BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<object width="853" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/a3ZR5lf00SU?fs=1&hl=el_GR&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/a3ZR5lf00SU?fs=1&hl=el_GR&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="853" height="505"></embed></object>

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Even if the GTR was faster than the Veyron (which is not), there's still the Bugatti Veyron Supersport :checkeredflag:
Yes, but there are two packages that beat even Bugatti Veyron Super Sport. They are called Alpha 10 and Alpha 12 GT-R.
The "small" package delivers 0-160 mph in just 9 seconds. Bugatti officially anounces that the 1200 hp Veyron SS runs 0-300 km/h in 14.6
seconds. The GTR will beat that by far! Just wait for a couple of months, not more!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Yes, but there are two packages that beat even Bugatti Veyron Super Sport. They are called Alpha 10 and Alpha 12 GT-R.
The "small" package delivers 0-160 mph in just 9 seconds. Bugatti officially anounces that the 1200 hp Veyron SS runs 0-300 km/h in 14.6
seconds. The GTR will beat that by far! Just wait for a couple of months, not more!
So you're sayin' this Alpha 12 will beat the veyron in acceleration but not in topspeed? It's kind of hilarious that a lot of companies are tryin' to beat the Veyron just to be the fastest, like a competition or something.. If love the GTR but if I had the money I prefer the Veyron. At the end of the day you're going home in a unique car.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So you're sayin' this Alpha 12 will beat the veyron in acceleration but not in topspeed? It's kind of hilarious that a lot of companies are tryin' to beat the Veyron just to be the fastest, like a competition or something.. If love the GTR but if I had the money I prefer the Veyron. At the end of the day you're going home in a unique car.
The Veyron Super Sport costs 2.8 million dollars, and in Europe it will be close to 3 million euros, because more taxes apply to it.
The Alpha 12 GTR costs the car plus 75k dollars = 160k USD. 17 times cheaper.... than Veyron SS. There is no comparison here.

You are right on one thing. Only 40 Veyron SS will be made! Quite special car.... I admire the Veyron, but for that kind of money I would buy a 5-star Hotel or something!

The Alpha 12 and the Alpha 10 GTRs both beat the Veyron SS, in acceleration. Once GTR transmission gets a longer ratio, the Alpha 12 GTR will definitely reach well over 400 km/h too, since it is more powerful than Veyron.

Horsepower ratings:

Veyron 1000
Veyron SS 1200
GTR A10 1200+ (based on 1000 wheel hp on Mustang dyno)
GTR A12 unknown yet. estimated to reach around 1400 horsepower!!!

·
Registered
445 Posts
these Alpha GTR are just a modified car, goto the local dragstrip and there are many street cars that run faster than that

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
these Alpha GTR are just a modified car, goto the local dragstrip and there are many street cars that run faster than that
Indeed. But it is not really that simple because.... Alpha GTRs have all of the features below, that I don't know of any other car that has them ALL

1) AWD (enough traction for icy and wet conditions)
2) automatic tranny for urban conjested streets
3) have back seats
4) usable trunk
5) proven reliability (they do road trips - there is documentation if you need it)
6) turbo lag is minimum and certainly not annoying, since throttle response is great!
7) fully equipped (from heated seats to rear view cameras)
8) excellent for daily driving, like a Veyron
9) superb multifunction display screen
10) low 9s 1/4 mile passes @ 160+ consistently and repeatedly.

All those cars that are better in 10) are worse in at least 3-4 other categories.

·
Registered
163 Posts
The Veyron Super Sport costs 2.8 million dollars, and in Europe it will be close to 3 million euros, because more taxes apply to it.
The Alpha 12 GTR costs the car plus 75k dollars = 160k USD. 17 times cheaper.... than Veyron SS. There is no comparison here.

You are right on one thing. Only 40 Veyron SS will be made! Quite special car.... I admire the Veyron, but for that kind of money I would buy a 5-star Hotel or something!

The Alpha 12 and the Alpha 10 GTRs both beat the Veyron SS, in acceleration. Once GTR transmission gets a longer ratio, the Alpha 12 GTR will definitely reach well over 400 km/h too, since it is more powerful than Veyron.

Horsepower ratings:

Veyron 1000
Veyron SS 1200
GTR A10 1200+ (based on 1000 wheel hp on Mustang dyno)
GTR A12 unknown yet. estimated to reach around 1400 horsepower!!!
You're thinking it all wrong!

There is this one little story. Guy stopped to the gas station to fill up his Ferrari when suddenly another guy at the next pump started wondering "Don't understand why someone put's that much money into car". Ferrari owner looked at that other guy's Volvo and replied "Don't understand why somebody put's all of his money into car".

What's the catch? If you can afford Veyron SS, you could buy also that 5-star hotel and couple GTR's for your kids and still could afford Veyron SS.

It's just waste of time to start arguing which car is fastest because there will always be faster one. Veyron is production car that's built to run way over 400km/h from top to bottom. It's totally different story to make 300km/h car to run 400km/h. It will need much more than just longer gears and lot hp's to reach that 400km/h.

Here's one really fast street legal car which makes even that A12 GTR look a bit soft..
YouTube - FASTEST STREET CAR IN THE WORLD! Larry Larson runs 6.95 @ 209 on Drag Week!!!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here's one really fast street legal car which makes even that A12 GTR look a bit soft..
YouTube - FASTEST STREET CAR IN THE WORLD! Larry Larson runs 6.95 @ 209 on Drag Week!!!
This drag car is not a street car. Those huge tires are not legal in most places on this planet, and there are other problems too.... You know the list I made. Speed is useless, unless the car has some practicality, in it!

3) have back seats
4) usable trunk
5) proven reliability (they do road trips - there is documentation if you need it)
6) turbo lag is minimum and certainly not annoying, since throttle response is great!

Your car does not cover all the above. It does not have AWD, it cannot drive in winter conditions, it is very much oversteering on normal tarmac, even on those slicks, I am not sure if the driver stepped on the gas in rainy (let alone icy/snow conditions) he would end up in the ditch. Also the car has no back seats, its turbo lag is noticable, to say it gently; I don't know about the trunk, but that car really sucks in looks. Obviously there is no multifunction display, the gearbox has nothing to do with the original transmission UNLIKE GTR's tranny used in high horsepower builts. The biggest problem is that your car is terribly noisy and it does not have the equipment of a proper car, which the GTR has (dual zone A/C, GPS, heated seats, cruise control, refined interior, modern conveniences etc.). It looks more like a museum car!
It is not a car you want to drive every day. Therefore it is an epic fail!

·
Registered
361 Posts
This drag car is not a street car. Those huge tires are not legal in most places on this planet, and there are other problems too.... You know the list I made. Speed is useless, unless the car has some practicality, in it!

3) have back seats
4) usable trunk

Your car does not cover all the above. It does not have AWD, it cannot drive in winter conditions, it is very much oversteering on normal tarmac, even on those slicks, I am not sure if the driver stepped on the gas in rainy (let alone icy/snow conditions) he would end up in the ditch. Also the car has no back seats, its turbo lag is noticable, to say it gently; I don't know about the trunk, but that car really sucks in looks. Obviously there is no multifunction display, the gearbox has nothing to do with the original transmission UNLIKE GTR's tranny used in high horsepower builts. The biggest problem is that your car is terribly noisy and it does not have the equipment of a proper car, which the GTR has (dual zone A/C, GPS, heated seats, cruise control, refined interior, modern conveniences etc.). It looks more like a museum car!
There's still the fact that the Bugatti Veyron and SS are stock cars and a GTR a modified one. Some will say that the SS is just a modified Veyron, but that isn't right. You can't say the SS is a Veyron stage 1 or something, like there's Alpha 10 or 12..
What you say about the speed potential, I'm not sure if the GTR's areodynamics are as good as the Veyron at +400 km/h. There are years of development to make a car that can do +400 km/h and hold that kind of speed without any problems. In my opnion there's no way a company can do the same in a couple of months.
But like I said before, I like the GTR (stock or tuned). So the Alpha 10 and 12 are faster cars? Probably yes. But is it possible to tune the Veyron SS to beat the GTR Alpha 12? Probably yes.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There are Toyota Supras that reach almost 400 km/h. The GTR has much better aerodynamics.... All it needs is a longer gear ratio, and it will surpass 400 km/h easily, with well over 1000 horsepower. 2011 Texas Mile is in 4 months from now! In that event you will see the most powerful GTRs running (Alpha 10 & 12).

·
Registered
361 Posts
There are Toyota Supras that reach almost 400 km/h. The GTR has much better aerodynamics.... All it needs is a longer gear ratio, and it will surpass 400 km/h easily, with well over 1000 horsepower. 2011 Texas Mile is in 4 months from now! In that event you will see the most powerful GTRs running (Alpha 10 & 12).
I'm looking forward. There's also this GTR: YouTube - Switzer R1K R35 GTR 1/4 Mile Testing In-Car Video

·
Registered
163 Posts

3) have back seats
4) usable trunk

It may look like a drag car but still street legal and if you red that information box below the video, they drove 1200miles with that car without doing any mods or anything. So I'd say it's perfectly street car as some +1000hp GTR's. Yep, it's a bit from different century but when you start to argue which car is fastest on the streets, there will always be faster one.

Now you are starting to sound a bit stupid when comparing 2 car's that have about 50 years between them. Some people prefer old american muscle with pure hp's and those dual zone A/C, GPS etc. are pretty much irrelevant when you step your foot on the gas pedal! How can you say anything about turbo lag or way that it handles by just looking youtube video? If I have +1000hp GTR, it's pretty sure that on icy/snow conditions it would stay at the garage no matter how good AWD it has and pretty sure it woudn't be anyway my daily driven car. My E39 M5 doesn't have that 1000hp but still I don't want to ruin it in finnish winter with lots of salt on the roads etc so therefore it stay's about 7 months per year at warm garage.

Here's another little bit modern and FAST street car for you..
YouTube - Kyle's Underground Racing Twin Turbo Lamborghini Gallardo - 241 at The Texas Mile - TTG Mobil 1

·
Registered
163 Posts
There's also this one: YouTube - Top Gear NISSAN SKYLINE 1000HP GTR~ R33

0-300 in 12 seconds
Yep and what's been said on the video is that sister of that car made 375km/h and that's with 1000hp. To reach the Veyron SS top speed (430km/h) from 375 is a loooong way! Veyron SS got that extra 200hp, lightweight body, lowered suspension, even better body design etc. to reach that extra 20km/h above original Veyron.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It may look like a drag car but still street legal and if you red that information box below the video, they drove 1200miles with that car without doing any mods or anything. So I'd say it's perfectly street car as some +1000hp GTR's. Yep, it's a bit from different century but when you start to argue which car is fastest on the streets, there will always be faster one.

Now you are starting to sound a bit stupid when comparing 2 car's that have about 50 years between them. Some people prefer old american muscle with pure hp's and those dual zone A/C, GPS etc. are pretty much irrelevant when you step your foot on the gas pedal! How can you say anything about turbo lag or way that it handles by just looking youtube video? If I have +1000hp GTR, it's pretty sure that on icy/snow conditions it would stay at the garage no matter how good AWD it has and pretty sure it woudn't be anyway my daily driven car. My E39 M5 doesn't have that 1000hp but still I don't want to ruin it in finnish winter with lots of salt on the roads etc so therefore it stay's about 7 months per year at warm garage.

Here's another little bit modern and FAST street car for you..
YouTube - Kyle's Underground Racing Twin Turbo Lamborghini Gallardo - 241 at The Texas Mile - TTG Mobil 1
That old muscle car is definitely not street legal in Europe, with all those add-ons and slick tires. I doubt it is street legal even in your country! 1200 miles are nothing.... There are GTRs like P800 that have covered 30.000 km and still run with no problems. Longevity is not proven in 1000 or 2000 miles. I'd say 50,000 miles should be satisfactory. Turbo lag is also unavoidable in that muscle car, since it produces around 2000 horsepower. Also, this is 2010, not 1950 and a fast car means nothing if it is not well-equipped. The twin turbo Gallardo is a pretty good car, unlike that museum exhibit that ran high 6s.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts