BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ever since I purchased the car, I didn't really know what headlights and taillights were on it other than they were facelifted. My car is a MY 2000. I figured I would poke around and post some pictures of my head and tail lights as there are a few lighting mods I want to do. I would like to understand 100% what I got first. I originally thought my headlights were cheap Euro knockoffs because of the low output of the Halos and the inconsistent color (left to right)

Here is what I want to do:
1) Replace front lens glass. It is too scratched for me. I believe my headlights are MY 2003 facelift, because the lenses appear to be glued in. THe glue is weak though and it seems I can just pull them out. Even though I think the end price is expensive I will replace with these:
Schmiedmann - Search - New parts - page 1
I am not 100% sure how the black plastic separates from the the lens, but i think it just snaps in?

2) I want to replace my halo bulbs with Umnitza VXX or V5...where the heck do they plug in? I am not a dummy, but quickly looking, I couldnt find it.

3) Thinking about buying DEPO smoked tailights on ebay.

4) Replace High beams with yellow bulbs

Seeing this, it appears they are OEM BMW Hella

I want to replace my High Beams with bright yellow (Full yellow not just low temp halogen). Anyone know where I can find the bulbs. Part number?

Here are the tailights. It looks like mine had to be adapted to the facelift lights. So, if I were to purchase these DEPO lights off ebay would they just plug and play in my current setup? Anyone know if you can just swap the smoked cover?
97-00 BMW E39 5-SERIES 4DR SEDAN EURO CRYSTAL RED/SMOKED TAIL LIGHTS REAR LAMPS | eBay

Appreciate the help all!

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
H7 is the correct bulb size for the high beam. I used to have those exact bulbs, just hated the yellow reflection in the bowls...:dunno:

The headlamps you have appear at first glance to be OEM Euros. However, the AE's have been modified/replaced with an aftermarket alternative. Original units would have a socket holder on the reverse side of the lamp, between the low and high beams (you have a plug w/ wires exiting where there should be a closed-end, twist-off bulb holder. Unfortunately, you are left with baking open those lights and removing the actual rings if you want a different look.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
H7 is the correct bulb size for the high beam. I used to have those exact bulbs, just hated the yellow reflection in the bowls...:dunno:

The headlamps you have appear at first glance to be OEM Euros. However, the AE's have been modified/replaced with an aftermarket alternative. Original units would have a socket holder on the reverse side of the lamp, between the low and high beams (you have a plug w/ wires exiting where there should be a closed-end, twist-off bulb holder. Unfortunately, you are left with baking open those lights and removing the actual rings if you want a different look.
Hmm not the answer I was hoping for. I am not too familiar with the different headlight options. I would think that if they were facelifted they would have standard halos correct? Were halos not standard for facelift euros, or did someone actually just swap out the rings on mine?

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Hmm not the answer I was hoping for. I am not too familiar with the different headlight options. I would think that if they were facelifted they would have standard halos correct? Were halos not standard for facelift euros, or did someone actually just swap out the rings on mine?
Someone swapped the rings and replaced the original bulb socket with a plug. AEs are standard on all facelift 2001+ E39 headlamps.

The AEs you have are either very old versions or very inexpensive. They don't look like anything I've seen outside of Ebay. Definately not Predator Chromiums, Thinlines, or Orions.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Someone swapped the rings and replaced the original bulb socket with a plug. AEs are standard on all facelift 2001+ E39 headlamps.

The AEs you have are either very old versions or very inexpensive. They don't look like anything I've seen outside of Ebay. Definately not Predator Chromiums, Thinlines, or Orions.
I guess I should have been a little clearer with my question.

Could these have been non-facelift OEM euros that someone retro-fitted cheap ebay halo rings to? Or, do my headlight assemblies appear to be facelift?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
I guess I should have been a little clearer with my question.

Could these have been non-facelift OEM euros that someone retro-fitted cheap ebay halo rings to? Or, do my headlight assemblies appear to be facelift?

Thanks!
They started life as facelift units. The only thing that's been changed are the AEs. All things considered, it will make it easier to retrofit a better set of AEs since the lights have already been opened (and you know they can be opened). Those rings are either clipped-in or glued-in (or both). Either way, it should be a fairly straight forward PnP exchange.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They started life as facelift units. The only thing that's been changed are the AEs. All things considered, it will make it easier to retrofit a better set of AEs since the lights have already been opened (and you know they can be opened). Those rings are either clipped-in or glued-in (or both). Either way, it should be a fairly straight forward PnP exchange.
Ah i see. Thanks! It should have been obvious from the start that someone would fit in cheap ****ty angel eyes in place of the OEM :eek7:

Actually...I was ignoring the obvious. I believe my halos are composed of internal LED bulbs. They flicker on startup because of the resistances being incorrect. So, seems like previous owner wanted LED technology so bad that he turned to ebay.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright time to bump. I need some advice. I ordered the Umnitza V2s. Good news is that the wiring harness was already completed with my facelift, so I don't have to follow the crazy Umnitza wiring instructions. I connected the wires and they lit up like the moon.

Now the bad...
It appears some of you were right. My headlights appear to be knockoffs (not OEM hella) purchased off ebay. Someone then fitted the hella components and the XENON HID ballast and bracket to the back. Because the Halos are not OEM size and have a different way of mounting, the Umnitzas I ordered will not fit. They actually full forward through the black plastic housings.

So, I want to know what my options are. I am definitely going to replace the Halos, as i don't like the ones I have. Would my best bet be to purchase a new Hella headlight assembly, ensuring the fit of the Umnitza rings? Where could i get them the cheapest. I found some on Schmiedmann, but I am guessing these have the plug socket for the Halos?

What is the difference between the "with" and "without" Xenon facelift options from Schmiedmann?
Schmiedmann - Lighting and indikators in/outside for BMW E39 - New parts - page 1

Does one just come with the mounting bracket and HID ballast?

This is what mine look like...except equipped with Hella components and XENON HIDs
01-03 BMW 5 SERIES E39 DUAL HALO PROJECTOR BLACK HEADLIGHTS LAMPS + FOG LIGHTS | eBay

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I would venture a guess that the optics of the xenon ellipsoid projector differs than the optics of a halogen projector, for starters. Also, the mounting of the actual bulb is also going to be different in a xenon projector. So essentially it is basically the projector.

edit: Though, that is a guess, and it may be best to call and confirm that is not for extra components you already have, such as ballasts.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Also, on the tails, if they are Hella, you can look at the plastic that is just to the inside of the actual optical plastic, when you have the trunk open, and there will be a hella logo stamped in there. :M5thumbs:

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will check the tails. At the moment I am just not going to mess with the smoked tails, as the headlights could get expensive. I am going to call umnitza and see if they can walk me through the best option, as my lights are too rigged to modify appropriately.

I am thinking I will just end up buying projector39 from Umnitza. Just not sure what all I have to purchase and what I already have. Not sure if my XENON components will be transferable.

Also, what is the component on my headlight assembly that has the HELLA logo on it?

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
I believe thats the self-leveler.

Reactions: bdsmitty88
1 - 13 of 13 Posts