what kind of prices were you quoted?

Thanks,
TexasM5

·
Super Moderator
10,461 Posts
I'm calling BS on that one. Those 'clear bra's" are aftermarket, sometimes dealer installed, but not factory. You'd know if you had one.

FWIW, my car is in right now, getting some hit and run damage repaired and i'm having my front bumper re-done as well to get rid of the road rash. To remove, disassemble, strip, repair and refinish my entire front bumper is $650
Mike

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Wow, that's just a blatant lie. I'm not sure if they are high-balling you on the price, but that just shows a lack of respect.

·
Super Moderator
10,461 Posts
while we're on this, could anyone with a clear bra share cost? I'm having my bumper refinished, and wonder if it's woth adding that to protect it from future road rash.
Mike

·
Registered
12,393 Posts
Are they just refering to the clearcoat over the whole bumper?? Using the term 'bra' incorrectly?

$600 is a good price for a bumper re-finish.... ask them what specifically they will be doing for the $600.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I understand from my local installer that they do not recommend applyng the clear bra over repainted surfaces.
You might want to inquire before you shell out the $.

mottati said:
while we're on this, could anyone with a clear bra share cost? I'm having my bumper refinished, and wonder if it's woth adding that to protect it from future road rash.
Mike

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
As above, I bet the shop was trying to say "clear coat" rather than "clear bra", as $600 is a good price to refinish the entire bumper, which is what probably needs to be done for perfect match.

I have also heard that installing a clear bra over repainted surfaces is not recommended as the manufacturers' will not gaurantee that the paint will not peel off when the bra is eventually removed. Having said that, you may want to enquire more if you want the clear bra becuase there is such variation in paint work. I suspect, but certainly do not know, that a properly cured premium quality paint job may do just fine with a clear bra.

·
Super Moderator
10,461 Posts
The shop that is doing my work (sorry to hijack the thread here) is who suggested that i consider doing a clear bra after the repaint, so i'll "never have to deal with the road rash again" they say.
Mike

KevinM said:
As above, I bet the shop was trying to say "clear coat" rather than "clear bra", as $600 is a good price to refinish the entire bumper, which is what probably needs to be done for perfect match.

I have also heard that installing a clear bra over repainted surfaces is not recommended as the manufacturers' will not gaurantee that the paint will not peel off when the bra is eventually removed. Having said that, you may want to enquire more if you want the clear bra becuase there is such variation in paint work. I suspect, but certainly do not know, that a properly cured premium quality paint job may do just fine with a clear bra.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
mottati said:
Mike
Check out Clear Armor, now in San Mateo. Their regular price is $1195 for the full set (entire front, mirrors, door handles, door edges, rear top bumper - trunk area), but I got mine for $800. I called around a lot of places and they're all over $1200. $1195 was the cheapest. But, only because another member here told me he got it for $700 or so.

Tell them you were referred there by people on the board who got it for around $700. $700 is still twice as high as it should, but who's cheaper in CA? That will help them and us. Oh - ask them to cover the whole bumper and expand the coverage on the front fenders. If you could, cover more on the hood too. The standard kit doesn't cover enough. Even after the kit, I still get tons of chips everywhere around the kit. Including the door! I don't take the freeway anymore. CA traffic sucks.

Oh - I got an autographed 8x11 picture of Jerry Rice too. He's a spokesperson. Coincidentally, I saw him at the grocery store buying a ton of AA batteries with $100 bill the night he got traded. Maybe it was for the flight to Seattle to talk about the trade. Everybody knew him, but pretended they didn't. Behind his back, people talked. But, when he turns around, they look up in the air.hihaHe's a class act.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
mottati said:
The shop that is doing my work (sorry to hijack the thread here) is who suggested that i consider doing a clear bra after the repaint, so i'll "never have to deal with the road rash again" they say.
Mike
I just read this... $600 is too high just for the bumper. I think it would be better to let the paint cure 3 months. Installers should warn you of this too.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
mottati said:
Mike
Check out StonGard or X-pel sites and see who their referred installers are. I got my full front done for $450, including mirrors.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts