BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a 2001 m5 with 67,000 (yes Engin this is your car] and was wondering what other readers thought about extended warranties. Not a thing wrong with the car right now and I plan on doing all the maintenance on this car that I can myself. Every review that I have read shows this to be a very reliable vehicle and I'm thinking anything major that is going to go wrong with this car is going to be after the 2 years or 20k miles is up. Is my thinking out of line? Thanks

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have an EasyCare warranty through 85k (am at 75k and bought the car at ~65k last year). PO bought the warranty through a dealer and I paid the transfer fee. Have not added it up, but I'd say the warranty has saved me ~$2000 so far and I have been happy with it. "Major repair" is relative. The largest repair to date was a siezed AC blower, which is a <$200 part, but requires about 7-8 hours of dash teardown and reassembly, so that put it over $1k. I probably won't renew the warranty though since EC quoted me over $10k to get it extended another 36k miles - I guess their actuaries are now familar with e39 BMWs :-(

Spend some time with search, as I have heard a couple of good stories about EasyCare and one or two others, but there seem to be a lot more sub par companies in this space than really good ones. Good luck.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
If the car has any mods most "late term, out of warranty" extended warranties will not cover it. Don't rely on asking about coverage or reading websites- read the policy. Most exclude failures due to mods (and all 'failures are due to mods' until after you sue them....)

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
ard, his car does have some Dinan mods but I was told they were done by the first owner. the 2nd owner got the extended warranty and didn't have any issues with the mods the 1 time he had it repaired under the warranty.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
ard, his car does have some Dinan mods but I was told they were done by the first owner. the 2nd owner got the extended warranty and didn't have any issues with the mods the 1 time he had it repaired under the warranty.
Dump that car right now, it is bad news.

ok ok, just kidding, I was interested in Engin's car, looked like a very nice example. Congrats.

My .02 cents, I say use the warranty while you have it, 2-3 months before it expires, take it in for a detailed check up and get every thing replaced. Extending the wwarranty oast 85K is going to cost you lots of money. I have been quoted between $5000-$6500.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have an extended warranty through a company called Genuine Warranty Solutions. My plan doesn't cover any of the wear and tear items on the M5, but I'll keep that warranty solely for piece of mind it provides. There's always that off chance something can go......pop or boom or whatever

As far as Mods and Warranties go, I thought the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act protected us....meaning as long as the modified part did not cause what went wrong with the vehicle, that vehicle was still covered under warranty - worth a read Warranty and Aftermarket Parts

1 - 8 of 8 Posts