BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Extended Warranty Questions SORRY!

Ok guys i did a search on this b/c I know that many have asked and written on this....so please excuse my ignorance. I not am clear on just a few things

I have a few questions....

1. Is the warrenty is still active then another owner can purchase an extended warrenty.

2. If you buy the car privately - can you then purchase an extended warr from a third party?

3. If BMW can CPO it (from a private dealer) than can it be extended through them instead of a third party.

4. If you do purchase the extended warrenty from a third party is the payment for the entire warrenty or year-by-year.

5. How does the company you are buying the extended warrenty from know if the car needs major repairs before granting an extended warrenty. Is it checked by them?

6. Can you keep purchasing extended warrenties for the life of the car or can you only extend it once per owner....

Thx very much guys - I am looking for a 2000-2001 M5 but I have NO credit here as I just moved from Canada so I can't get a loan yet...if I could have I would have bought one from this board - oh well hopefully in the next 6months to a year!

Thx Again
Marven

·
Registered
12,393 Posts
Re: Extended Warranty Questions SORRY!

Using your numbers:

1. Usually, but might depend on the warranty. The BMW CPO extended warranty and the BMW $$$$ Original Owner Plan extended warranty are both transferrable.

2. Yes. Expensive and coverage can vary WIDELY. Some companies will refused coverage if ANYTHING is modified. Read the contract

3. Technically a BMW dealer can only CPO a car they own. To cpo a private party deal they would need to 'buy' it from your seller, then 'sell' it to you- essentially brokering the deal. Hard to set this up. If you are buying from a non-BMW dealer, even harder.

4. In the US, all I've ever heard of is a lump sum purchase.

5. most companies require the car to be under an exisiting, factory warranty- this will eliminate the scam factor.

6. most warranties last 6 or 7 years and 100k. I've rarely heard of longer coverages. You cannot go forever.

Good luck

A

·
Registered
5,078 Posts

States differ when it comes to warranty issues. Your best bet is to car your local dealership, they will probably have the most accurate info. for your geographical area - Good Luck:)

·
Registered
12,393 Posts

Beamer_usa said:
Your best bet is to car your local dealership, they will probably have the most accurate info.-
Couldn't disagree more.

Sorry

A

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

ard said:
Using your numbers:

1. Usually, but might depend on the warranty. The BMW CPO extended warranty and the BMW $$$$ Original Owner Plan extended warranty are both transferrable.

2. Yes. Expensive and coverage can vary WIDELY. Some companies will refused coverage if ANYTHING is modified. Read the contract

3. Technically a BMW dealer can only CPO a car they own. To cpo a private party deal they would need to 'buy' it from your seller, then 'sell' it to you- essentially brokering the deal. Hard to set this up. If you are buying from a non-BMW dealer, even harder.

4. In the US, all I've ever heard of is a lump sum purchase.

5. most companies require the car to be under an exisiting, factory warranty- this will eliminate the scam factor.

6. most warranties last 6 or 7 years and 100k. I've rarely heard of longer coverages. You cannot go forever.

Good luck

A
Thx for the info!:byebye:

·
Registered
12,393 Posts

Marven said:
Can you please elaborate?hmmm
There are countless examples of dealers who are dishonest or ignorant, and will tell you bad information- in this case, bad info about extended warranties.

Soem dealers didn't know that BMW offers a warranty. They will insist that the only warranty is there 'in house' brand of 3rd party.....Sometimes they may know, but get a biggert kickback from an aftermarket. Sometimes they will tell you that "regulations in this state require X Y or Z" and there is no such requirement. They will lie to you about what is covered, then when you have a problem 2 years down the road the fine print tells you the truth.

THis board is you best source of info. The dealer is a retailer looking to sell youy stuff- they are not a trusted partner looking to give you the very best technical, legal and financial information.

My 2 cent elaboration.

·
Registered
5,078 Posts

ard said:
They will lie to you about what is covered, then when you have a problem 2 years down the road the fine print tells you the truth.
I can't see how "they" can lie to you when a contract must be signed by both parties. Usually it's all there in black and white. I'm not sure about others on this board, but I always read the fine print before I sign a binding agreement and fork over my hard earned money. 2 years down the road should not be a problem, as long as what is covered by the warranty is clearly outlined in the warranty contract. IMHO

·
Registered
12,393 Posts

Beamer_usa said:
I can't see how "they" can lie to you when a contract must be signed by both parties. Usually it's all there in black and white. I'm not sure about others on this board, but I always read the fine print before I sign a binding agreement and fork over my hard earned money. 2 years down the road should not be a problem, as long as what is covered by the warranty is clearly outlined in the warranty contract. IMHO
In the snippet you chose to excerpt from my post - I would agree.

But if they tell you that there is no such thing as a BMW OOP extended warranty, reading all the fine print on all the other warrantys will not disclose that fact.

Let's look at the broader issue of the original posters question: where to get the best information on extended warranties. Anybody (other than BMW corporate) believe your local dealer is the BEST place?

A

PS How about when they say "the clutch is covered" but when the clutch needs replacing they change their tune to "defects are coverd but this is (abuse ot normal maintenance wear, pick one) and refuse to cover. Read all the fine print you want- these nuanced distinctions will not be disclosed by the dealer....IMHO

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts

ard said:
There are countless examples of dealers who are dishonest or ignorant, and will tell you bad information- in this case, bad info about extended warranties.

Soem dealers didn't know that BMW offers a warranty. They will insist that the only warranty is there 'in house' brand of 3rd party.....Sometimes they may know, but get a biggert kickback from an aftermarket. Sometimes they will tell you that "regulations in this state require X Y or Z" and there is no such requirement. They will lie to you about what is covered, then when you have a problem 2 years down the road the fine print tells you the truth.

THis board is you best source of info. The dealer is a retailer looking to sell youy stuff- they are not a trusted partner looking to give you the very best technical, legal and financial information.

My 2 cent elaboration.
I think this is true in all countries. I couldn´t agree more with Ard when he says "This board is you best source of info."

If it hadn´t been for this place, many problems on my car would never have been solved, and I would never have discovered what lying ***holes some people working for BMW Sweden are.

David

·
Registered
5,078 Posts

ard said:
In the snippet you chose to excerpt from my post - I would agree.

But if they tell you that there is no such thing as a BMW OOP extended warranty, reading all the fine print on all the other warrantys will not disclose that fact.

Let's look at the broader issue of the original posters question: where to get the best information on extended warranties. Anybody (other than BMW corporate) believe your local dealer is the BEST place?

A

PS How about when they say "the clutch is covered" but when the clutch needs replacing they change their tune to "defects are coverd but this is (abuse ot normal maintenance wear, pick one) and refuse to cover. Read all the fine print you want- these nuanced distinctions will not be disclosed by the dealer....IMHO
I agree with you 100%, this board is the best source of information. I also agree with you when you say not to trust dealers, they are there to make money and all they care about is the bottom line. I have also had my share of hair pulling warranty issues with my local dealership.
As far as clutch issues are concerned, that is a "wear and tear" item. I don't know of any third party or CPO warranties covering "wear and tear" items (ie. brakes, shocks, windshield wipers).
For example, I am currently under a CPO warranty until 5/06. The only thing that assures me of is major engine failure or drivetrain issues. Even then the dealer would still have the option to say "driver abuse" Unfortunately, warranty issues are a never ending battle, my friend:sad1:

·
Registered
340 Posts
I agree with ard. My dealer was "not aware" of the manufacturer's extended warranty service and tried to push one of those aftermarket products some feel are not worth the paper they are written upon. I had to educate them! Guess where I discovered the info needed to prove them wrong? Here!

Good luck to the originator of this thread.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts