BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering purchasing an extended warranty for the best but DO NOT want a third party - would rather have it covered by BMW. My car has 13k on it and had only 9k when I bought it. Warranty coverage expires in March of 05.

How much of a stickler are they for "not the original owner" How do they check and has anyone done this and not been the original owner. If teh car still has the original factory warranty in place before you get the extended I fail to see the logic of the one owner deal. Anyone else? Anyone done this?

-Jeff

·
Registered
208 Posts
Nolift911 said:
I am considering purchasing an extended warranty for the best but DO NOT want a third party - would rather have it covered by BMW. My car has 13k on it and had only 9k when I bought it. Warranty coverage expires in March of 05.

How much of a stickler are they for "not the original owner" How do they check and has anyone done this and not been the original owner. If teh car still has the original factory warranty in place before you get the extended I fail to see the logic of the one owner deal. Anyone else? Anyone done this?

-Jeff
Jeff,
My understanding is that as long as the car is still in warranty you can purchase an extended warranty through BMW. Also, you can purchase through any dealer you like, need not be the one that originally sold the vehicle.
Cheers,

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Jeff,

This question has been asked several times in the "Dealer's Forum" at Bimmerfest; you might do a search over there. The official answer is always the same, that original owner has to buy the extended warranty, but I think anyone can buy an extended maintenance agreement. I agree this does not make any rational sense.

Although I am not positive, I suspect that the actual answer to your question is dealer specific. Some dealers/service depts have been know to go the extra mile for a special customer.

Let us know what you find out when you talk to your dealer.

Kevin

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting. I know the maint program is anyone it was the warranty that I was confused on. I would like to hear the rationale behind it. Reason I ask is that I was sitting at a dealer today and looked at the brochure offering it and it clearly states original owner. Only thing I wcould think of is that it would be at odds with the CPO program - dunno.

For a car that has only been factory serviced I fail to see why I, as the second owner, could not purchase an extended warranty from BMW.

Wonder if they actually check to see if you are? They run a VIN on it and see when/where/who registered it? Does that mean ownership though?

-Jeff
[email protected]

·
Registered
92 Posts
Not true at all. If the car is under warranty, the current owner, even if not original, can buy both an extended warranty, and extended maintenance. I know, because i did it a few months ago. The price goes up as you get closer to your expiration date though. Once you've passed your original warranty date though, there's no way to get the warranty, and BMW doesn't warn you at all. Personally, I think it's well worth the investment. The full warranty/maintenance extension ran me about $5k, but I have a relatively high mileage vehicle (Around 38k miles when the extended plan was purchased.

rasputin

·
Registered
37 Posts
My dealer told me the same thing about being the original owner. Presumably it's to avoid competing with the CPO program - otherwise anyone could sell a used BMW with a BMW extended warranty. I would like to know of any dealers that are 'relaxed' about this requirement though, esp. in Northern California.

rasputin said:
Not true at all. If the car is under warranty, the current owner, even if not original, can buy both an extended warranty, and extended maintenance. I know, because i did it a few months ago. The price goes up as you get closer to your expiration date though. Once you've passed your original warranty date though, there's no way to get the warranty, and BMW doesn't warn you at all. Personally, I think it's well worth the investment. The full warranty/maintenance extension ran me about $5k, but I have a relatively high mileage vehicle (Around 38k miles when the extended plan was purchased.

rasputin

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
I also inquired about extending the warranty on my '01 through BMW. They told me no way since I was not the original owner. Seems to be some conflicting reports on this issue.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Yeah I hear different things about this also.

rasputin - Are you sure this is a genuiune BMW factory warranty extension and not some aftermarket third party they are using and didn't inform you? I know the extended maintanence is available to whoever but the extended warranty from BMW?

I would like to speak with this dealer - who are they?

I think there are many that would like the coverage as well but the original owner thing is a mystery....

-Jeff

·
Registered
680 Posts
Extended maintenance vs. extended warranty...?

Can someone explain the difference between the two?

-Matthew

I just bought one from my dealer and now I'm not sure which I bought... I didn't know there were two offerings!! :nono: ouich

·
Registered
39 Posts
BMW of Chattanooga told me they would sell me an extended warranty for my '01. Cost was $3,900. My '01 has 44,000 miles on it.

They told me the price didn't change based on the mileage, but you do have to purchase before you hit 49,000.

Gary

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
I spent a bit of time on this:

Technically the ONLY way to get an extended BMW warranty is (a) cpo or (b) being the ORIGINAL OWNER.

There are plenty of dealers selling extended warranties that LOOK like it is theirs but it is NOT BMW. Look closely and the name behind the fine print is NOT BMW.

