BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rant mode on!

Purchased an extended warranty from Bruce M. back in 2011 after picking up my M5. Here's what was quoted to me, and others here, on what the policy was.

For full exclusionary coverage for your car from NAC, a 25-year old company that has an excellent claims paying reputation, and is US direct-insured (no crazy offshore RRG), etc etc. There is a $100 per-visit deductible, and no caps on labor rates so you can go to a franchised dealer for repairs. VANOS and SMG are covered.

36 Months / 50,000 Miles
48 Months / 50,000 Miles
48 Months / 75,000 Miles
60 Months / 50,000 Miles
60 Months / 75,000 Miles
72 Months / 75,000 Miles

36 Months / 36,000 Miles
36 Months / 50,000 Miles
48 Months / 50,000 Miles
48 Months / 75,000 Miles
60 Months / 50,000 Miles
60 Months / 75,000 Miles
72 Months / 75,000 Miles

36 Months / 36,000 Miles
36 Months / 50,000 Miles
48 Months / 50,000 Miles
48 Months / 75,000 Miles
60 Months / 50,000 Miles
60 Months / 75,000 Miles
72 Months / 75,000 Miles

All terms listed are additive, meaning a month mile plan would expire months from the day you buy ther warranty, and when you add an additional miles to the odometer.

36 months / 36K miles = $2963

48 months / 50K miles = $3488

60 months / 75K miles = $4728

Any questions just let me know.

Bruce
Well, low and behold this has not been the case. For instance, an every repair that has been made under the warranty they would only pay the labor rate they wanted to pay, about half the rate for here in So Cal, so I have had to make up the difference.

The first failure was an ignition coil, had to wait two days for the part to come in, they do not use locally sourced parts, had to make up the difference in labor.

Had a right mirror fail, that was replaced, again after waiting for a couple of days for the part to arrive, and after paying the labor difference.

The alternator failed, the warranty does not cover incidental items damaged as a result of a failed part, so the battery that was only 2 years old and was wiped by the failed alternator came out of my pocket, $600.00?!?!?!?!, and the labor rate difference.

Had another coil failure this past weekend, took the car in for repairs and they found a thermostat fault. This needs to be replaced at $1100.00, but, wait for it, it's EXCLUDED under the full exclusionary coverage policy I purchased.

This company, NAS, that supposedly has a
excellent claims paying reputation and no caps on labor rates
had neither and something that should have been covered under the warranty isn't. Didn't even have the courtesy to give a reach around, douche bags!

Rant mode off

·
Registered
689 Posts
Sorry to hear of all of your troubles. Have you spoken with Bruce about this directly? He has sold a ton of warranties to members here and seems to have a very good reputation. Not to me as my credit union offered exclusionary coverage for less than half of what he sells his warranties for. Hopefully mine will pay any claims (I haven't had any yet) without the same trouble you've run into.

I'd be interested to hear what others experiences have been with warranties Bruce has sold to them.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Dang, that sucks. I think this it the first bad review of NAC I've read on the forums. Where are you trying to have the car fixed? Any chance that NAC has local dealerships on the authorized list (meaning they've already agreed to a labor rate)??

That would suck to have to pay the difference.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
They as a 3rd party extended warranty company have the right to pay what they want for labor. As much as it sucks to hear they can. A lot of extended warranties use Mitchell which is an online website that lets you pick the parts and repairs and gives a baseline of how many hours it takes for a repair and labor rate. This gives extended warranties the ability to negotiate with labor hours and labor rates. That's why a lot of service advisers dread calling them because it takes up a long time on the phone.

What is your labor rate there in California for BMW dealers?

·
Registered
620 Posts
Since my car is currently at the dealer being looked at... what company if you don't mind my asking?

·
Registered
856 Posts
Don't go to the dealership - they're notoriously high. Try to find a reputable local shop to do the work, if the warranty will allow that. Just a thought.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Following up . . .

To answer questions and provide an update.

DaveW68 - Not Bruce's fault, he was told something by his contact that didn't come to pass, as far as the labor rate thing goes. Cooled head after the morning rant does show that the thermostat is excluded under the terms of the warranty in section 15. Doesn't make it any less painful though. ouich

SuckaGDog - The rate at Monrovia BMW is $152.00/hr. The only reason it's at the stealership rather then The M Shop is, the M shop is closed on Sundays and Mondays and they currently have a waiting list for repairs and service. It's my daily driver and I can't wait for a couple of weeks to get it repaired. At least the stealership provides a loaner car while they have their hands in your pocket.

So they are fixing the coil and I am getting the car back. Did a little research here and found that others have received a similar code situation, which resulted from the thermostat not closing. My car was not overheating, and hasn't been even in upper 90s weather, so this is probably the problem. I'll be keeping an eye on the temps to make sure and using the DIY I found here to change the t-stat myself. $90.00 from Turner Motorsports for the t-stat, local stealership for the o-rings and crush gaskets, some replacement coolant and a few hours of my weekend should get this done.

The most bothersome aspect of this is, I don't thrash the car. I've never launched it, tracked it and do the regular service. I do drive it fast, but that's what the car was meant for.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
To answer questions and provide an update.
SuckaGDog - The rate at Monrovia BMW is $152.00/hr. The only reason it's at the stealership rather then The M Shop is, the M shop is closed on Sundays and Mondays and they currently have a waiting list for repairs and service. It's my daily driver and I can't wait for a couple of weeks to get it repaired. At least the stealership provides a loaner car while they have their hands in your pocket.

So they are fixing the coil and I am getting the car back. Did a little research here and found that others have received a similar code situation, which resulted from the thermostat not closing. My car was not overheating, and hasn't been even in upper 90s weather, so this is probably the problem. I'll be keeping an eye on the temps to make sure and using the DIY I found here to change the t-stat myself. $90.00 from Turner Motorsports for the t-stat, local stealership for the o-rings and crush gaskets, some replacement coolant and a few hours of my weekend should get this done.

The most bothersome aspect of this is, I don't thrash the car. I've never launched it, tracked it and do the regular service. I do drive it fast, but that's what the car was meant for.
I understand. With high performance cars there always comes the upkeep. You should have saw the past winter on here! There was at least ten people reporting thermostat failures and I had one myself its very common. It causes the car not to heat up quick enough and triggers the fault when its stuck open. Can't believe the thermostat isn't going to be covered its like one of the few things on this car that should be covered without a problem. You said its not covered under your policy? Is it due to the policy not being the highest one or something else? Just trying to understand. :dunno:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Can't believe the thermostat isn't going to be covered its like one of the few things on this car that should be covered without a problem. You said its not covered under your policy? Is it due to the policy not being the highest one or something else? Just trying to understand. :dunno:
I was equally shocked, here's the exclusions;

15. Replacement of maintenance items. Spark plugs, glow plugs, PCV valves, filters, lubricants, thermostat housing, alignments, coolants and thermostats, Batteries, fuses, hoses, belts, tires, wheels, wheel covers, tire pressure sensors, light bulbs, sealed beams, light assemblies, LED lighting, lenses, shock absorbers, seat belt systems, exhaust systems /catalytic converters, brake rotors, brake drums, brake shoes, brake pads, speakers, cellular phones, upholstery, paint, glass, trim, moldings, weather strip/seals, door handles, lift gate handles, tailgate handles, door bushings/bearings, body panels, sheet metal, bumpers, frames, sub-frames, brackets, convertible top assemblies, vinyl top, personal computers, phone systems and pre-heated car systems, rust, corrosion, water intrusion, water damage, water leaks, air leaks, carburetors, ON STAR (or any roadside assistance system), manual clutch system, programming, reprogramming, or updating a component that has not mechanically failed. Any equipment not installed by the manufacturer.
There's the thermostat, it's a maintenance item don't ya know? First time I have ever heard a thermostat listed as a maintenance item, but the same goes for some of the other items listed. Tire pressure sensors are a maintenance item? Really? What's the manufacturers recommendation for routine replacement?

·
Registered
13,470 Posts
I feel your pain, another reason why I did not re-extend mine once my previous extended warranty expired.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Just looked up my list of exclusions on my carmax warranty, the thermostat is NOT excluded. Definitely a weird thing to have under normal maintenance.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Just looked up my list of exclusions on my carmax warranty, the thermostat is NOT excluded. Definitely a weird thing to have under normal maintenance.

Yeah the MaxCare warranty is surprisingly good at covering almost all items. I have had a center console replaced because of a lock that I had to break apart because it got stuck and an entire gauge cluster flown in from Germany because I could not reset the trip odometer. (2004 Cayenne S) Worth every penny IMO.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Company Representative for Becks Imports LLC
418 Posts
Hey, please contact me if there is a problem with a claim! That's why I am here.

Thermostats are covered on about half the warranty company plans out there. It is a maintenance item on many cars (for example Audi says on many of its cars that the tbelt, thermostat, etc should be replaced every 90K), so that's why many companies exclude it. Also because most warranty companies are scared to death of covering overheating issues, due to the risk of people continuing to drive their cars with no coolant or when the temp is in the red. So coolant hoses, tstats, etc are many times excluded.

NAC did get more difficult with claims over time. I no longer work with them because of that. However, I see they pay tons of claims for my customers. They definitely do not have a hard cap on parts or labor, and do not only go by Mitchell's or Alldata. While I am not defending them and do not know the specifics of what happened here, I do see a lot of dealers trying to gouge them, and they (and other warranty companies) are fighting back.

A recent case, PS pump on a Benz. MB warranty reimbursement rate to dealer of $1150, retail customer pricing of $1450, and they called it in to NAC for $1700. WTF?

Bruce

·
Registered
101 Posts
I bought my NAC policy from Bruce and things have been fine from the service Bruce provides, and NAC has been a bit of a head ache for the claims I have had to make.

My m5 has been at Kuni BMW in portland for 8 weeks now. The bank 2 idle air actuator failed, and then the engine wiring harness needed to be replaced. NAC had reps come out, and they repeatedly denied claims. I called NAC, requested to speak with a manager and explained how many times my car had been at the dealership (total of 5), how many times claims were denied, and that the car broke down on the freeway leaving me stranded for 3 hours. The manager was helpful, and said that he will oversee things to ensure it's covered. BMW is monitoring the car now before giving it back to me. My fingers are crossed that the issues are finally resolved.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I've had the opposite experience with my NAC warranty. They've paid out close to $15,000 for my car. It's at the dealership getting VANOS actuators and solenoids on the right side done now. I'm damn glad I bought mine from Bruce. I'd have bailed on this car a long time ago if not for the warranty. Sorry you're having problems. NAC did squawk a bit about the SMG pump, but Bruce called NAC and got it covered. My man!

·
Registered
512 Posts
I bought my NAC policy from Bruce and things have been fine from the service Bruce provides, and NAC has been a bit of a head ache for the claims I have had to make.

My m5 has been at Kuni BMW in portland for 8 weeks now. The bank 2 idle air actuator failed, and then the engine wiring harness needed to be replaced. NAC had reps come out, and they repeatedly denied claims. I called NAC, requested to speak with a manager and explained how many times my car had been at the dealership (total of 5), how many times claims were denied, and that the car broke down on the freeway leaving me stranded for 3 hours. The manager was helpful, and said that he will oversee things to ensure it's covered. BMW is monitoring the car now before giving it back to me. My fingers are crossed that the issues are finally resolved.
8 weeks? Dang. I hope they gave you a good loaner. I've been driving a brand new 335i xdrive for the last week while mine's at the dealership for VANOS work. I'm amazed at how fast this car is. The seats are horrible, though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts