BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided to upgrade my iPhone 5S to a 6 so with an Advanced Snap In Adapter not being available yet i need to free up my USB port for the iPhone so i can still benefit from Connected Drive etc.

This means i need to ditch the 64GB USB stick i'd been using for Music, Films & Music Videos & copy these onto the cars HDD.

My car is a MY15 & i'm trying to find out the capacity of the HDD i can use for Music?? I've read the HDD was only 80GB in total on MY13 & earlier cars but this was increased to 250GB late in 2013 so i'd assume unless the Nav Map files have quadrupled in size that i can store a good amount of media on mine but for the life of me i can't find out the factual storage limits??

Also, can the HDD take other forms of media such as Films etc. (assuming enough room exists) or is it purely music files??

Many thanks in advance:)

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Answered my own question by trail & error.

The capacity is just a touch over 20gig & you can only copy music files to the HDD as it ignored the video content & profile data on the USB stick. Would love to know what's using the other 230gig of space if they upped the capacity from MY14 from 80gig to 250gig.

Took about 35mins to copy 19gig of music from my USB stick tot he HDD but it does this in the background so no hardship.

·
Registered
166 Posts
How did you check the HDD capacity?
Why would one not be able to upgrade the HDD to say, I don't know, 2TB? or even SSD480GB?
Why, with cloning the old HDD (the one that is being upgraded) to the new one, then I don't see what the problem would be since they normally use the same/similar current...

Just wondering is all.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How did you check the HDD capacity?
Why would one not be able to upgrade the HDD to say, I don't know, 2TB? or even SSD480GB?
Why, with cloning the old HDD (the one that is being upgraded) to the new one, then I don't see what the problem would be since they normally use the same/similar current...

Just wondering is all.
I copied a USB stick full of media onto the HDD (think it's called Music Collection in iDrive) & once populated you can get the media drive partition size as it gives you how much used, the total & how much left.

My guess is you couldn't just replace the drive as given only 20GB assigned to music & i hear it's a 250GB drive, their must be an awful lot of other stuff on there that the car's accessing. Also the drive fitted is unable to deal with media other than music so again their must be a reason for this as if it was a standard drive then it would accept other file types.

To be honest, 20GB is enough really. I've still got the 64GB USB stick in the car, although now not in the USB slot as that's being used by my iPhone 6, however if needed i can put the USB stick in & have access to a larger media library & movies etc. Also my iPhone is 64GB so will now put a few albums on there too.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I copied a USB stick full of media onto the HDD (think it's called Music Collection in iDrive) & once populated you can get the media drive partition size as it gives you how much used, the total & how much left.

My guess is you couldn't just replace the drive as given only 20GB assigned to music & i hear it's a 250GB drive, their must be an awful lot of other stuff on there that the car's accessing. Also the drive fitted is unable to deal with media other than music so again their must be a reason for this as if it was a standard drive then it would accept other file types.

To be honest, 20GB is enough really. I've still got the 64GB USB stick in the car, although now not in the USB slot as that's being used by my iPhone 6, however if needed i can put the USB stick in & have access to a larger media library & movies etc. Also my iPhone is 64GB so will now put a few albums on there too.
:typing:
hmmm....fair enough..though the USB port in the center armrest will definitely support/power a WD 2TB My Passport, reason I know, I have tried it. I maybe weird, though I think I have a small library, but I believe I have approximately 100GB of music. Most of that though, is in FLAC format. The great thing is this, I have save the FLAC on my 128 USB Flash Drive and it plays on the iDrive! I love it!...now, for videos, I have not figured how to play them on the iDrive from USB Flash Drive, perhaps they do have to be saved onto the cars' HDD. Now I feel confused about the video playback in the car. I would like to play the music videos I have on the iDrive that would pretty sweet.

Something to look into I suppose. I've seen other members on there that have programmed/turned on additional options on the car. Hopefully some one can chime in and see who is around in my area (L.A.) :cool2:

·
Registered
756 Posts
I've decided to upgrade my iPhone 5S to a 6 so with an Advanced Snap In Adapter not being available yet i need to free up my USB port for the iPhone so i can still benefit from Connected Drive etc.
Hey--can you explain this to me? What's the implied relationship between the USB port and Connected Drive? Perhaps a different way of connecting to the Internet in the UK/Europe?

For the US, Connected Drive works with or without a phone so I load my phone use with all my music. The snap-in adapter never got my attention (tried one, didn't see enough value) so I plug my iPhone into the USB port and funnel all my music through there.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:typing:
hmmm....fair enough..though the USB port in the center armrest will definitely support/power a WD 2TB My Passport, reason I know, I have tried it. I maybe weird, though I think I have a small library, but I believe I have approximately 100GB of music. Most of that though, is in FLAC format. The great thing is this, I have save the FLAC on my 128 USB Flash Drive and it plays on the iDrive! I love it!...now, for videos, I have not figured how to play them on the iDrive from USB Flash Drive, perhaps they do have to be saved onto the cars' HDD. Now I feel confused about the video playback in the car. I would like to play the music videos I have on the iDrive that would pretty sweet.

Something to look into I suppose. I've seen other members on there that have programmed/turned on additional options on the car. Hopefully some one can chime in and see who is around in my area (L.A.) :cool2:
Unless set up different in the US, you can't put video files onto the HDD, just music files. The USB port/stick in the glove box can read video files as i have about 50 music videos & a few feature films on a USB & they play just fine. When importing from USB onto the HDD it ignores any files that are not Music.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey--can you explain this to me? What's the implied relationship between the USB port and Connected Drive? Perhaps a different way of connecting to the Internet in the UK/Europe?

For the US, Connected Drive works with or without a phone so I load my phone use with all my music. The snap-in adapter never got my attention (tried one, didn't see enough value) so I plug my iPhone into the USB port and funnel all my music through there.
Connected drive can't work without a mobile phone connected to either a snap in cradle or USB port in the armrest as it's using the Apps on the mobile (Facebook, Twitter, Glimpse, M Lap Timer, GoPro etc. etc.).

Snap in adapter also provides enhanced mobile signal as it's using the roof mounted ariel rather than the mobiles in built ariel so much better reception, of course it's also neat & tidy storage for the phone & removes the need for loss cables. The same functionality exists with the phone connected via cable to the USB port, but of course it's not as tidy & you loose the enhanced reception. In car Internet & other such functions run off a SIM card in the car, these functions are not linked to the phone.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Unless set up different in the US, you can't put video files onto the HDD, just music files. The USB port/stick in the glove box can read video files as i have about 50 music videos & a few feature films on a USB & they play just fine. When importing from USB onto the HDD it ignores any files that are not Music.
There is no USB port in the glove box any more--they merged them on MY15 (US?) cars. They also removed the DVD changer from the glovey. The snap-in adapter cradle has to be optioned on, too, now.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Connected drive can't work without a mobile phone connected to either a snap in cradle or USB port in the armrest as it's using the Apps on the mobile (Facebook, Twitter, Glimpse, M Lap Timer, GoPro etc. etc.).

Snap in adapter also provides enhanced mobile signal as it's using the roof mounted ariel rather than the mobiles in built ariel so much better reception, of course it's also neat & tidy storage for the phone & removes the need for loss cables. The same functionality exists with the phone connected via cable to the USB port, but of course it's not as tidy & you loose the enhanced reception. In car Internet & other such functions run off a SIM card in the car, these functions are not linked to the phone.
Oh, interesting. Connected Drive here uses the car's own cellular capabilities--no SIM (none that the consumer installs I mean) or cellular contract required (you pay for it by subscribing to BMW Assist annually).

BMW tell me the snap-in cradle wasn't popular and that's why they repackaged things (including lumping Office functionality in that same category, removing all of them and charging a premium to get it back... the latter change being idiotic IMO). Of course, I never used the cradle so no loss there for me and I rarely have cellular reception issues so wasn't motivated to leverage the car's antenna.

I retrofitted my own holder from a phone-wallet and stuck into the car with Velcro. I then ran a discrete cable from the centre storage bin (it allows the cable to exit while still being able to close it)--the phone is very easy to hook up and disconnect this way. You can see it in the attached pic of my head-unit near my knee.

head unit.jpg

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There is no USB port in the glove box any more--they merged them on MY15 (US?) cars. They also removed the DVD changer from the glovey. The snap-in adapter cradle has to be optioned on, too, now.
Sorry, I meant centre armrest not glovebox as correct their is no longer a USB port in the Glovebox.

I can't see how Connected Drive could differ as how does the car replicate your phones Apps if no phone is present. My Connected Drive scans my iPhone for Apps it knows/likes & then offers functionality in the car. Such as start/stop of GoPro recording, checking my Facebook or Twitter, timing laps with my M Lap Timer & using other Apps such ad Glympse. These have to be on my phone as the car itself doesn't have it's own Apps.

Other stuff like Office which includes calendar & notes etc. also pulls this off the phone. Some other Connected Drive features such as email & Driving Routes I believe do use the hidden in car USB (this doesn't cost in the UK) as well as the Internet feature which is a cost option although not a feature I've really used but Navigation direct from the Internet is kind of handy.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts

I just loaded 16GB of music onto the HDD. Additionally I also have 6000+ songs on my iPhone 5 that I can play using the Bluetooth connection.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just loaded 16GB of music onto the HDD. Additionally I also have 6000+ songs on my iPhone 5 that I can play using the Bluetooth connection.
It's such an easy process to get the music from a USB stick onto the HDD & once their it's just as easy to swap/remove it. I do wish the HDD could handle video but no real hardship having those on the 64gig USB stick for when needed.

Not tried the Bluetooth streaming as i keep my iPhone 6 connected to the car (now via the USB socket given no iPhone 6 snap in cradle is available) so the car picks up the tracks on my iPhone via USB rather than Bluetooth (pretty sure i read both can't occur so one cancels out the other).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts