BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Parked next to a new F10 535 with sport package today .... what a good looking car! I'm very used to the M5 dominating the parking space, but OMG ... it's like an E39 on steriods!

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
I like the F10s. They're kinda big, though.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
+1

I may not be a 5 series guy anymore:sad3:...
It's BMW being BMW again. The F10 looks like a big E90, so it's kinda back to roots. All BMWs used to look alike but just vary in size.

Me like a white E91 with black wheels, though.

·
Registered
419 Posts
they are a huge improvement over the e60 design, a true e39 successor

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
they are a huge improvement over the e60 design, a true e39 successor
Dont they still have the stupid high doors and small windows that all current cars seem to have?
WTH is up with that???

Reactions: herrubermensch

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Well said, the F10 is the true successor of the E39 BUT the car itself is too darn big. They are as big as the older 7 series. No matter what you do, its tough and less fun when you try to be sporty with that much rolling mass.

Reactions: herrubermensch

·
Registered
419 Posts
anyone driven it in comparison to the e39? i think with advances in suspension technology it wouldnt feel as heavy as you think

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
anyone driven it in comparison to the e39? i think with advances in suspension technology it wouldnt feel as heavy as you think
I took one for a test drive (550). Sport package/auto with paddles. Felt plenty big to me. Nice cruiser however.

I suspect that the upcoming 3 series may be more of an E39 successor. If pattern holds it will be the same size or slightly larger than the E39. The current 3-series demographic will likely accordingly shift to the 1 and upcoming 2 series.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
I took one for a test drive (550). Sport package/auto with paddles. Felt plenty big to me. Nice cruiser however.

I suspect that the upcoming 3 series may be more of an E39 successor. If pattern holds it will be the same size or slightly larger than the E39. The current 3-series demographic will likely accordingly shift to the 1 and upcoming 2 series.
Yup, strictly speaking, size wise...
The E92 took over the E39
The F10 took over the E38
The 1 series is the new 3 series

Yes I skipped the E60 because visually that generation, also including that era's first-gen 7, should be forever purged from our collective memories.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Not to be the pedantic one, but that would be the E90, which is the 4-door 3-series and the E91 (wagon). E92 is the coupe, which is smaller than the E39.
I refer to E92 as any E9x vehicle, as I refer to any E36 chassis cars as E36s, despite some being E36/4 or E36/7 for instance.

You are right in that E92 refers to the coupe (which is still only a little smaller than the E39) but personally when I use E92 I mean any E9x vehicle. Historically I think thats how it will be referred to. Mostly because E90 has no relevance to the E46 whereas 46 doubled gives us 92, thus keeping in lineage.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Well said, the F10 is the true successor of the E39 BUT the car itself is too darn big. They are as big as the older 7 series. No matter what you do, its tough and less fun when you try to be sporty with that much rolling mass.
Go back another generation of two on the 7 series. I have a euro spec e23 chassis (1985 728i) and the e39 is bigger, longer and heavier than the e23.
But, my e23 has gotten exactly 0 miles on it since I bought the M5, its only movement has been to relocate to different parking spots on my property.
So, bigger doesn't in of itself mean no fun to drive. :dunno:

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Go back another generation of two on the 7 series. I have a euro spec e23 chassis (1985 728i) and the e39 is bigger, longer and heavier than the e23.
But, my e23 has gotten exactly 0 miles on it since I bought the M5, its only movement has been to relocate to different parking spots on my property.
So, bigger doesn't in of itself mean no fun to drive. :dunno:
Apples and oranges on the topic of fun to drive?
728i vs m5!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Those cars are huge. The recently revealed m5 F10 has grown on me some but I really need to gage it in person. last time i was at the dealer the F10 vehicles did not phase me at all. I'm afraid I may be stuck with the e39 for a long time. I can't wait to ESS it and add some better sounding cans but other than that I am stoked everytime I look at "my car." The F10 simply have no real sex appeal.

·
Registered
892 Posts
FWIW Mike Miller sang the praises of the new F10 535 with the sport package in a recent Bimmer mag.

Saw one on the road today and I also thought it looked like a very large 3 series. A lot better looking than the E60, though.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Yup, strictly speaking, size wise...
The E92 took over the E39
The F10 took over the E38
The 1 series is the new 3 series

Yes I skipped the E60 because visually that generation, also including that era's first-gen 7, should be forever purged from our collective memories.
True statement.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Just imagine what DINAN will get out of the F10 M5. Ford is coming out with an 800hp Shelby Mustang for $80K. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts