BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this topic has been beaten to death. As a soon to be owner of a 2002 M5, my first purchase will be an aftermarket extended warranty. It looks like
1. 1sourceautowarranty has great coverage, even MAFS with emissions option.
2. i cannot find a dealer who will CPO it around N. VA.
3. the extended BMW warranty is for original owners only, but i was quoted $3700 before they realized it applies to original owners only.
4. AAA does not support the M5
5. warrantydirect does not support the M5

i'm not contemplating whether to buy or not, i'm seeking advice on which company to buy from. right now, the only option is 1sourceautowarranty. is there another option? any opinions/experience with 1sourceautowarranty?

since the cost of the warranty = tubi+cai, i'd like to think i'm doing my research. :)

thanks in advance!!!

James

ps. yes. i don't speak dollars anymore, but in terms of mods.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Sorry I am of not any help but I am in the same boat as you. What dealers haveyou talked to? What if they could CPO a couple cars would it be worth their while? Too many aftermarket warranty companies have folded for me to feel comfortable with them.

I just want an extended BMW warranty...how hard can this be?

-Jeff

SpiderSense said:
Sorry if this topic has been beaten to death. As a soon to be owner of a 2002 M5, my first purchase will be an aftermarket extended warranty. It looks like
1. 1sourceautowarranty has great coverage, even MAFS with emissions option.
2. i cannot find a dealer who will CPO it around N. VA.
3. the extended BMW warranty is for original owners only, but i was quoted $3700 before they realized it applies to original owners only.
4. AAA does not support the M5
5. warrantydirect does not support the M5

i'm not contemplating whether to buy or not, i'm seeking advice on which company to buy from. right now, the only option is 1sourceautowarranty. is there another option? any opinions/experience with 1sourceautowarranty?

since the cost of the warranty = tubi+cai, i'd like to think i'm doing my research. :)

thanks in advance!!!

James

ps. yes. i don't speak dollars anymore, but in terms of mods.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi

I just bought a AAA warranty for my 2000 M5 with 46,000 miles last month. 5 yrs up to a 100k miles for 3500 or so dollars with a $100 deductible. I have had the same warranty on my 1999 540iT for about 18 months and it has been fabulous. The best money I ever spent on my car.

Sincerely
Peter M

·
Registered
168 Posts
Don't know if it will cover an M5 but I had a Warrentech after-market warranty on my '97 S500C MB. Warrentech performed very well in covering many items. In fact, the warranty cost me $2250 and it paid out $3700 over 30 months. Not a bad return.

You probably know that it is critical to shop the price. My warranty price was quoted at $2250 and $2600 by two different MB dealers. There's a huge markup on this product. So, shop it hard.

Hope this helps some.
5driver

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
cpo is the best. Only costs the dealership $1295 to BMWNA...

Once you own it your options are reduced. No BMW warranty is available (officially). Neither cpo or oop apply.

Next best thing is to use the company that your BMW dealership uses or has a relationship with...

The going rate is $3500 - $3750.

If it is cheaper be careful.. good luck in 3 years when you have a claim. There are several well know cases of aftermarket companies going toes up... they don't charge enough and pay too many claims- when the money runs out the warranty co fails. Using a policy from a large company may be safer. It is also known as Mechanical Breakdown Insurance (MBI)...

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Peter,
everyone points me to AAA for the warranty but their website says it does not support the M5. am i going to the wrong AAA? please provide a link, number, or something.

looks like 1sourceautowarranty is still #1 right now. going to pull trigger sometime this week on it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
awesome. the deal is, if you call corpmsc.com, they DO offer coverage for the M5. AAA midatlantic is for my region, but operates differently. they have their own plans and services. corpmsc is corporate which i guess is better. sweet. prices for 2002 M5 is $3900 online, which is actually the price starting January 1st. if i order before end of year, it is $3210. it doesn't cover emissions like 1sourceautowarranty does, but i'd rather put my money that AAA will be around in 2010.

thanks for everyone's help.

·
Registered
12,865 Posts
SpiderSense said:
awesome. the deal is, if you call corpmsc.com, they DO offer coverage for the M5. AAA midatlantic is for my region, but operates differently. they have their own plans and services. corpmsc is corporate which i guess is better. sweet. prices for 2002 M5 is $3900 online, which is actually the price starting January 1st. if i order before end of year, it is $3210. it doesn't cover emissions like 1sourceautowarranty does, but i'd rather put my money that AAA will be around in 2010.

thanks for everyone's help.
I just looked at it. Which one did you get (there are 3 or 4 different coverages to choose from). Also, what deductible did you get? Did you deal over the internet, or talk to a "warm body"? Thanks
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i'm going to call back to place the order. of course talk to someone. their online prices were already jacked up to 2005 prices. he told me this.

of course get the platinum plan with everything on it. and of course get the zero deductible. cost is usually a couple hundred bucks cheaper, but you'll save more in the long run if you use the warranty more than 2 times - which i will since i'm spending over $3K.. :)

·
Registered
12,865 Posts
SpiderSense said:
i'm going to call back to place the order. of course talk to someone. their online prices were already jacked up to 2005 prices. he told me this.

of course get the platinum plan with everything on it. and of course get the zero deductible. cost is usually a couple hundred bucks cheaper, but you'll save more in the long run if you use the warranty more than 2 times - which i will since i'm spending over $3K.. :)
OK, thanks. Depending on the mileage (looks like the coverage is "up to"), I would prob do the 60 or 72 months/100k. For me that would be 5-6 years and 60,000 additional miles or less than 12k miles per year. If the deductible difference between $0 and $100 or $200 is only $200--$300, I agree. I am using extended warranty for catastrophic failures, not just repairs. I will use the same salesperson if you are happy with the person you talk to, that might help us both. Let me know. thanks cherrsagai
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
will do.. i'll run outside, get the odometer reading, and order the warranty.. if all goes well, i'll pass the salesman's number around.
:)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hey Guys, just tracking your thread. I bought the AAA warranty for my '01 and based on what I've heard from others, as well as the terms I got from the sales person, it can't be beat. I purchased the 5yr/75K mile plan...which cost $2500, with $100 deductible...also covers Nav system. If you're going with AAA, make sure this is covered and in writing!!!

Good luck, and hope it all works out. If anyone needs specific contact info for the NJ area, email me.

:2:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
AAA told me they do not cover emissions or the nav system. it states so in their platinum exclusion section. but i'm not too worried about these items. i still have not gotten around to ordering. but will do soon. if you have a guy that gives extra attention, let me know.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Spider I am in the same boat as you. I am also leaning towars the 1sourceautowarranty. They quoted me 2200 for 4yr 75k. I feel like their warranty is more inclusive then the AAA one is.

Have you made a decision?

·
Registered
208 Posts
DIPLOMAT said:
Spider I am in the same boat as you. I am also leaning towars the 1sourceautowarranty. They quoted me 2200 for 4yr 75k. I feel like their warranty is more inclusive then the AAA one is.

Have you made a decision?
Diplomat,
I bought 1sourcewarranty in September and have since made 2 claims both of which were approved completely hassle free. Because my car has under 50k miles they also included free of charge a full emmission system warranty (o2 sensors, maf's etc...). They also cover nav and audio system.
I'm very pleased so far.
Cheers,

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
diplomat,
i have decided to go with AAA even though they cover less than 1sourceautowarranty. i'm just afraid of the aftermarket warranty company scams like warranty gold. i'll stick with name brand. i'm willing to bet AAA will be around longer than the other guy.

i'm paying between 3100 - 3500 regardless of who i choose. but whatever you do, buy before the new year. your car will be considered another year older and rates go up significantly.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Last month I had a SES light on my 540iT. Tech told me it was the electric fan and o2 sensors. He felt that my AAA warranty would cover the fan but not the sensors as BMWs extended warranty would not cover them. AAA covered everything, much to his surprise.

I also went with AAA because I felt that they were unlikely to go under. After paying 2500 for my 540 warranty and now 3500 for my M5 (5yrs/100K miles, $100 deductible) I wanted to be sure of the warranty co. solvency.

For you guys considering. Be aware that if you take a $0 deductible you have to pay the entire cost up front. If you take a deductible plan you can pay over 1 year. But if you have a claim, you must pay the entire claim and that amount (less deductible) is deducted from your balance owed. They had too many people screwing them, I was told.

I got the prices online but dealt with a human for the final transaction.

Merry Christmas
Peter M :2:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Just another option to consider that may be available to you, I purchased a 4 yr/75k mile warranty through my local BMW dealer from EasyCare, cost was $2550. It is the "specific exclusion" type and covers essentially everything except window glass, some interior trim bits, and wear items. Also covers tires and rims, and covers all the dinan S2 mods (one dented Dinan rim will pay back nearly half the cost). Seemed like a good idea and peace of mind for next 4 years. Needed to be done within first 40k miles, I made it in at 39700. Have not made a claim as yet but expect minimal issues since sold through dealer where I have service done.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts