BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An owner on the M6 board put on H&R springs to lower his M6 and experienced significant ride quality deterioration (see attached link). http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=778560&posted=1#post778560

I believe the M5, and the M6 in particular need to be lowered. As I stated in the thread on the M6 board (hopefully not a cross post), I have purchased Euro or RoW factory springs in the past (on a Porsche) and have considered doing this for my M6. I'm talking about getting the Euro BMW part numbers for the springs on Euro spec M6's, order from say a German dealership, and install them on my U.S. spec M6. I think this would give a much better look without sacrificing ride quality at all. My feeling with this is the car would be set up as the factory intended, and would look much better.

Will this work on the M6?
How much will it lower my M6?
Could someone please provide me with the Euro M6 spring part numbers (front and rear).

·
Registered
247 Posts
Could one of our member from across the pond measure the distance between the top of the wheel well to the ground and from the top of the wheel to the top of the wheel well.

Are we sure the springs are different?

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Just to be safe, what about the shocks also? USA vs ROW specs?

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I don't think there would a be difference between RoW and US cars. Porsche only did it to meet bumper height restrictions in the US/Canada bound vehicles. Our cars should not be affected as they are already high enough to meet those restrictions, I would think.

I may be wrong, but I think they're one in the same.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Part numbers for springs aren't listed for the US or Euro versions for the M5 and as of last night, the didn't have any part numbers for the US M6.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Zapper said:
Could one of our member from across the pond measure the distance between the top of the wheel well to the ground and from the top of the wheel to the top of the wheel well.

Are we sure the springs are different?
Just measured two U.S. spec M6's. All four corners on both cars measured 28 1/2 inches from the ground to the under edge of the wheel well with the measurement taken in line with the center cap of the wheel.

For your convenience, the conversion is 72.39 centimeters.

Anyone from across the pond have a measurement?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Finally!

I have been hoping someone else would take this idea and run with it. I had also suggested it to my friends over at the E60 board. This idea worked very well on previous Porsches and MB cars, and perhaps it will work here too. The OE springs do seem to have been dialed in beautifully for ride quality, maybe the eurospec ones re just a touch lower. Keep us posted on the progress...

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Would any non U.S. M6 owner run out to their garage and take a quick measurement so we can determine once and for all if there is a ride height difference.

Maybe someone at a dealership could take a quick measurement?

It would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
902 Posts
You could also try calling a US dealership parts dept. to get the part numbers for the front and rear springs and compare them to the part numbers I posted for the euro spec m5 form real oem.

·
Registered
985 Posts
MaxTimeOff said:
Just measured two U.S. spec M6's. All four corners on both cars measured 28 1/2 inches from the ground to the under edge of the wheel well with the measurement taken in line with the center cap of the wheel.

For your convenience, the conversion is 72.39 centimeters.

Anyone from across the pond have a measurement?
In case no one can chime in with a measurement, here is a pdf with a drawing and might be to scale. You can blow it up to more than 1500% without losing resolution and calculate/measure it from a print out.

http://www.bmw.nl/nl/nl/newvehicles/mseries/m6/2004/_shared/pdf/m6_datasheet.pdf

Scroll down to the last page for some measurements for the M5 and M6.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Habib_2 said:
In case no one can chime in with a measurement, here is a pdf with a drawing and might be to scale. You can blow it up to more than 1500% without losing resolution and calculate/measure it from a print out.

http://www.bmw.nl/nl/nl/newvehicles/mseries/m6/2004/_shared/pdf/m6_datasheet.pdf

Scroll down to the last page for some measurements for the M5 and M6.
Good thinking Habib_2...you may on to something here. The above PDF has a diagram of the M6 showing it to be 1372mm in height. I also have a UK brochure that I picked up at the Frankfurt show, which also has a height of 1372mm. With a quick conversion, that makes the height about 54.015 inches. I then went to the BMWUSA website. On their specification page it has a similar diagram with the U.S. height measured at 54.000 inches!

So, it appears that the M6 is the same height throughout the world, assuming of course that the data printed in the brochures are accurate, and, Holland and the U.K. are the same as RoW. Looks like the Euro spring option to lower our M6's is a non-starter.:(

That said, it would still be nice to get an actual measurement to verify all of this.

·
Registered
540 Posts
MTO..Nice investigating but I still can't belive they are the same height. Every photo I have seen of the Euro M6 looks to be significantly lower (at least an inch) than our US model and I have looked closely at five 6's here in CA.
I'll be following this closely as I need to know which springs to install without suffering from ride deterioration as well.

Thanks for starting this thread MTO.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You're welcome! I agree, I think it is a little lower as well. Seems like it should be easy enough to find out. There is a board member who just got his M6. He is kind enough to take a quick measurement tomorrow (German holiday so he can make the time). I'll post, or maybe he will and we'll figure this out.

I want it lowered but not at the expense of ride deterioration. Stay tuned!:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
hi MaxTimeOff,

this is Jags from Singh Autosport in Fremont, California. We import the M-series directly from Germany to the US and have been for the last 5 years, here's a vin number for a German car sold here. Call BMW and give them your VIN and this VIN and compare part numbers.

WBSEH9110C0B777526

The European versions do tend to sit a little a different, when we asked Europe they said the difference was the European version was made for driving and the US version was made for the average coffee drinking driver?? :confused:

When we import the AMG's they without a doubt sit much lower.

Let me know if this helps.:cool2:

www.singhautosport.com

Jags

1 - 16 of 16 Posts