BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am going to get an f8x Bmw ceramic brake kit fitted to my e60 m5.

Bmw part number is this:

There’s normally a few on eBay or bmw give reasonable discounts on them.

I’ve already sourced adapters and modified rear parts for the handbrake from tronik

Couple of question I have though:

the f80 kit comes with a different brake booster. Does that make big difference and is there any sense in trying to fit it to my car. Any suggestions what would be best to do for e60?

also on f80 there is some coding done when it is installed (I think). Could anything be done on e60 since they never had ceramics?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Going with a company like a stop tech would be wise as they build everything according to what the car already has. How will you balance the brake bias? What if you have too much bite at the rear or too much front causing you to under or over-under braking? I always wondered if such things as simply look over function?

·
1,743 Posts
It is, but think about all the brake pad combinations with a stock system and then aftermarket brake systems that still work just fine with the stock dsc. Brake bias is another feature controlled by dsc so I wouldn't worry much about it. I admit tho I'm not familiar with the f80 ceramic option. With that said... do it!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did a bit of research before choosing the f80 setup. There are a few companies that offer conversions with the same gold calipers on e60. Racing brake is one

RB 400/380 Iron Rotor/OE Caliper Pkg. for E60 M5 upgrade to F8X M3/M4 CCM (gold) brakes

Above is with steel discs. I can’t find the post right now, but I remember seeing a discussion of the above kit on a forum where they showed the ratio of piston area front to back was almost the same as stock e60, so I don’t think bias will be a huge issue.

The company below have installed the set up on an m6. I asked them about it, but they didn’t change the brake booster, just ran it with the stock e60 part. They said it worked ok.

There’s another kit out there on e92 that seems to use the booster though?

I was wondering about coding as well.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
found this for the ccb brakes. the comparison wasn't to e60 m5 though.

CCB (gold) brake calipers:

Front 6 pistons: 30/34/36mm = 52.7 cm^2 (68%)
Rear 4 pistons: 28/28mm = 24.6 cm^2 (32%)
Total: 77.4 cm^2

Does anyone have the same for the standard e60 m5 calipers?

·
Registered
278 Posts
It sounds cool but I have Hawk DTC 60 pads with stock brakes and I can engage the ABS all day long at the track if I wanted too. I guess if you had slicks on a hot day you could pull off better braking. I will be watching your progress closely.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, it’s not cheap I agree, but F80 Ceramics kits with calipers you can get on eBay for 5 to 6k. For front and back it’s Comparable to other big brake kits.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Most people that actually use their cars end up swapping the carbon ceramics with steel rotors btw (911 GT2s, GT3s etc), since the replacement cost is astronomical.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, I'm aware of the risk. I might end up getting steel discs in the end. Second hand prices for ceramic discs seem pretty good though, so its not much cost overall to try them for a bit.

I spoke to a Porsche driver with ceramics at Donington a couple of months back. I asked him about the ceramics not lasting, but he said he'd done a lot of track days with his without issues (at least so far).

I only do 4 or 5 track days year and can do a few quick laps then some cooling laps so I'm hoping they will last a while. If the wear seems excessive I will take them off.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Modern ceramic brakes are more than up to the task of occasional track days...that's what they're made for. If you think replacing F80 carbon discs once in a while d/t heavy track usage is expensive, you should see what it costs to replace massive Brembo BBK rotors once a year for the same reason.

As far as I know, both MB and BMW, probably Porsche too, consider ceramic rotors to be "lifetime" parts if the car is driven purely on the street. On the track, still many times what you'll get out of a steel rotor. Of course, they're more expensive to replace than a steel rotor...but not that much more expensive to replace these days, especially with how big steel brakes have gotten. In fact, there is a recent thread on MBWorld detailing an owner burning through a set of factory steel rotors on a new S63 in something like 10k miles, with replacement costs probably only 30% cheaper or so than the ceramics would have cost new....and this was with aggressive street driving. Modern cars especially with brake-biased torque vectoring + DSC rely heavily on their brakes, and a big heavy car will burn through soft steel rotors like butter if given the chance. Ceramics may be more to replace, but you'll be doing it far less often, and in between, you'll get better handling, a better ride, better acceleration, a slight bump to fuel economy, no brake dust, and, of course, better braking performance in many cases. If you can swing the up-front cost, seems to be a good decision with modern-generation ceramic rotors.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Biggest practical negative to ceramics is noise, to the point where there are service bulletins saying owners shouldn't be alarmed by the new 6 figure car squealing during normal street driving.

Unsure where you're seeing carbons remotely close to steelies especially 2 piece that can be rebuilt. The 911 guys I know said a full set of rotors is well over 15k. F80 M3 ceramics are close to 14k... Perhaps it's all relative and I'm just a poor.

Low dust can be obtained by going with suited pads.

If you're tracking your car frequently/long enough ceramics are the clear best choice especially with a car over 4k lbs. I'd rather stretch my fun budget and throw in more cool down laps or breaks for my brakes.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bmw do a full setup (that’s discs, calipers, pads, shields & servo) at a discounted price (at least in uk) its 10k (uk pounds) list, but it can be bought for about 8.5k from some Bmw dealers.

Assuming you were just replacing the rotors and pads, you could buy the kit and sell the 4 new gold calipers for ~1.5 to 2k which means replacement pads and rotors would be just over 1.5k per corner. It is still expensive, but not 14k$ If you do it that way.

My parts for the installation should be arriving from Tronik end of next week.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Just to get it in there, why switch to ceramic rotors? That is really the big change based on my research. So here is what I have come up with, lighter weight, longer rotor life, more consistent braking at high temperatures. The first two are obvious the last one is a little hard to account for unless you are racing.

My experience with stock M5 brakes is very good. The two main issues are turning the TC off to save the rear pads and installing full race pads like Hawk DTC 60. My last good dry track day at PIR I was hauling *** and could engage the ABS with no trouble all day. That is to say the limitation was traction. As for the rotor life I plan on running my rotors until there is some performance indication that they need to be changed. I really think the biggest advantage for our cars is weight reduction. So then is it worth the additional cost or could more weight be dropped somewhere else for less money, seats come to mind.

As I am a late bloomer to the E60 M5 market cost is more of an issue that the early adopters who invested much more in there cars. If I could buy a rotor for say 3x what a cast rotor cost I may bight. So just for the front that would be +$2000 for the fronts and to be honest I don't really care what I have out back. On a beast this size and weight I am always concerned about being out braked by some small light weight car coming off the straight not to mention I'm probably going 30mph faster. And why do people brake so damn early?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Small update - I've got car booked in for Friday to get this lot installed (as wells as some turner thrust & control arm monoballs).
I hope it all works because I've also booked a track day for 31st January.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts