BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who provides the best and cheapest 3rd party extended warranty? How is it determined what is normal wear and tear for coverage? For example, would MAFs always be covered under a warranty?

·
Registered
12,952 Posts
jordantii said:
I have AAA and it does cover MAFs and most other stuff. Not the clutch though.

Jordan
Can you post up some info or PM me? I am looking for one now.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
109 Posts
After reading many of the threads regarding the warranties on the forum, I decided to go with AAA. They were actually cheaper than 1sourcewarranty, and like it was just mentioned it does cover the MAFs and the O2 sensors. I reviewed a good number of warranties and none of them covered the clutch, so it is just something that we will all have to be careful about mistreating.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Tough one. Check each dealer to see what they offer and their price plans.

I highly suggest $0.00 deductible. Most of the time, you take the car in and the dealer cannot duplicate the problem. Eventually, you'll find out that you will have to go to the dealer a million times until they can spot the problem. If you have a $100 deductible, that's $100 x 1 million.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can you PM me info on AAA as well?

How are aftermaket components treated? Do they void warranty on any associated components? For example, K&N filters voiding MAF coverage.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Not much to say in a PM. I bought my car with the AAA in place. The best thing to do is go to your local AAA and read the info.

The deductible is only charged if the warranty is used. If they can't find the problem they don't charge you.

Jordan

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thought 'the AAA' just offered roadside assistance, towing, etc not extended warranties too. I searched and found other companies using AAA's name, ie AAAbestwarranty.com and AAAwarrantycorp.com. These are bogus? hmmm

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
jordantii said:
The deductible is only charged if the warranty is used. If they can't find the problem they don't charge you.
But won't the BMW dealer charge you??

Can even be worse- they do a diagnostic for $150-200, but can't find the problem, then the warranty company says "no problem, no coverage". You're out $200 not the deductible.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Jerry:

I bought an extended warranty through Universal. Bought it through a local repair shop in Boca Raton. Since I've had it only one thing has gone wrong - the thermostat. That ran about $900. of which about 3/4 was covered. If you want the name of the contact, PM me.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I just got a 5/75 on my 01 w/31k miles for 3100. No deduct. "Platimnum". I did a lot of research, and even tok all of the information to SA and he says it all looks good. These guys are also one of the few that will cover a California car. If you would like any more info, please feel free to pm me. MAF's are covered.

http://www.corpmsc.com/warranties.cfm

Good luck, Hector
Riley6 said:
Who provides the best and cheapest 3rd party extended warranty? How is it determined what is normal wear and tear for coverage? For example, would MAFs always be covered under a warranty?

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Hector Lopez said:
I just got a 5/75 on my 01 w/31k miles for 3100. No deduct. "Platimnum". I did a lot of research, and even tok all of the information to SA and he says it all looks good. These guys are also one of the few that will cover a California car.
I sure hope the SA wasn't employed by the same dealer who sold it...

That is an interesting warranty as the time begins on the date of warranty purchase- but the mileage is base on total mileage. Not bad for many owners here who are buying (relatively) low mileage cars with 2,3 4 years already on them.

But boy, that's a chunk of change I'd rather put into headers! :)

A

·
Registered
51 Posts
When I purchased mine, I got a 4 year 48,000 mile warranty $100 deductible (on top of the 21300 miles it had on it when I purchased it) for about 2900. I absolutely think that it was worth it, you never know what can happen. I wish I had it on my Carrera 4 when I had to reseal the engine due to an oil leak ($5000) after only 8 months of ownership.

It is all about the piece of mind! hiha

Make sure you read the fine print with these warranties. I researched some, and it really looked like you had to jump through hoops to be reimbursed or to be covered at all. Don't just look for the best price, look for the easiest terms to deal with.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
ard said:
But won't the BMW dealer charge you??

Can even be worse- they do a diagnostic for $150-200, but can't find the problem, then the warranty company says "no problem, no coverage". You're out $200 not the deductible.
Yeap; it's all the same. The warranty company would reimburse the amount, less the deductible. The customer in turn pays the dealer. In addition if that's not the case, it's a $200 deductible for every repair in Jordantii's situation. There will be many. So, if the dealer cannot duplicate the problem now, then when they do, you will have to pay the deductible. Zero deductible, hands-down.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Le3 said:
When I purchased mine, I got a 4 year 48,000 mile warranty $100 deductible (on top of the 21300 miles it had on it when I purchased it) for about 2900. I absolutely think that it was worth it, you never know what can happen. I wish I had it on my Carrera 4 when I had to reseal the engine due to an oil leak ($5000) after only 8 months of ownership.

It is all about the piece of mind! hiha

Make sure you read the fine print with these warranties. I researched some, and it really looked like you had to jump through hoops to be reimbursed or to be covered at all. Don't just look for the best price, look for the easiest terms to deal with.
Le3, what company is your warranty with? I'm in Jersey too.

·
Registered
108 Posts
The warranty was purchased directly from the warranty company not from the dealer. The dealer wnated over 4k, and it only extended the warranty dor 2 years.
ard said:
I sure hope the SA wasn't employed by the same dealer who sold it...

That is an interesting warranty as the time begins on the date of warranty purchase- but the mileage is base on total mileage. Not bad for many owners here who are buying (relatively) low mileage cars with 2,3 4 years already on them.

But boy, that's a chunk of change I'd rather put into headers! :)

A

·
Registered
244 Posts
Just had my car at the dealer. They do not charge for a diagnostic if they don't find anything wrong.

AAA offers a warranty that they sell. It is not AAA branded just a company they use.
The prior owner has filed claimes with them and there were no problems. They approve the repair over the phone and give the dealer a credit card #.

The original price for the warranty was 1295.00 Platnum, which is full coverage.

Best,

Jordan

·
Registered
51 Posts
Riley6, I actually purchased through the dealer that I bought my M5 from. Since seeing this thread though I did more research on the company that the dealer placed me with and seems they have had some complaints about not paying. I am now thinking about cancelling the policy (According to the contract I can get a 100% refund as long as I cancel within 60 days) and getting it through AAA, seems like the company they use is pretty easy to deal with. The cost is the same.

Lots of sleazy companies out there. I found alot of the complaints on www.ripoffreport.com.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I just got 7/100K on my 02 Beast with just over 49K miles. I paid about $2400 for JA&M's Premium warranty with $100 deductable. The warranty stats from the day of the first in-service which for me is 11/01... so i have till 11/08 or 100K whatever comes first.

I got the extended maintains as well for $1495 about a year ago so now I just have to put a lot of miles on the car lets say about 17K per year...

I researched a lot and found out that the warranty you want is a exclusion warranty. There are a lot of warranties out there but I rather pay more upfront than read the fine print of what is covered later....

my $ .02 ...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts