BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who have taken delivery of your M5, may i know if your steering is vibrating? I am experiencing a slight but constant vibration regardless of comfort, sports, or sport plus suspension setting. The SA told me that is "road feel" and is to be expected from a sports sedan. I tried the broken-in test drive car and it exhibited similar behaviour, albeit to a lesser extent. I can understand the sports sedan part, but my M3 doesn't feel this rough so it's quite counter intuitive for the M5, which is a more executive interpretation to have this vibration. On the first couple of days, it got quite bad on some stretch of road that the dash board and wing mirror were rattling. It has went away on that same stretch of road so i am guessing more mileage helps. If this is consistent across the board, M would need to do something about it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I did not notice any vibration at slow speed for the last 3200km, but arround 140km to 160km i recently noticed some slight vibration. I am planing to get it checked with the next service

·
Registered
933 Posts
subscribed to see what happens here

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am monitoring the situation to see if it improves with mileage and at the same time, watch out for any technical bulletin release. Would be nice if new owners could chime in after collection.

·
Registered
78 Posts
This might sound silly but a friend of mine bought a new m3 e92. He took the car and it acted a little rough on roads the steering was vibrating he thought it was normal until he changed his tyres and saw that the shock absorbers plastic protection cover was not taken of by the dealer (bmw often uses those protection covers to make the ride height bigger for transportation purposes) Might worth to take a peak. Best of all.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I am monitoring the situation to see if it improves with mileage and at the same time, watch out for any technical bulletin release. Would be nice if new owners could chime in after collection.
No noticeable vibration now at 2000 miles...........

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This might sound silly but a friend of mine bought a new m3 e92. He took the car and it acted a little rough on roads the steering was vibrating he thought it was normal until he changed his tyres and saw that the shock absorbers plastic protection cover was not taken of by the dealer (bmw often uses those protection covers to make the ride height bigger for transportation purposes) Might worth to take a peak. Best of all.
Checked, no shipping block. The World's First Dedicated M Dealer can't possibly be that screwed up :p

Reactions: bikks

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No noticeable vibration now at 2000 miles...........
Are u having the 20" wheels? I just came back from a spin on the M5. The more i feel that vibration, the more it feels out of place. That vibration is a constant tremor unlike the bumps u get from road irregularity, which is not constant. When i come to an idle, i can sometimes feel the vibration at a much reduced magnitude. I am starting to think it's the way the steering column is mounted onto the chasis. Could also be the steering column bushings.

Reactions: S81

·
Registered
28 Posts
For those who have taken delivery of your M5, may i know if your steering is vibrating? I am experiencing a slight but constant vibration regardless of comfort, sports, or sport plus suspension setting. The SA told me that is "road feel" and is to be expected from a sports sedan. I tried the broken-in test drive car and it exhibited similar behaviour, albeit to a lesser extent. I can understand the sports sedan part, but my M3 doesn't feel this rough so it's quite counter intuitive for the M5, which is a more executive interpretation to have this vibration. On the first couple of days, it got quite bad on some stretch of road that the dash board and wing mirror were rattling. It has went away on that same stretch of road so i am guessing more mileage helps. If this is consistent across the board, M would need to do something about it.
Have the same problem on a 2012 E63, with Pirelli tires. Went away when I switched to winter Bridgestones. What kind of tires are on your car?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The car comes with 20" Michelin PSS. I will be bringing the car in for some wheel balancing at the dealer this coming Monday.

·
Registered
54 Posts
My M5's still brand new at 122kms and yes i also feel vibrations between 130km/h to 150km/h..on another matter, i also bought a 1M and it too vibrates from 120km/h. I'll send both cars in by next week and will review any updates once after. I thought i was the only one with this problem :sad2:

·
Registered
296 Posts
I've only had mine for a week but no noticeable vibrations that I can feel. You might want to check to make sure your tires are balanced properly. Given how soft they are, you could easily damage the alignment hitting one big pothole or driving too fast on a dirt road.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I don't feel the vibrations anymore, so i guess it's part of the running-in. I did a round of tire balancing at the beginning, but not much help. Just let it run a little longer. It should go away.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts