BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to everyone, new member here. First let me tell you about the cars I had. E46 320i, e36 328i, e39 540i, e60 525d, e39 525d and current f10 530d. I'm looking to make a comeback in the petrol powered bmw and thinking about an f10 m5. I searched for a topic with common problems but I couldn't find any. If someone can help me with a link it'd be much appreciated. So far I was able to find out from other sources that there are problems with oil consumption and injectors. Any other common issues? Thank you.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I think both the oil consumption and injector problems are rare. My car uses virtually no oil between services.

There were problems with condensers failing across the F10 range but I imagine most have been changed under warranty by now. There have also been a few engine and gearbox failures but again I think these are rare events.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I have heard about bent rods...is this another rare exception on a tuned engine ? Has anyone needed to take out the rod bearings and looked at wear? Do people feel the need to do an oil analysis? Im also interested in a 2014 and onwards car, but need to do a bit of research first. Otherwise sounds like a hell of a csar, alittle bit on the heavy side I hear, but you should understand that prior to purchasing.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Seems a bit dead in the F10 section, compared to the E6X areas. Wonder why? Is there another forum, has there been some kind of exodus of members to outside the m5board? If so where?

·
1,901 Posts
I don't think there's been an exodus, just that perhaps the F10 is a little too new for lots of DIY. And perhaps a little difficult to work on as well...

Certainly it's always felt quiet compared to the E39 forum as well...

·
Registered
929 Posts
I have heard about bent rods...is this another rare exception on a tuned engine ? Has anyone needed to take out the rod bearings and looked at wear? Do people feel the need to do an oil analysis? Im also interested in a 2014 and onwards car, but need to do a bit of research first. Otherwise sounds like a hell of a csar, alittle bit on the heavy side I hear, but you should understand that prior to purchasing.

No stock motors have had bent rods

Do you really think 1st and 2nd owners that are neurosurgeons etc pulling apart motors to check rod bearings? They dont even get there car serviced
Oil analysis is a waste of time

If you think e60 is expensive to maintain wait until something on your f10 breaks

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Thanks for the response guys, I never thought the E60 miantenance would be anything else than pricey.
Going in with your eyes/wallet open when purchasing these cars is a must for me.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Hi J

This section certainly is a lot quieter than the others. It may be that the cars have few problems and therefore not much to discuss!

I saw a car the other day that had spun a bearing, it was an early car that had a tuning box fitted. The rest of the engine looked perfect. The guy who looks after mine says he’s seen a few now but I think all of them had been modified.

Great car, feels like big E39 that’s very fast indeed. If only we’d had the manual option in the U.K. ‘sigh’

1 - 9 of 9 Posts