To further confuse, there are dealers who will cpo you car- they call this a 'refinancing'. Techncially the ONLY way for a dealer to cpo a car is for the dealership to own it. The cpo program is a vehicle for a dealership to gain a competitive advantage over private party sales by getting an extended warranty that nobody else can get. It is $2500 cheaper than the new O2P (Original Owner Plan). (roughly 3749 versus 1295)

I just bought a private party car and found a dealer willing to sell me a cpo for 1295- plus 500 for their 'troubles'. They bought the car from my sellert and sold it to me in the same tranaction/sitting/visit.

Be very careful with the extended maintenance- if you time it right and the brakes are done under the first plan (that comes with the car) then the next plan might just be for a few ould changes - and not be cost effective. You should figure out what maintenance you'll need when you get closer to the 50k limit.

nt send me a pm...

ard

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
This is the official BMW NA annoucement of the extended warranty plan:

"In support of BMW’s ongoing efforts to develop stronger relationships with our
customers, BMW of North America and BMW Financial Services have jointly
developed the Original Owner Protection Program (2OP). The 2OP Program
is an extended service contract product that offers extended protection
exclusively to the original BMW retail purchaser or leasing customer. The
Original Owner Protection Program is targeted at two groups; either new BMW
retail purchasers or lessees who may decide to purchase their leased BMW at
lease-end. To be eligible for this program, the vehicle must still be covered
under the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty at the time of enrollment.
Consumer Benefits: Customer benefits of the Original Owner Protection
Program (2OP) include:
• Program backing by BMW of North America
• 2 year/50,000-mile peace of mind protection (takes affect at expiration of
BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty)
• Scope of coverage like the Certified Pre-Owned BMW Vehicle Program
• Includes BMW Roadside Assistance
• Use of original BMW new or authorized remanufactured parts
• No vehicle inspection required
The Original Owner Protection Program is tentatively scheduled to launch in
late July across the country (except in Florida and Puerto Rico), pending the
successful testing of supporting systems and final state approvals as required
(still pending in WY). A separate bulletin will be issued in the next few weeks
announcing the official launch date of the program and giving you more details
about the launch and the Program content.

Original Owner Protection Program Availability: After it is launched, this
program can be sold at all BMW centers that have signed a Center
Participation Agreement for this program, except those in Florida and Puerto
Rico (due to state legal requirements). 2OP Program availability in Florida and
Puerto Rico will be announced later this year. However, authorized BMW
centers in Florida and Puerto Rico will be able to honor coverage (covered
repairs) under this program."

Kevin

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Regarding the 2OP- one dealer told me it must be more than 90 days 'old' to be tranbsferrable- so a seller can't buy it 'for' the buyer! Isn't BMW nice to their dealers?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I just purchased a warranty from AAA for my 2000 M5 with 46,200 miles. The warranty was $3520 for 5 years/up to 100K miles with $100 deductible. I have had the same plan with no deductible on my 99 540i for about 16 months and it has been great. I take the car to the dealer for service and they deal with the warranty people. They pay every claim without problem, and cover everything that BMWs warranty would. They even paid for an Oxygen sensor replacement (Service rep said that BMW considers that a maintenance item and would not have covered it).

Considering that AAA (they sell it under Member Services) is a reputable company I couldn't see paying BMW so much money for just 2 years of coverage. I got 5 years and 53K miles of coverage. You can also pay for it over a year and it is fully transferable to the next owner.

Hope this helps
Peter M

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Just so folks know- CA has severely restricted the sale of 'extended warranty' or 'MBI' (mechanica breakdown insurance). I'd say the CA universe is only 10% of the choices in the rest of the country. Virtually all internet companys are out of CA for now.

·
Registered
39 Posts
ard said:
I spent a bit of time on this:

There are plenty of dealers selling extended warranties that LOOK like it is theirs but it is NOT BMW. Look closely and the name behind the fine print is NOT BMW.

ard
Interesting, BMW of Chattanooga never mentioned it wasn't a BMW warranty

Gary

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
gdnichols said:
Interesting, BMW of Chattanooga never mentioned it wasn't a BMW warranty

Gary
If you are an original owner, no problem.

IF you are not the original owner then it is an aftermarket or they are putting a cpo on it somehow.

I can't speak to what exactly they are selling, just what BMWNA has for rules and products the dealers work under.

Did you ask them if it was BMW backed?

·
Registered
39 Posts
ard said:
If you are an original owner, no problem.

IF you are not the original owner then it is an aftermarket or they are putting a cpo on it somehow.

I can't speak to what exactly they are selling, just what BMWNA has for rules and products the dealers work under.

Did you ask them if it was BMW backed?
I'm the second owner.

No, I didn't think to ask, I just ASSumed it was from BMW.

Thanks for the heads up

Gary

1 - 18 of 18 Posts