BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
41 - 46 of 46 Posts
Kinder, I fear you missed my point above. It's possible, of course it is. There's little doubt that stripping the interior and fitting carbon buckets would reduce the weight massively, electric seats being hugely heavy of course. Replace bonnet and boot with carbon items. Strip out all the sound insulation. It's not rocket science. But then it isn't the car we all love.

My self and NealH both posted on our previous cars forum about our new cars, and several replies came through in the shape of 'my car's faster than an M5'. No doubt. But it isn't an M5, it doesn't have space and comfort, and quality, TOGETHER WITH amazing pace when you fancy. Absolute pace in numbers isn't always the most important thing with a daily driver, it's the greatness of the balance between everything.

And as a by-the-by on size increasing over generations, I followed a Toyota Hi-Lux home last night, damn, even those things are twice as big as the original...

I know what you meant ;) The M5 was my "ultimate" car since I first saw her on a test when I was 18. It was the "car to buy and to own" when I will be able to afford it. I bought her 4 months ago now.

This was just an "extreme" example of a track M5, but I will never do that to my car :eek: This car is just too perfect, even after 12 years lovelove

Back on topic, the increasing size is not just BMW, all the manufacturers tend to increase the size of their car. For example (I will pick french cars since I live in France :D ), the Peugeot 207 is bigger and larger than the 206, same with the Renault Clio 2 and 3 and so on. Is it just a "trend" ? Because the cars are not more confortable :D

Cool, Kinder, no probs :)

I've said it before but the Golf GTi is another example of both bloat and change of marketing focus over time. Interestingly now though, genuine hot hatches seem be coming back, and the motoring press seem think they've discovered a secret formula, it's just what was around in the 80's.

I think we are forgetting the simple fact that as Americans- been the biggest market- get fatter and more lazy- they expect the car to be all things.

Just does not work that way. More comfort for bigger people and a never ceasing need for luxury and safety crap means more weight and bigger car.

If the market overall wanting a Pure Driving Machine in a 5 series BMW would give it to us- but very few would buy it.

The develop for the masses not us.

My E39 is brilliant and when thrown around really does feel nimble, you can make it really dance in the corners. Just remember its not a thrash metal song it likes to dance with. More of a smooth high speed waltz.

Every generation gets bigger and so does the cars- the simple solution is to buy the model that fits size wise. The e90 really is a e39 size wise- esp if the e39 is not obese with options, stereos etc.

My 540i weighs with half fuel and me onboard at 80kg - it is 1740kg. so a dry weight of about 1630kg. Plenty of e90's come in at that weight with a few options.

As far as power goes, mine has 300hp and that is more than enough. More would be nice but for fast driving that is plenty, if you want more speed- become a better driver.

For me the Jury is out on the f10 till the m5 arrives- but it had better be brilliant to ever want to swap it for my e39.

I think the E39 will probably be the Zenith of all 5 series, the perfect blend of wants and needs- a engineers car, not a marketers car.

Just my opinion.

Monty

Discussion starter · #45 ·
I was wrong!!!!

Hi folks. I started this thread after my frustration and serious dissapointment with a loaner f10 535. Yesterday in Federal Hill, Baltimore I saw a new Blue 550i and was blown away. It looked "way better" as it seemed lower with fatter tires. I was standing outside Cross Street Tabacco enjoying an Alec Bradley when everyone just stopped in mid-puff, wondering what is that coming down the street. We all seemed to exhale in unison as it passed and we could see the 550i moniker on the back. One could only imagine what an M5 would look like...Stunning! So...i'd like to give my early apologies as the new M5 may be the best one yet...rendering the e39 as no longer the best M5 ever. The videos of the spinning wheels and launch control....leads me to believe that a knockout blow is on the way for the likes of the CTS-V, Jag XVwhatever, Hemiwhoever, etc etc. And if I could end this post on a musical note, it would be with the classic from the late Grover Washington Jr....The best is yet to come.
Cheers

Oh no, the new F10 is definately a looker and the interior is very luxorious and quiet. Problem is it handles like a bowl of pourage, or jello at best.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.