BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Just for the hell of it, checked out AutoTrader on used 2013-2014 cars. Quite a few listed and many are ~$30k cheaper than MSRP already with ~15,000 mi and 2013MY.

J.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I don't think that's a fair assessment. In the first few years of any new premium car you'll always see values plumit dramatically. After say 3-4 years then values will stabilize and start to level off. This is why I never buy new cars with a price tag over $80k. You just proved this again for me.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I agree, I never buy these things new. You are right, it's an exponential drop from 0-4 years, followed by a linear drop from 4-10 years.

But $30k in 1.5 y is a lot. That's like 26%. The E60 were certainly bad too. I picked up mine, like new and loaded, 42,000 mi, 2.5 y old, $42k. I think the sticker was $99k.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Yes, I agree, I never buy these things new. You are right, it's an exponential drop from 0-4 years, followed by a linear drop from 4-10 years.

But $30k in 1.5 y is a lot. That's like 26%. The E60 were certainly bad too. I picked up mine, like new and loaded, 42,000 mi, 2.5 y old, $42k. I think the sticker was $99k.

My M5 new, was $98K. In 2 years, when I bought it used with only 26k miles on it, was $54k.

Yep. Let someone else pay full sticker and take the depreciation hit. lol.

Frankly, I think BMWs are becoming overpriced. Same goes for the cars in general. Yeah, inflation, strength, or lack thereof of the dollar, etc.

On BMW USA's website I priced out an M4 coupe with the options I wanted. It was $82,000. Ridiculous. That was like base price for an e60 M5 when it was new.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Reactions: Rodimusprime

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree on the depreciation! When you factor in inflation, the depreciation is even stronger.

Yes, they are too much $$ in absolute terms, though as you mentioned, a lot of that has to do with inflation as well (compare to an e36 M3 Coupe in 1993?). Also, built-in additional inflation from the cars just having so much more safety, luxury, and performance than before. My biggest issue is no low-cost options (the M235i and future M2 seem like a step in the right direction though).

So much nonsense going on though, like M X5/6 with slush box autos and crappy seats, a new 2 Series crossover using a FWD Mini platform, a $149k M6 Grand Coupe that doesn't even have the convenience of a hidden hatch back like an RS7 4.0TQ, changing a 320d in name only to a 328d to justify its huge price, offering a detuned 328i as a pricey 320i (I'd rather see a cheaper car with a 180 hp 1.5 L turbo I3), ...the list goes on and on. My biggest concern is sensors and actuators and other simple electronic components not even making it to 100k mi. Then they cost $1000 for part and $500 labor. Ridiculous. If BMW cares about their reputation, they should offer these spare parts at 10% of this cost. It's all profit for them and the dealers though.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Here in NZ, a brand new M5 costs in the region of $220-250 000. At the moment the exchange rate with the US is .88, so it works out to about $190 000 USD for a brand new M5.

Thus the new-owner depreciation is brutal, largely because the NZ New vehicles are competing with parallel-imported cars from Japan and England. 12 months after purchase most F10 M5's are going for a sticker price of about 150,000 - and dropping.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Totally agree with the comments about the ridiculous price of the new M4 with a few options and the depreciation of the M5 (both E60 and F10). My E60 sticker was $101k. I paid $40k when it was 3.5 yrs old, with 22k miles. Someone took a $60k hit over less than 4 years, or more than $1,250/mo of depreciation!

As for the price leveling off, I've had my car almost two years now, put less than 10k miles on it, and just got offered $36k on trade. So my depreciation -- were I to accept the trade, which I'm not -- would be approx. $4k over the course of two years. Certainly a much better deal than the original owner!

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Yup.

Bought my Jul-06 build in late 2019 (3.2yrs old and 25K miles) for $36K
and spent 4 fantastic years (and going). Even if I get $25K for it now, it well
worth it. Probably spent $5K on maintenance (rod bearings, clutch etc).

·
Registered
279 Posts
Yup.

Bought my Jul-06 build in late 2019 (3.2yrs old and 25K miles) for $36K
and spent 4 fantastic years (and going). Even if I get $25K for it now, it well
worth it. Probably spent $5K on maintenance (rod bearings, clutch etc).

A deal like that is nearly unheard of though. You can't really overlay that type of pricing onto any other values. Its just not realistic. With that said though they are depreciating at alarming rates. I wonder if the uber priced M6 GC will depreciate at an even higher rate or hold more value as it is very desirable?

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I also think the substantial F10 LCI changes (steering wheel, LED lights, suspension changes, availability of the competition package) didn't help the '13 F10 M5 resale values. I am not sure if the E60 had as pronounced changes during its life cycle to damage the earlier model resale values.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
I wonder if the uber priced M6 GC will depreciate at an even higher rate or hold more value as it is very desirable?

What gives you the impression the M6 GC is desirable?

It isn't to me. Where I live there are a lot of well off people and yet I have seen maybe one in the past year.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
I also think the substantial F10 LCI changes (steering wheel, LED lights, suspension changes, availability of the competition package) didn't help the '13 F10 M5 resale values. I am not sure if the E60 had as pronounced changes during its life cycle to damage the earlier model resale values.

Besides from bugs, kinks, etc in first model year cars, the LCI refresh is yet another reason I don't buy first model year cars.

I laugh at people who are jumping in line to buy 1st model year cars only to want to upgrade to LCI, get out of their leases, trade in, or complain when their car has issues - like with the F10 fuel pump and suspension issues.

Reactions: Fiftytwoeighty
1 - 12 of 12 Posts