BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Also, to update on the other bits - I’ve done one track day and about 600 miles since the parts went on. When I moved to m5 originally from a 996 911, I loved the engine and power, but the steering feedback was a disappointment. With the turner thrust and control arms (main factor I think) and the reduced weight I’m really enjoying the m5 now. The steering feel is so much better. there is no downside at all, I’m struggling to understand what Bmw was thinking with the bushes they used on these.

copse automotive in Surrey fitted the bits for me. I would recommend them- very good service at a fair price.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I was expecting that BMW would have spec'd out different bushings on the thrust arms and control arms but they are the same as the base E60. Those bushing are great for NVH but that is a drawback for precision and directness. Seems everyone is pleased by monoballs. I've got plans for monoballs on one of the cars but have alot of other general maintenance stuff to do first. I was thinking of starting off with the Meyle HD arm set up and then go to monoballs, although I might simply go directly to monoballs on the M5 I will track and for the non track M5 stick with the Meyle HD arms.

Any vehicle, including the 997 and 991 have a hard time comparing to the steering feel coming out of a 996. That is one hell of a benchmark. Feel improves quite a bit with reduction of sprung weight over the front axle as well as the unsprung weight. We have about 400 lbs more weight on the front axle than the 996. The reduced steering weight generally is an outcome of reduction of unsprung mass, in particular the reduced moment of inertia of the rotors as well as tire and wheel weight. It sounds like you are quite pleased with the steering weight as well?

I'm reluctant to go to 19s since that generally adds back weight vs. 18s. I'm also not wanting to increase front section width or offset since that only adds back effort. I may go the direction you've taken if my bespoke project doesn't work out (keep factory rotor size but change to 6 pot brake calipers and have it stay with in the same dimensions so that I could use 18" wheels). I know it seems odd compared to bigger is better mindset, but that is part of the porsche secret.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I can see why your thinking 18s. The forged 19wheels are very light though and if you go ceramic discs it’ll be lighter.

To my mind 18s are small for such a heavy car when disc diameter will help with cooling etc.

depends what everyone is after I know. All solutions can be good depending on what you are want.

having never had ceramics before though, I have to say I’m a convert now. The tech is amazing. Longevity is an issue it seems (I cannot comment on that) But in the short term they are difficult to question.

41 - 43 of 43 Posts