BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Santa Monica BMW just quoted me $660 to install my iPod adapter.

It should be 45 min of labor..

Simply amazing grrrrrrr

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
F#$% that!...why don't you take it to a mod shop?

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
is that including the adapter or just the labor. My stealer quoted me $750. With the adapter. I want to get it cause I have the iPhone, but damn that's more than the phone cost.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
that's insane. How much does the adapter alone cost?

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Santa Monica BMW just quoted me $660 to install my iPod adapter.

It should be 45 min of labor..

Simply amazing grrrrrrr
Way back when I got my adapter this was the same price I was
quoted. I just installed it myself and it worked with that version
of I-Drive. When it came time to upgrade the I-Drive version they
found that my I-Pod didn't work anymore and fixed it without
charge...I got lucky. I don't believe you can install it yourself these
days but I could be wrong.

EDIT: BTW, I think most of this charge is software upload time.
For whatever reason it takes forever to reinstall software on our
cars.

·
Registered
505 Posts
is that including the adapter or just the labor. My stealer quoted me $750. With the adapter. I want to get it cause I have the iPhone, but damn that's more than the phone cost.
you're better off not using that stupid integration adapter, because the playlist load is sometimes way laggggggiiiinnnnn. plus you can't text or read your text while u drive... (i know this can be unsafe, but yeah sometimes its necessary.) you're better off getting an extender dock and use the cup holder to hold your iphone, and just use the aux cable and boom. at least that's how i use it... and love it...!!!

Reactions: sattman

·
Registered
23 Posts
My dealer installed it for about $250 labor. I have since been very pleased with how well the iPod integration has worked.

·
Registered
991 Posts
My dealer installed it at no charge! I just payed $75 for the aux integration kit

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
all OK

thanks to this board I installed it myself in like 20 min! so easy~

Dealer updated my car to v29.2 for free! So much faster than the v22 I had :1:

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
you're better off not using that stupid integration adapter, because the playlist load is sometimes way laggggggiiiinnnnn. plus you can't text or read your text while u drive... (i know this can be unsafe, but yeah sometimes its necessary.) you're better off getting an extender dock and use the cup holder to hold your iphone, and just use the aux cable and boom. at least that's how i use it... and love it...!!!
where is the aux cable located? Do all the radios have this

·
Registered
505 Posts
where is the aux cable located? Do all the radios have this

i believe it is std on all i-drive setup. correct me if im wrong through... it is located inside of your glove box.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
i will check it out. This does sound easier, I notice lag when the bluetooth tries to go through my contact list on my phone so i can imagine how it would be going through thousands of songs.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
My dealer installed it at no charge! I just payed $75 for the aux integration kit

This is different than the Ipod intergration, right? this goes in the armrest, while the ipod kit goes into the glove box and can only be used with ipod, while the aux can be used with any device but wont show on the display.

·
Registered
991 Posts
This is different than the Ipod intergration, right? this goes in the armrest, while the ipod kit goes into the glove box and can only be used with ipod, while the aux can be used with any device but wont show on the display.
The auxiliary cable connects to the back of the radio which can be probably be accessed by pulling off the trim around the radio. There are quite a few diagrams online. I believe you plug in the old wires into the new clip that comes with the AUX kit and then plug it in. I don't have my install stuff with me at work but I'm pretty sure its like that. I don't think it is a tricky install either but I just went ahead and had it installed at the dealership because I was afraid I would break some of the carbon fiber trim or something tearing it apart.

On my '06 the AUX input is located in the glove box, in newer models it is in the center console.

I requested that the software update only include the AUX option on the source selection. This allows the driver to control the IPOD from the IPOD instead of from the iDrive. I prefer this because there is no lag from the iDrive and I don't have to play music from playlists. It seems the general consensus of the owners with iDrive control have many complaints because of the incredible lag and the fact that they can only select playlists.

It would be my recommendation to just have the AUX input and forget about the iDrive. I have a 4ft black cord that runs from my IPOD to the input that leaves enough room for me to control the IPOD while I drive and lay the IPOD in the passenger seat or conveniently above the ashtray. I also just leave it in the glovebox if I know I am not going to change songs/artists/or playlists for a while.

anddddd the AUX input is great because I could plug in any other source such as an ipod shuffle or a '94 walkman:cool2:

·
Registered
224 Posts
I got the USB/iPod kit on my 08. There is no lag in showing songs/artists/albums etc. and you are not only limited to playlists. Moreover, I plugged various other MP3 USB players and those worked without a problem as well.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
interesting. I still think the aux input is the way to go for me. Unless they can run the ipod interface into the center console. The main reason being that my iPod is my phone and even though I use Bluetooth I still need it by my side and not in the glove box. Besides the iPhone is so easy to use I won't mind that its not hooked up to the idrive.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I got the USB/iPod kit on my 08. There is no lag in showing songs/artists/albums etc. and you are not only limited to playlists. Moreover, I plugged various other MP3 USB players and those worked without a problem as well.
You were able to connect other MP3 players and control it through the iDrive?

·
Registered
224 Posts
You were able to connect other MP3 players and control it through the iDrive?
Yes. I connected a Samsung phone that plays MP3s as well as a friend's non-Apple USB MP3 player (I do not remember the brand) and was able to control playback through iDrive as well as the wheel buttons just like an iPod.

·
Registered
505 Posts
here is the fine line that comes across defining what is slow or not. to me it was really slow when I had a very long listing of playlist, even worse when I had the playlist in foreign language. but I just hate how I drive itself is so damn slow...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts