BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know there are a lot of posts out there on extended warranties. The big issue is that most of the deals that use to be around...aren't there any longer. I'm looking to purchase an extended warranty + maint on my vehicle which based on the numbers will be around 6-7K(around $3500 each). The question I have is whether anyone here has found a deal purchasing both at the same time. I know any dealer can sell the two...and my local dealers tend to over charge...so I'm simply asking around to see if anyone has had any recent deals they would love to share :) My warranty is up in March so I have about 1 month to close the deal.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Best I have been able to find in terms of BMW extensions is a 10% discount when purchase extended maintenance + warranty at same time. Was quoted last week, and dealer did not appear to up-charge from BMW pricing (prices before 10% discount):
$3495 for ext. maint. (2/100)
$5740 - 6/100, $5870 - 7/70, $7180 - 7/100 for extended warranty (platinum).

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Which extended warranty was that? Is that price just for the warranty part....5740...7180..etc..?? I've seen the 10% but extended warranties have been around the 3-5K mark..haven't seen too many at 7K..or at least maybe I have tunnel vision and refuse to pay that much :)

Best I have been able to find in terms of BMW extensions is a 10% discount when purchase extended maintenance + warranty at same time. Was quoted last week, and dealer did not appear to up-charge from BMW pricing (prices before 10% discount):
$3495 for ext. maint. (2/100)
$5740 - 6/100, $5870 - 7/70, $7180 - 7/100 for extended warranty (platinum).

·
Registered
51 Posts
Those are quotes for the BMW platinum extended warranty. Extended maintenance is separate $3495. Not cheap.

The infamous question - is it worth it? Subjective at best.

My quick math says extended maintenance may be worth it (at least breakeven) if have not done brakes before 4 yrs is up, plan to keep car, and have service done at dealership (brakes seem to run ~$1500/axle base on SA quote + posts on the board).

Extended warranty is tougher calculation (or at least even more subjective). One "good" SMG or VANOS issue and could recoup a significant portion of extended warranty cost, but the question is -- will you have an issue. From my perspective, really just buying insurance against potential that will have a problem (for a vehicle that is very costly to have significant work done on it).

Pricing is steep, likely indicative of BMW's perspective re. cost of repairs + their profit motive. Unfortunately, the deals for at least some of the other aftermarket warranty choices appear to have dried up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts