BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe this has been covered before, if so all my apologies.

I wanted the F10 M5 weighted illuminated shift knob but knew that that lighting connector was different in my 2000 M5. Cutting off the pigtail from my original shift knob in case was not an option in case I want to re-install it. Hacking the chassis harness is even a bigger no-no (any mods I perform needs to be 100% reversible, but that's just me).

Anyway, I found that an E36 AC Evaporator Temperature Sensor (P/N 64118385563) has the correct connector to mate with the pre-LCI center console harness. Got mine used off eBay, spliced it to the new one and it works like a charm!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pinout is simple: 2 wires and both sides have a brown ground wire. Brown to brown, color A to color B.

I didn't take pictures of the process, sorry. It's soldered, shrink-tubed and wrapped in cloth electrical tape. I can show the final outcome if you want.

I also went with a E39 540i shift boot instead of stretching the F10 one.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Why not cut off the pigtail from the e39 shifter you were replacing? Splice onto the F10 knob. That's what I did anyway.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
I want to be able to put the original knob unmolested if I want to, and it was only $9
I see. Most of the time people are replacing with the F10 knob because the stock knob is trashed.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Is it correct that the F10 and ZHP are identical other than the F10 is illuminated, much more expensive, and includes a leather boot?
lol. "they're the same" except for these reasons why they're different. If what you meant was, are they both weighted and black leather, then yes. Whether or not they're both the exact same weight is a question I can't answer with 100% confidence, but I'd guess they are close enough to the same weight to not be noticeably different.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Is it correct that the F10 and ZHP are identical other than the F10 is illuminated, much more expensive, and includes a leather boot?
The PO of my M5 installed the ZHP, and I put the F10 in my M3. To me eye the F10 knob looks slightly larger. IIRC you can get an illuminated ZHP.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts