BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
What year is your car? 2006? Miles? 2006 are approaching the 10yr old mark.....

Probably best "self insuring" yourself...i.e. stash the money for a rainy day. Not sure what kind of "watertight" warranty you can get on a close to 10yr old car....

Edit: How many miles do you put on it a year?

·
Read Only
1,256 Posts
Probably best "self insuring" yourself...i.e. stash the money for a rainy day. Not sure what kind of "watertight" warranty you can get on a close to 10yr old car....

^^^ this. Plus nearly (if not all) warranties have "out language" for any aftermarket mods. The claim among the insurance sales folks is that you can just swap out the mod before an adjustor looks at it. And often they don't look at it if the dealer rep says it's good. So for example if you have an aftermarket exhaust and your car dies, you'll need to either have a dealer rep that won't tell the insurance company it's not OEM, will lie for you if asked directly, and then hope it's not visited by the insurance adjustor themselves. Or you ask the dealer if you can go up there before hand and swap the OEM exhaust out before it's inspected. Sounds like a winning plan!

But of you're bone stock and just need coverage, I'd stock some cash away under the mattress instead.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I went with a warranty from Bruce. If you do a search on warranties, you will find him. He can be hard to get initial contact with but his warranties cover what you want on an M6 and are reasonably priced considering.

As others have already said, the other option is to start a repair fund for your car. A good way to go if you have the discipline and your car gives you some time before your first repair. I went for the peace of mind.

GLWS

:cheers:

Jim

·
Registered
147 Posts
I think if you have problematic (back to back issues) or smg m5.. U should warranty it. But other wise check up on your rod bearings, regular maintainence and keep a rainy day fund of a min $3000.. With a good indy mechanic you will be fine. Alot of these repair prices are inflated dealer prices you will never pay a indy.

One plus side of a warranty is selling.. It will sell much faster

1 - 9 of 9 Posts