BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
There is a ton of info out there, but I was hoping for a direct response to this question.

it appears I have a set of the facelifted headlights that may be possible to remove the lenses. It looks like Umnitza used to, but no longer sells replacement lenses.

Do these lenses come off and is it correct that you can't buy new ones from anywhere, thus making a headlight restoration kit your next best option?

I know, I'll clean my room.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
You need to remove the rubber grommet on the back of the headlight that looks like its used for draining (in your first picture it's that rubber L-shaped thing sticking out on the left hand side of the light). Under that you will find a date stamp. Tell us the date stamp and we should be able to tell you whether you can take them apart.

As for lenses,

Contact umnitza, my understanding is that have some spare pieces laying around...maybe full lenses with the euro indicator, maybe just the lenses. If it's just the lenses, you can buy them without the indicator and move your indicator over and have new lenses.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Umnitza is out of stock, but said they expect/hope to get more, they just don't know when.

That said, I used an entire 3M kit on the passenger side last night and it came out pretty nicely.

Buying the wiring harness adapters and splicing them together worked just fine.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Are these euro lenses, priced for a pair?

If so would you ship to the UK and how much total?

If shipping isn't catastrophically high, i'll take a pair, providing these are direct replacements for OE ones and don't fit only on aftermarket base units

Thanks

Jamie

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Nice. Good option for people to consider as the 3M kits are about $15 each and they take a few hours to do a good job. I think I'd pay $80 more to save the elbow grease.

Any details on these? I assume they're not Hella parts. Anyone buy them in the past? Did they hold up? If I were to replace them, I'd probably throw some Laminix over them to keep them nice.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Are these euro lenses, priced for a pair?

If so would you ship to the UK and how much total?

If shipping isn't catastrophically high, i'll take a pair, providing these are direct replacements for OE ones and don't fit only on aftermarket base units

Thanks

Jamie
Hella Euro Style Replacement Lenses [p39lens01] - $109.99 : Umnitza|BMW Angel Eyes|LED Angel Eyes|Headlights|Lighting|Performance|Service|8774866489
Priced for the pair.
Shipping is calculated on the site.

Nice. Good option for people to consider as the 3M kits are about $15 each and they take a few hours to do a good job. I think I'd pay $80 more to save the elbow grease.

Any details on these? I assume they're not Hella parts. Anyone buy them in the past? Did they hold up?
Not hella, works perfectly on Hella lights and DJ Auto lights as well.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Lights produced after 7/09 can not be baked open, all facelift lights need to be baked open - the clips are auxillary to the silicone

The umnitza lenses are a great replacement option. Especially as lights are sanded down, polished, sanded down, polished... etc... it eventually gets down to a relatively soft layer of plastic, at which point the pitting/hazing comes back in very short time. Replacement lenses are the only real remedy to this and the umnitza price is fantastic imho. Would almost make me consider not polishing a set at all and just replacing the lenses.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I understand that Scmiedmann also sell replacement lenses, but they're not cheap...
I've read this in a few places, but never actually found the lenses on their website. They have the pre-facelift lenses I think. If you can find the link, post it here. I've looked with no success after reading posts with the same comment you made.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Just so I know for sure, because mine was production date of April 2003. That means my headlights CANNOT have the lenses replaced?

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Just so I know for sure, because mine was production date of April 2003. That means my headlights CANNOT have the lenses replaced?
Its worth checking the headlight production date themselves as they may have been replaced at some time with 01/02 units, but more likely than not this is correct. Any lights produced after 7/02 can not be baked open and thus the lenses can not be replaced.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I recently got the Schmiedmann covers, they were made by Depo. They fit great but getting the old ones off was a task. My build is 12-01 and they had the non bake-able adhesive. I found you need to cut the lens front off with a cut off wheel, use wire cutters to cut the outer rim of the lens in half in one spot, start cutting away at the adhesive with a sharpened screw driver, and start pulling (don't forget the two small torx screws). After they're off you can easily clean out the groove of the old sealant and replace the headlight adjusters. I used non hardening windshield sealant for reassembly.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I bought the pair of lenses from Schiedmann. $170 delivered and took about 20 days from Denmark. I had Euro Hella headlights installed from previous owner. Goid fit and look great.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 17 of 17 Posts