BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
I saw this thought I'd share it with you guys here:

Why the 2012 BMW M5 is automatic

Since spy shots first appeared last summer of the F10 BMW M5, it has been clear it will be the first M car available only with a fully automatic transmission, with manumatic controls of course. The spy shots were of the “planned leak” variety, allowing spy photographers to peek inside the next M5’s cabin. The transmission mated to the twin-turbo, gas direct-injection 4.4-liter V-8 will be a ZF eight-speed automatic, with no manual or twin-clutch transmission offered.
The X5 M and X6 M come with automatics, of course, but we’re counting them as crossover/utility vehicles.
Word is that BMW tried to adapt the Getrag M Dual Clutch Transmission (M DCT) for the F10 M5. M is tipped to have tuned the car’s twin-turbo V-8 to more than 550 horsepower. Although the torque number remains unknown, it’s obviously too high for the M DCT. BMW M discovered that the transmission would have to be beefed up with bigger actuators, which would slow down the transmission’s response time. The only way it could have worked was with an extensive redo of the M DCT. So BMW’s M division chose to go with the eight-speed manumatic only.
One competitor still offers both fully manual and fully automatic transmissions, the Cadillac CTS-v, while the Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG and its predecessors have long been manumatic-only.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If the Americans can so should the Germans

I would have to agree with you in that it would be terrible if they didn't come out with a proper gearbox for the new M5. GM was able to put a manual gearbox in the CTS-V which has 550 lb.ft torque. Also, no dual clutch? This doesn't make much sense. I hope Motortrend just received some bad information...

·
Registered
251 Posts
That would be a huge mistake.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I will be shocked if this turns out to be true. A lot of long time M5 enthusiasts would be looking elsewhere for their next ride.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I've driven the new 550i M sport

Very enjoyable- especially with the paddle shifters.

If BMW goes with a similar set up - I'm sure it will be fine

We can't go back to SMG and DCT apparently isn't a viable option at this point

We will see

·
Registered
12 Posts
It was bad enough having to imagine the new M5 with only DCT, but a 8 speed automatic is a devastating emotional downgrade. Putting a 8 speed slushbox in an M5 is sacrilege.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Read it on motortrend website too and I don't think it's anything official, I believe it will be just like the E60 M5, automatic for the first year or two to allow them time to R&D a strong enough DCT or MTX.

On a side note...Thank GOD for E39...I think I am going to hang on to mine for a lot longer than I first anticipated....

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
If necessary, they should delay the car so it is released with full M character. An automatic with torque converter does not fit this character. Leave that stuff to MB, Porsche and Audi. If the DCT is not available, they should release it with manual and/or SMG.

·
Registered
63 Posts
No manual shift is nothing new to Brits of course. The manual E60 was only ever an option in the US, and from what I've been told it was a strange unresolved drive as a result.

That's not to say that a manual shift should not be made available, because it most definitely should. We are slowly losing the interaction with our cars, thanks to emission and noise regulations and so on. But what we need is for the F10 to have been designed for a manual shift from the outset, not as an afterthought.

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Winning the horsepower war at the cost of losing the M heritage is a giant mistake. The connection, the control and the joy of driving a stick shift is simply unmistakable, and more importantly, unreplaceable. If this rumor holds true, it will truly be a sad chapter in motoring history. I take solace in knowing that I own a piece of the last great driver's machines, my carbon black E39 M5.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Winning the horsepower war at the cost of losing the M heritage is a giant mistake. The connection, the control and the joy of driving a stick shift is simply unmistakable, and more importantly, unreplaceable. If this rumor holds true, it will truly be a sad chapter in motoring history. I take solace in knowing that I own a piece of the last great driver's machines, my carbon black E39 M5.
I'm pretty sure there was never a chance the F10 M5 would show up with a manual. The debate I think is between SMG/DCT or an automatic. The latter being true sacrilege for an M car. (Hardy agreement on the E39 M5, though)

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
What does MT know about M cars, anyway. There is 0% chance that this is accurate. You think things are bad now and getting loud with the FI move, and if they not only didnt offer a MT version, to not have a DCT type transmission would be a none starter for the new M. I may already hate the new M under the guidance of the mInI Boss now running M, but I say that there is no way the engineers behind the scenes would offer such a vehicle with a slushbox. If it does, the end has trully occured right before our eyes.

·
Registered
935 Posts
speechless, but i'll try utter a few things:
1. F'in MT better be wrong
2. I thought by DEFINTION M cars must have manual/semi manual tranny???
3. the e60 did not come w/ a manual until people *****ed. Let us ***** even LOUDER!
4. the Benz SLS is a DCT as is the 458 Italia
5. Im def keeping my e39 m5

·
Registered
147 Posts
MT is basing their conclusion of "automatic only" on a "planned leak" that involved a permitted view of the F10's interior. I'm not an expert on BMW shift levers, but all of the new steptronic, DCT and SMG shift levers look the same to me. Is there some obvious visual difference between the DCT shift lever and automatic shift lever that I've been missing all this time? Or is MT just making assumptions (and you know what they say about "assume")?

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
Good point.

MT is basing their conclusion of "automatic only" on a "planned leak" that involved a permitted view of the F10's interior. I'm not an expert on BMW shift levers, but all of the new steptronic, DCT and SMG shift levers look the same to me. Is there some obvious visual difference between the DCT shift lever and automatic shift lever that I've been missing all this time? Or is MT just making assumptions (and you know what they say about "assume")?

1 - 20 of 87 Posts