BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I am not the original owner on my 01 with 13k miles BMW says no to the warranty extension. what are my options?

I am not a fan of aftermarket companies - you need to have a rep come out - takes awhile etc. Kinda crappy that I can not simply extend my warranty.

-Jeff

·
Registered
140 Posts
Isn't it interesting how BMW have different policies for different markets? Here in the UK any subsequent owner is entitled to roll-over and extend the warranty as long as the chain is unbroken. Have you checked if they offer any options at all? I wonder what the official BMW party line is on this 'discriminatory' treatment - anyone else know how or why this works and how they get away with it?

Good luck

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
You need to have a low key discussion with a sympathetic BMW finance manager... some dealers WILL do a cpo in an owner's car. Technically they are supposed to buy the used M, cpo it, then re-sell it. Some of them will 'facilitate' the process. BMW charges $1295 for a cpo... offer the dealer $2k to do it, they might find a way..

They can get in trouble for this, so they are pretty skittish. If you were in N. CA i could recommend a few.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
MartinW said:
Isn't it interesting how BMW have different policies for different markets? Here in the UK any subsequent owner is entitled to roll-over and extend the warranty as long as the chain is unbroken. Have you checked if they offer any options at all? I wonder what the official BMW party line is on this 'discriminatory' treatment - anyone else know how or why this works and how they get away with it?

Good luck
IMHO, it has everythng to do with the independent dealer network. The US dealer just LOVE this- they can create a 'perceived value' of a 'dealer-cpo-car' with an extended warranty and charge $5-10k more that a private party can charge selling the exact same car but without a warranty.

The only reason BMW now offers the OOP (original owners plan) is that it has NO impact on BMW dealership sales! Owners that are NOT buying a new car, but just keeping their car can extend. In fact, I understand that the warranty is NOT transferrable if it is bought less than 90 days prior to a sale! (So an original owner can't buy the warranty and sell the car with a warranty in a week or two!)

This is you local BMW dealership screwing you. BMWNA doesn't gain a thing.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Has anybody tried to extend the warranty as a previous owner? The whole thing is kinda ridiculous. I still have my original wiper blades at 13k...there is not one thing wrong with the car and won't be for some time.

Some dealership could make some good money...

-Jeff

·
Registered
97 Posts
Nolift911 said:
Has anybody tried to extend the warranty as a previous owner? The whole thing is kinda ridiculous. I still have my original wiper blades at 13k...there is not one thing wrong with the car and won't be for some time.

Some dealership could make some good money...

-Jeff
I tried to do this for the buyer of my M3. Dealer said that in order to transfer the warranty they would need to see documentation of title transfer and that the title cannot be transferred fewer than 90 days after the warranty is purchased for the warranty to transfer.

Anyone know of a dealer in the Tri-state area that will do a CPO for a reasonable fee?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts